South Shields FC

Local History for Tyne & Wear
hartman045
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

South Shields FC

Post by hartman045 »

South Shields FC at Simonside Hall c1970/71 against Sunderland reserves. Len Smith the Shields centre forward is the player above the number 7. Sunderland reserves always attrcted a big crowd and I never saw a match when the beat Shields. If I remember rightly the score here was 7-1 to Shields.
I am posting this as I saw an ealier post somewhere about Shields FC when they played here. I was a regular and loved watching them. I have a couple of other pics and a program from those days I will post. I remember when they beat York City 3-1 n the FA Cup. The first match in the Northern Premier League when they beat Northwich Victoria 5-1 and the huge gate when they played Sunderland Reserves. Some team names I remember are Robinson, Donaghue, Smith, Cardew and Bobby Elwell.
Sorry I have been absent for a while amogst things that have kept me away are my web sites and another stint of jury service.. My apologies to Sless but I will be in contact soon. I will also post a peice about Alf O'Brien.

Pooter
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: South Shields FC

Post by Pooter »

I don't think that is the 7-1 win over Sunderland Reserves as that was a night game in the week before they played York City in the cup on the Saturday.

No doubt somebody will have all the facts at their fingertips.
Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths »

A very good action shot.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

hi hartman, glad to see you back, great photo of shields fc, the club has just been promoted and big things may be in the pipeline for them
Pooter
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pooter »

From memory Bert Garrow was probably one of the biggest goalkeepers I saw. They had two good full backs, Colin Lemon and Billy Thompson, half backs Tommy Pigford and Bobby Elwell, Centre half Ron Rutherford. A forward line of Billy Robinson, Billy Graham, Len Smith, Norman Cardew and Gerry Donoghue. I think this was the team that beat Sunderland Reserves and then York City.

I can remember a crowd of about 10,000 at Simonside Hall in 1969 (?) when they played Hereford Utd in a North v South challenge match. We drew 0-0 at home but lost the away match. It was a tragedy when they left Simonside Hall.
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

no problem
:wink:
mr-angry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by mr-angry »

I was there when England schoolboys played Germany scholboys in the early seventies, I think the score was 4-1 to England, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
South Shields, I was born here, and I'll d*e here
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

Remeber well Billy Thompson is my cousin, Remember u16 International schoolboys match England v Scotland anybody else remember it
Rocker
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Rocker »

Great pic , can you post it on South Shields FC message board.
As any pictures like this will be greatly appreciated by the SSFC supporters.

Onwards and Upwards the Mariners =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
hartman045
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by hartman045 »

Will do Rocker, but I have another one of Bobby Elwell leading the team out. When I find it I will post both.And yes I remember Billy Thompson too :)
MACKEMTREV
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by MACKEMTREV »

Who was the centre forward of the late 60s who hardly ever went forward but when he did he nearly always scored?

Trev
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

hi trev welcome to our message boards
Rocker
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Rocker »

Cheers for putting pics on SSFC message boards Hartman, it has certainly caused great interest among us diehard SSFC Supporters.

Excellent to see the Old 17th Century Manor house in background which was destroyed for awful bloody housing estate. The labour council should be ashamed of itself , must have surely been a listed building. But thats another story of a certain Mr Leighton selling SSFC down the river.

Onwards and Upwards The Mariners =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

Seen photo of Bobby Ellwell leading team out, at the back is my cousin Billy Thompson at the back
Strike
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by Strike »

I remember the Sunderland Res game because after the match I ran after Jim Baxter for miles, well, it seemed like miles, and when I finally caught up with him he said;" f**k off lad, I'm busy". I only wanted his autograph, and being a Sunderland fan I was upset. I hated him after that but he was crap for us anyway, well on his way to alcoholism! I think the match was in the mid to late 60's. Anyroad, Len Smith was a legend, and used to be a goalkeeper. I remember seeing him going in goal and saving a penalty, after he'd scored a hat trick, or is that an urban myth.
Pooter
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pooter »

Len Smith went in goal at QPR in the cup in 1970 when Bert Garrow got injured. He never scored a hat trick though as we lost 4-1.