Cloth cap fashion item

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Jerry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Cloth cap fashion item

Post by Jerry »

Sales of flat caps have risen by 82% this year. Most are being sold in the South East of England.

As Bobby Thompson, the Little Waster used to say: 'If flat caps are good enough for the royal family, they're good enough for me.'

Flat caps were handy (could be kept in the pocket); and were universal among the working people in London and New York as well as in industrial Britain. Posh folk wore toppers etc. which couldn't. They had servants to see to that, you see.

I see Tyneside worthies are still moaning about the Geordie 'image' of cloth cap and whippet.

Nobody in the South ever mentions them. Ant n'Dec are more the mark, Jill Halfpenny, Ross Noble, Alan Shearer. Anyway Andy Capp is syndicated in 50 countries. He's been mentioned on the Simpsons. Get used to it.

What's the 'image' of a Frenchman - beret, hooped jersey, string of onions, Thierry Henri, Eric Cantona, Allo Allo? Who gives a damn?

The Italians - Ferrari cars, mafiosi, ice-cream men?
http://www.myersnorth.co.uk

Either everybody matters or nobody matters
Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

POST TOPIC

Post by Globalmyths »

I note you never mentioned or rather did not give a description of a Kiwi, so please allow me the honour.

Strong work toughened but gentle hands a rugged hard but gentle face toughened by the constant exposure to the elements. Quite well mannered man and smells of sheep. And wears a Sou Wester and Oilskin waterproof coats, pants and gumboots to keep themselves dry and warm from the howling gales roaring down the slopes of the Southern Alps.
Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Cloth cap fashion item

Post by Globalmyths »

And would make an excellent husband for some young Bridget Bardot look alikes.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't
memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Re: Cloth cap fashion item

Post by memor »

Flat caps in the South are called.

"CHEESE CUTTERS."

Don't ask me why but they are
I always value Pilots wit and input