Donnely's Boat Yard

Local History for Tyne & Wear
captain beefheart
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Donnely's Boat Yard

Post by captain beefheart »

The previous post about Kirtons got me thinking about Donnely's boat yard which was in this area, what happened to it??, i recall getting rowing boats out and rowing up to the pier entrance and getting swamped by waves or ships coming in, how we were never drowned its beyond me but it seemed just a bit of fun, no doubt today there would be a myriad or rules and regulations to stop you or parents would not be letting their little darlings out of their sight.
Glad i was young in the 50's 60's
star
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by star »

My ancestors, who lived on Kirtons Quay during the late 1870's and early 1880's (hence the previous post!! :D ), worked in the dockyards. John was a ship builder and his wife a dockyard labourer. What type of ships were being built at this time? Which dockyards might they have been? Can anyone give me an insight??!! :D
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

There were Shipbuilding Yards, Dockyards, Graving Docks and boatbuilders, ship repair yards also; so one has to assume that they made just about anything that floated as there were so many of them.
star
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by star »

I see!
Lots of ships then!!!

Thankyou!! :D
tonnee
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

donnelys boat yard

Post by tonnee »

my dad and uncle jimmy (r. i. p ) had there boat moored there from
about 1975 to about 1989 thats when my uncle jimmy woodhalve died
and my dad sold the boat i used to go out fishing every weekend in the summer till i left school in 1979 started work and hit the drink
i remember the owner was seppi donnely ( r. i. p ) im not sure if
the son ralph is still keeping the yard going