NZ Jacking in the Jack

Leave your remarks about life in South Shields / South Tyneside

Moderator: andysfootball

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

NZ Jacking in the Jack

Post by Pilot »

New Zealand's prime minister, Helen Clark, has suggested removing the Union flag from her country's national flag.

Ms Clark said that removing the British emblem would "New Zealandise" the flag, leaving it as a stylised Southern Cross on a blue background.

New Zealanders have agonised for years over whether to change their national emblem, with some recoiling at the inclusion of the Union flag and wanting it replaced with a Maori-influenced design.

The most favoured alternative design is a silver fern, in Maori a ponga, on a black background — the emblem of the All Blacks national rugby team since 1893.

Others argue that the flag needs to be changed because it is all but identical to the Australian flag — only the colour and number of the Southern Cross stars are different.

Monarchists fear the removal of the Union flag could be the first step in a drive towards declaring New Zealand a republic.

advertisement
An editorial in the New Zealand Herald said Ms Clark's suggestion should be opposed.

"The Southern Cross in a sea of blue locates us in the South Pacific and the Union flag in the corner represents our many positive British traditions," it said. "In a world racked by conflict, corruption, intolerance and bad governance, these traditions should be protected and encouraged."

But Ms Clark said New Zealand could ditch the Union flag, just as Canada adopted its maple leaf flag in 1964, without having to become a republic or change its constitutional relationship with Britain.

The two issues should be kept separate, she said. "I think people could debate the flag the way Canada did when it transitioned to the maple leaf without it calling into question the basic constitutional status. Canada, of course, still recognises the Queen as its head of state as well," she said.

Her suggestion sparked an intense debate in online newspaper forums, with some contributors in favour of the change.

"Our flag does not fill me with pride and has no real meaning for most. It is far too similar to the Australian flag," one New Zealand Herald reader wrote.

But others said the flag represented New Zealand's British heritage and should be retained.

"One thing that many people seem to have forgotten is that we have inherited the British political and justice systems. The Union flag represents this and I believe is something that is under valued," wrote another reader.

An Auckland man said New Zealand forces had fought under the flag in two world wars. "It's part of our history, it's who we are and it allies us with friends," he said.

Two years ago a lobby group, NZFlag.com, attempted to collect 270,000 signatures — 10 per cent of eligible voters — to force a referendum on changing the flag.

The campaign was abandoned when the petition did not attract enough supporters

Bloomin Heck Global, what's all this about :shock:
I voted leave

Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: NZ Jacking in the Jack

Post by Globalmyths »

The ponga is a tree fern and is also found in Australia. The silver fern is a true fern and totally unrelated to the ponga which is pronounced as punga. Otherwise an interesting article.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri »

Hmm, I hope NZ doesn't decide on the southern cross on blue background, as that is one of the aussie standby's in case we change our flag!

I think Canada's change of flag was wildly successful-mainly because their flag is distinctive.Their culture is so different, too. They are a nation without the usual united national spirit as they are virtually divided in two, so it made sense to have a flag divorced from the union jack.

If NZ did change its flag, I think a black flag with the white ponga could be a real alternative as the colour is very different. Simple yet stand out. Very effective and also it has the advantage it is already associated with NZ in the sporting world. The current flag is very very similar to the aussie flag.
Not that most other nations recognise either of them anyway. LOL

So many national flags are just a combination of stripes-stripes up, stripes down, stripes in this colour, stripes in that colour. No wonder flags such as the union jack or the stars and stripes or the maple leaf are instantly recognisable.

The other thing I associate with NZ is the tiki but whetehr that would be specifically NZ enough I don't know as other places have their own versions of the tiki.
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

Yep, definitely seeing another side to Rocky, first kittens now poetry! :D
I voted leave

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

Actually Rocky quite a few of Shakespeare's plays are quite good, I've seen a few over the years, I remember the "Merry Wives of Windsor" especially, was very funny I didn't think I would enjoy it but I was mistaken, give it a go. :wink:
I voted leave

Ugly Betty
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Ugly Betty »

Hahaha, Rocky, that was good. I think you missed your calling. :lol:
andysfootball

Post by andysfootball »

rocky never misses a calling

he calls the social every thursday

to make sure the cheque is in the mail
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON
andysfootball

Post by andysfootball »

pilot you are wasting your time

trying to introduce rocky to shakespeare

he thinks it about africans pointing sticks at him
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON
mrp
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by mrp »

Australia should annex North and South Aoerotoa and the flag dispute is sovled.
Insulus cruentam atque bella. Si pugnaverunt eleutheria toties vis bello itidem vel libertatibus conservare autem?
Ad liberandum aliis fieri liberior.
max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom »

I say jack off.
By attending a presentation or briefing, or accepting, accessing or reviewing this document you acknowledge, accept and agree to the matters set out above.
freon
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by freon »

Rocky i think the Falkland Is already have the sheep on there flag
cheers