1914-18 War Memorial Garden

Local History for Tyne & Wear
nesr012

1914-18 War Memorial Garden

Post by nesr012 »

These two pics are of the War Memorial for fallen Soldiers and Naval personal who served their country in the Great War of 1914-1918. This little plot of land is adjacent the church at the top of Mile End Road opposite the Beehive PH.
Does anyone have any information on this little gem "Erected in honour of the men of Wellington Street"?
hartman045
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: 1914-18 War Memorial Garden

Post by hartman045 »

The Roll of Honour is probably from Wellington St, saved when the street was demolished. Nearly all streets had plaques of those residents who had fallen during the Great War. Few, if any of these plaques survive. They were usually attached to a house at the end of the street, sometimes, one at each end. The shame will live forever with the people responsible for not ensuring athat, when these streets were bull dozed, the memories of these heroes were not treat with the respect and the dignity they deserved.
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

to true, my nana lost 2 of her brothers in the 1st world war and their names were on a plaque in trinty church, when the church was pulled down she never found what happend to the plaque
Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths »

It seems strange that as a country Great Britain has been famous all over the world for holding onto such values, historical buildings. and national heritage etc, and etc, for example you only need to look as far as Hadrian's wall in your neck of the woods. And yet has not had the gumption and or the for sight to keep preseve and honour by an appropriate memorial all those who gave their lives in the Great War.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

It beggars belief that my grandfather, who was killed in the first world war; has his name
on a memorial on the Continent but nothing in his home town. I suspect that this is the
same for many more of those brave men who sacrificed their lives for their country in
two world wars.

"LEST WE FORGET"

It would seem to me that too many people already have.

8)
nesr012

Post by nesr012 »

I have been informed that the church of ST. Stephens is the church of the Tyne Pilots, and the burial ground within its gardens is of great significance to them, as to be burried he is a sign of great standing and importance to the people of the River Tyne.
I do not know therefore why the list of dead from the Great War is here - was Welllington Street in this area?
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Wellington Street and Wellington Place were just across the other side of Mile End Road from the Church.

8)
captain beefheart
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by captain beefheart »

This issue was riased on a programme by Ian Hislop (have i got news for you fame) and they found a load of these stacked up in council yard in i think gateshead, so someone thought about it but we don't seem to know what to do with them
Pooter
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pooter »

Janis Blower had a photo of a memorial in John Williamson Street in her column about two years ago. I lived there from 1950 - 1974 but never knew it had existed.

The Ian Hislop Channel 4 programme was called "Not Forgotten" and is well worth watching if you haven't seen it before. It often crops up on the Sky channels.
hartman045
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by hartman045 »

Here is a friend of mine and also a local historian, I snapped inspecting a WW1 memorial and a closer view, we discovered in a corridoor in the Pelaw Shirt Factory on Shields Road. They are due to move and they have assured us that it will be going with them to Washington where they are re-locating. Just to make sure we are keeping an eye on it.

jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

thats scary to see how many men died just from one firm
hartman045
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by hartman045 »

That was in only one year :cry:
martha
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by martha »

The war memorial was paid for by the residents of wellington street as many of those named on the memorial lived in wellington street - including one of my relatives. I once read a very interesting article on the memorial and it talked about the ' wellington street pals' - can't remember where i read it but wish i could
Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths »

My little village of Ngaere where I lived and had my education had a War Memorial hall where we had dances every Saturday night, public concerts, our Sunday school on Sunday afternoons as we never had a church. The Country womens institute met there once a fortnight, Our primary school would have a end of school year fancy dress ball with a visit by Santa, and in pride of place inside this hall was a very large and very beautiful ornate plaque honours board with gold lettering of every person from the Ngaere area who had served, survived or died, during the first and second world wars. And I used to look at it with great pride because my big brothers name was on it.

Hector Raymond Douglas AB SEAMAN. and when he died a few years ago he was given a full military funeral by the members of the returned services association in Taupo New Zealand.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't
Rocker
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Rocker »

There are a family of brothers called Nezzworthy on plaque, one of whom won the Military Medal.
I often have a cuppa with his son Larry in St Hildas who is now in his late 70s.
His father actually survived the war, its amazing how these young children grew up and played together in Wellington street and then went away and fought and died together.