BARGAINS

Leave your remarks about life in South Shields / South Tyneside

Moderator: andysfootball

comeonthen
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

BARGAINS

Post by comeonthen »

I bought a wooden carved african head from a second hand shop for 70p. I took it to an Antique Roadshow where it was valued at £100 - £150.
I took a very old bead necklace for a free valuation. I had paid very little for it. It was worth, according to them, £80 - £120.
I took both items to Boldon Auctions to sell, they told me that both of them were worthless.
What's going on.
Has anybody else bought anything very cheap and later found out that it was worth a lot of money. Or have you paid a lot for something and later found out it was worthless.
comeonthen
drwho
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: BARGAINS

Post by drwho »

comeonthen wrote:I bought a wooden carved african head from a second hand shop for 70p. I took it to an Antique Roadshow where it was valued at £100 - £150.
I took a very old bead necklace for a free valuation. I had paid very little for it. It was worth, according to them, £80 - £120.
I took both items to Boldon Auctions to sell, they told me that both of them were worthless.
What's going on.
Has anybody else bought anything very cheap and later found out that it was worth a lot of money. Or have you paid a lot for something and later found out it was worthless.
comeonthen
Hi comeonthen i have some small items i would like to know the value of have been down to boldon auctions only to be told
contact some one and they would come and value them what i have got is not worth what they would probably chargh.
tardis taxi's
comeonthen
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by comeonthen »

Boldon Auctions charges
15% on top of hammer price to buy
17.5% of selling price charged to seller
£40 an hour to deliver to your home. (From their door back to their door)
Is this fair or is this normal.
I'm for ebay me
comeonthen
StottieCake
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by StottieCake »

I have Queensland Red Queen Victoria stamps my dad brought back from Austrailia after WW2. Postmarked from 1887 to 1901 The family he had been staying with said they may be worth something (this was in 1944) and he kept them. Around 1998 I took them to Cobbets in Newcastle and they were valued at 12p and 18p each which was less even then than a second class stamp so (disappointed) he stuck them on the grandbairns Christmas cards along with the usual stamp. I still have a few left and have considered e-bay or to give them to anyone who would be interested enough.

I like to visit Boldon auctions and sometimes it makes me very sad to see peoples lives in a cardboard box - one day there was a box with someones diplomas, and other stuff along with a camera that still had the film half used in it It was sold for less than £5 if I remember rightly. My imaginaion got the better of me and it broke my heart to think he had nobody to leave it to. :(

Sometimes when I watch Antiques Roadshow I think the expensive stuff is a load of rubbish

- Is this why I'm not rich? :D
comeonthen
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by comeonthen »

has nobody had a bargain. I sectioned myself and I got a nice little room, bed, television, computer, free meals. It cost nothing, Is that not a bargain? If I stretch up I can look out the window but I have to be careful in case I get caught.
comeonthen
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

Bless....
comeonthen
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by comeonthen »