HENDRIX IN SOUTH SHIELDS WERE YOU THERE ????

Local History for Tyne & Wear
El Gringo
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Re: HENDRIX IN SOUTH SHIELDS WERE YOU THERE ????

Post by El Gringo »

Amazing ! I wonder where it is now. You must be gutted about selling it. Did you get his autograph ? Last night I was playing with my band and got talking to a lad who was at a Hendrix gig at the Marquee club in London. He met Jimi and had a photograph signed which he still has.

Can you tell me any more about the hole in the ceiling ? There is a similar story which refers to the gig he did at the Club A Go Go in Newcastle 10th March 1967. The reports say he stuck his guitar into the ceiling and then continued to play it while it hung there. I wonder if this story actually refers to the Cellar Club gig rather than the Newcastle one.

Can you remember how long he played for and any of the songs he did ?

Shame you lost contact with your old drummer. There is a website which suggests a recording exists so maybe it was recorded by someone else not in your band. The link is http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/St ... ord67.html

Here are the original adverts from the gazette. One from the day of the gig and one from the week previously. The Top Twenty clip is from Thursday 2nd February 1967 and shows Hey Joe had reached number 4 when the Cellar Club gig took place.

Image Image Image

I have also got hold of a picture of the ticket from someone in the USA .....

Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Axeman »

This is all great stuff..

Some great tracks and bands in that weeks top 20..

Happy jack...The Who

I feel Free....The Cream

Lets Spend the Night Together.....The Stones..

WWW.NEWHARTLEYSERVICES.CO.UK. SAVE SAVE SAVE. Swap to a cheaper, better service.
Play in an on-line lottery syndicate...WWW.BETLOTT.COM
offthewall
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by offthewall »

Gringo,
No, I don't know where it is now. I do remember who I sold it to, though. One of my biggest regrets!
Regarding the hole in the ceiling. If you look at the pics you posted, there was a sort of plasterboard false ceiling disc above the revolving stage. The whole thing moved round as a unit. This is what he poked his strat through. I'm not sure if it was really just an accident, but it had the crowd delighted. The hole stayed there, unrepaired, for a very long time afterwards.
We didn't get any autographs. There just wasn't time. I don't remember what songs were played or much else about the night at all. I think we were a bit *in shock* at having to actually go on and do a set while everyone was waiting for the great man. A very daunting *experience*.
I certainly don't think the drummer had any sort of recording. I would have known about it.
:wink:
El Gringo
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by El Gringo »

Offthewall , this is all fascinating stuff. I think I've seen you play probably around 1981 or 1982 ? I used to go down to the New Crown where they had a blues night and it was run by a band called the Bond. That must have been you yeah ? I remember the guitars and bass used to get swapped around so who was the actual bass player I don't know. Possibly a white precision bass if my memory serves me correctly. People used to get up and jam a lot and I remember one night three young lads got up and played an amazing version of Johnny Be Goode followed by Smoke on the Water ! I still remember it 27 years later ! I wonder who they were. I'll put a little writeup on the Bond on my website if that's ok ? I have some good info on the support band for Hendrix's Darlington gig the following night so something about you too will be interesting. Could you send me a bit of info like who was in the band , what bands you were in before , how you got together and where you ended up later ? That kind of thing. It would be great if you could. A photo would be excellent.

Anway , back to the Cellar Club. That's interesting about the opening night in December 1966 with the Cream. I have dug out the advert from the gazette which says the support band were called The Trend. Does anyone remember them ? Were they from Shields ?
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

gringo here is a long shot, i am a printer by trade and just looking at that hendrix ticket i can see it was printed by the letterpress process, just a guess but the next street along from the cellar club is dean printing works "11 Franklin Street" its worth a shot to pop in and ask them if they ever keep any of the tickets etc from the cellar club if they were the printers involved
offthewall
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by offthewall »

Gringo,
I like your style so I tell you a couple of tales. BUT....nothing here is for publication....just between us sanddancers....right?

First off. I did play a white Precision, but I retired from public playing in 1975, so it wasn't me at the New Crown.
A quick potted history of the Bond.
I'm a bad one to ask about this sort of thing 'cos I was always on the p**s at the time which does cloud the old memory banks.
The Bond was made up of an amalgam of two groups. Les Gofton and Dave Bainbridge (both guitarists) from the Sneakers. Myself (bass) and Robin Thompson (drums) from The Way In. Hence the name, bonding two defunct groups together. This was coined by our manager Dave Walker (who is now the famous Erasmus Bottle).
The initial magic of the group was the opposite attractions of Les and Dave. Two guitar players of quite different styles, Dave being the (Clapton style) perfectionist with a clean crisp Telecaster blues style and Les with his country blues/folk based improvisations. These variations led to the band playing a wide range of material from the (standard first number) guitar translation of Midnight Hour to a whole range of extended versions of numbers from the catalogue of Bluesbreakers, Cream, Hendrix, together with many standards from the motown stable...done in our own style.
As was the usual tale, personality differences were the downfall. From my own point of view, I was the youngest member (only 17 I think) but did partake far too much of the brown stuff. The guitar players were usually off on separate ego trips and ....well the last I remember (which is all very blurred) Rob the drummer went his own way to be replaced by another excellent drummer (who I won't name as he is a member of this board but hasn't declared a stake in this discussion, so I respect his privacy) for a short period. I think there was still some unrest which ended up with myself and this other drummer taking a (short) job with the famous Pat Grover from Hebburn in his band called One More Mile. This, again for personality clash reasons, didn't last very long.
After that I gave up the Blues/Rock scene altogether and drifted into the folk scene where I played acoustic bass and other instruments in a band called Crooked Oak.
I met my present wife in '74 and gave up public playing in '75.
I now play and record at home, doing musical collaborations on the internet with people from all over the world, from my home built studio in the attic.
If you want any more detailed information you are welcome to PM me and we'll see what I can dredge up.
:wink:
El Gringo
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by El Gringo »

Jimmywizz , thanks for the tip off about the printers.

Offthewall , sure no problem. I'll leave your tales off the website if you prefer and not quote you though I'd still like to use the bit about the hole in the ceiling if that's ok ? I'll not put any of your stuff on there without your permission. How about I PM you a draft with your quotes included and you can delete the ones you don't want me to use ? I'm mainly asking out of my own interest anyway , the website is just an idea for fellow Hendrix fans to read up on our local history of the great man. Did you know Hendrix may have started out in Newcastle ? When he first came to England in September 1966 he moved in with Chas Chandler in his London flat but it is said they spent some time staying at Chas's Mam's flat on Second Avenue in Heaton (where Chas had lived until the animals took off and he moved to London in 1964). While there Jimi is rumoured to have done some busking on Chillingham Road. There was a story about this in the Chronicle and I've seen it on the internet too. He was a complete unknown at the time of course , the Experience didn't get off the ground until later. I wonder how many people walked past him without realising.

Shame it wasn't you I saw with the Bond at the New Crown. I've met Erasmus Bottle a couple of times (though I think it was before he was called that) in the Alum House. I haven't seen him in there for a while now though. Good to hear you still play. Collaborations are easy with the internet nowadays , I've done a bit of that myself too. Thanks for the info on the Bond , all interesting stuff.

A bit more on the Cellar Club gig. This cutting is from the book "Jimi Hendrix - The Visual Documentary" by Tony Brown 1992. Noel Redding's quote suggests that he had to use one of your amps , is that true ? Also , the photos I posted earlier show black shapes on the wall behind Jimi , is that writing or just abstract patterns on the wall ?

captain beefheart
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by captain beefheart »

Of course i was there, it was a week or two after cream played and ginger baker was found zonked out in the bins at the back
offthewall
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by offthewall »

Hey Gringo.
This has been an interesting chat.
I've heard that tale before, about them borrowing an amp, but I have no recollection of that happening.
Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths »

Did you also paint pictures ofthewall?
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't
El Gringo
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by El Gringo »

Hi Offthe wall , I have just bought Noel Redding's book and he says in there that he tried the other bands amp but it was buzzing too much so they plugged him straight into the PA instead. That solves that one.

My new website is now online (but with a lot of blank pages still to fill in) and there will be some publicity about it in the Shields Gazette in the next day or so. If anyone else has any memories of Jimi Hendrix in our region then please get in touch.

The website is http://www.hendrixnortheast.co.uk
offthewall
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by offthewall »

Website is looking good, Gringo.
Well done.
El Gringo
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by El Gringo »

Thanks mate , I will keep updating it as more information is researched so keep checking back.

Cheers ,

El Gringo
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

El Gringo nice site but you have a small bug in it, the links on the left hand side scroll down off the page any your unable to see them, this might be ok on your pc, have a look at your site on a few of your mates computers and you might be able to see the problem
El Gringo
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by El Gringo »

Thanks Jimmywhiz ,
I have made some changes so it should hopefully work better now. Let me know if it still does not fit on your screen.

Cheers.
El Gringo
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by El Gringo »

I came across this great picture from the Cellar Club in 1967 which shows the revolving stage. The band in the picture is called "Jazzboard" and the guitar player at the far left with his back to the camera is Les Gofton from the Bond.

offthewall
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by offthewall »

Hey, El Gringo,
I just been looking at you site.
You done a great job there, man.
=D>