Coast Guards

Leave your remarks about life in South Shields / South Tyneside

Moderator: andysfootball

anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Coast Guards

Post by anna »

I want to say a big thank you to our Coast Guards..
What started out as a lazy sunday afternoon,it turned out to be a scary few hours for me .
I drove down to Marsden Grotto,parked in the car park,let my little Jack Russell dog out, and started walking along the foot path along the cliff top,she was doing the usual running around,and jumping about,as she gets exited when i take her there.
I had been walking for a few minutes ,then looked round to see where she was ,,and i couldnt see her anywhere,so i started shouting her name [tilly] thinking she would come out of the longer grass and run towards me ,as she is only tiny ,she is hard to see in long grass, but she didnt come ,, i walked back over my steps towards the car park,, and still shouting of her ,,but she was nowhere to be seen ,, i asked passers by,if they had seen a little white jack russell ,, they said no...
now i was getting worried ,, I decided to walk down the steps at the grotto ,thinking maybe she had gone down to the beach, but i knew in my mind ,, she didnt have time to get all the way down the steps ,plus without been seen by people i had asked..
I reached the bottom, and asked anybody and everybody if they had seen her,, they all said no.
I walked back up to the car park,, still shouting her name ,, i got in my car ,and drove down towards the mintchella ice cream parlour,at bottom of marsden bank,, got out there ,,and walked along lease, just incase she had decieded to follow any dogs that where there.. no,,, she was nowhere to be seen ...
I had this nagging thought in my head,about her falling of the cliff tops where we first walked along,,, I drove back to the grotto,, by this time i was scared,, as i new she would not have gone away from me ,she never leaves my side,, I went back down the stairs at the grotto,, and walked along beach ,, i walked to the area, which was below the car park,, i looked all around ,,the rocks thinking the worst , then i looked up ,,i could see a ledge half way down,,and i spotted her little white ears sticking up,, she had fell half way down the cliff and landed on a small ledge,, I shouted of her ,,and she moved slightly,, i started to panic,, as how i was going to get her,, the tide was com,ing in ,, and she wasnt able to stand.. A passer by called to me ,,phone the coast guard.. so i did ,, they said they would send somebody straight over , told me to wait there..
Well i wasnt sure how long they would be ,so i tried to get up cliff, but couldnt.. so i moved down the beach a little and tried again to climb up to reach her,, i got so far up,, and got bloody stuck myself ,, i couldnt go up or down...
The Coast Guard arrived ,, thank the lord,, and got me and my dog.. i got my hands slapped for climbing up instead of waiting for them .. :(
But i want to say a big thank you to them men ,, they were brilliant,, and i repect the work they do in saving people in any sittuation,, they were very caring and checked my dog out for me ,,advised me to take her to vet ,,as she was not stable on her feet..
I drove straight to the vets,, they give her an injection for the pain,,as they said she has taking a very bad fall ,,and they want to see her again tommorow ,,no broken bones ,,but her breathing is not right ,,and there a little worried about her cheast...
She is back home now ,,tucked up in bed ,,in front of the fire,, i think she is in shock ,bless her .. but hopefully she be ok,,the vet said she is a very lucky little dog ,, but very bruised and she will be sore,,
so no more cliff top walks for me ,,i will stick to the school field from now on..
BIG THANKS TO JERARD AND NEIL, FROM SUNDERLAND COAST GUARDS.
northern

Post by northern »

The motto of the RNLI is with courage anything is possible.
Heros every last jack of them.
Well done for the attempted rescue . yes just read you got slapped wrist, my mistake. :D
Last edited by northern on Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cushy butterfield
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by cushy butterfield »

Thank goodness your both ok. I bet your heart was pounding when you couldnt find her. I have a little yorkie so I know how you must have both felt. Glad both OK let us know how the vets visit goes. :(
life is not how many breathes you take its how much life takes your breath away
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

Thanks Marrasis ,, im ok ..tilly a bit out of sorts,,but it could have been worse i suppose,,.
and i did get my hands slapped northern,, :? felt real daft coz little did i notice the spectators had gatherd round ,,and im stuck half way up a cliff, with my denim skirt on.. :D looking like a real dafty .. :oops:
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

aarr thanks cushy,, i will let you no .. :wink:
GeordieMa
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by GeordieMa »

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!
Anna what a day.
Ma.
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

i no Geordie .. wish i stayed in ,,like i had planned,, :D
GeordieMa
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by GeordieMa »

Anna
Glad your nerves held out.
I would have been a complete wreck.
Ma.
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

Beleive me ,i was ,, i thought i could do it easy ,,i wanted to save my baby,,she was needing me ,,so i tried to get to her,, its scary up them cliffs,, with little to hold on to ,, :cry:
i know it was a stupid thing to do,, but i was just in a panic to get to her..
Rosie
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Rosie »

I'm glad you are OK Anna.
Life doesn't have an undo button
Ugly Betty
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Ugly Betty »

Good grief, Anna, what a harrowing experience! Thankfully you're both still with us. My best wishes for Tilly's full rebound. I likely would have done the same thing. When you're in a panic, you don't stop to think, you just act.

I'm so glad the Coast Guard guys got you both safely down. =D>

By the way, was Curly covering this local breaking news? :wink:
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri »

Tilly is so lucky the ledge was there to break the fall, as it could have been so much worse if she had tumbled all the way down. I am glad you are both alive to tell the tale though it sounds as if she will need some watching. Don't like the sound of that breathing.
You are right-the coastguard and people like that do a great job.
wong
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by wong »

AWW anna , I was picturing my little jack russell when I was reading that.
I'm SOO glad your both ok....I could just imagine wanting to get to her, I would have done the same.
My babies...

Oh Well, just a bit longer ...sigh !
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri »

That dog of yours just has the most gorgeous look about him, wong. I am sure you could win photo competitions with some of the shots you have shown us in the past. he looks to have such a lovely nature.
Jake
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jake »

Good job you phoned the coastguard,
if you had sent a text message, they would not have been able to understand a word of your writing.

I hope your dogs cheast is alright.
northern

Post by northern »

Last edited by northern on Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

Tune in next week folks to "Anna the cliff hanger" :wink:
I voted leave

Jake
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jake »

northern, nutcase,
are you stalking me, still dont understand anything you post,
writing, typing, texting,
so what,

Now get back to your cooking and ironing before the wife gets angry,
while us proper men, ( I have never cooked a meal in my life, thats what I got married for ) go to the pub.
johnc10
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by johnc10 »

Does this mean i'm not a proper man because I do most of the cooking in our house? :roll:
johnc10
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by johnc10 »

Or does it just mean i'm not a chauvinist? :roll: