Tax Office

Local History for Tyne & Wear
cushy butterfield
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Tax Office

Post by cushy butterfield »

Is the tax office still in the Market Square on the corner upstairs? I used to work there in the early 70"s. :)
life is not how many breathes you take its how much life takes your breath away
Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

POST TOPIC

Post by Globalmyths »

Sorry its to far for me to tell from here. You will have to ask someone who lives closer :lol:
Jake
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jake »

Curly or Jimmy,
Is it possible to do something about this fool posting replies like this, when someone is asking a serious question?
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

I think Jake that the post is relevant to the board "Tyneside Old Codger History Room" don't you agree. :roll:

The History Room used to be taken seriously but recently we have been getting jokes posted etc. Call me an old prude if you like but I reckon that this board is being spoilt be those types of posts. We have other boards specifically for jokes etc, I don't understand why this board has to be corrupted by them and other irrelevant topics and threads which have nothing to do with "Tyneside History". Use the boards for the purpose it was intended or don't use it at all :roll:

That is my humble (or not so humble) opinion :wink:

8)
baldy.smith

Re: POST TOPIC

Post by baldy.smith »

Globalmyths wrote:Sorry its to far for me to tell from here. You will have to ask someone who lives closer :lol:
Global! you weren't asked :roll:

8)
cushy butterfield
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

so is it still in the market place. Nobody answered my question. :(
johnc10
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by johnc10 »

Just checking Cushy and it doesn't look like it, I think the nearest one is in Sunderland and I echo the sentiments from the gentlemen above
Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

POST TOPIC

Post by Globalmyths »

Sorry Baldy and Jake. There is no rule that says I am restricted in what I can say or where I say it. Providing it does not fall outside the rules of flaming etc which everyone is expected to abide by.

So until then I will say anything I like and wherever I like.
baldy.smith

Re: POST TOPIC

Post by baldy.smith »

Globalmyths wrote:Sorry Baldy and Jake. There is no rule that says I am restricted in what I can say or where I say it.
But there is common sense, and also respect for other board members.
I consider it disrespectful to other board members to make pointless posts in response to serious questions.

What was your point of saying that you were too far away to know and for the person asking the question to ask someone else.
The person asking the question did not ask "who does not know" if the tax office was still there, so your response was not necessary.

This board is not for argueing on either so any further comments should be made in the "Dark Zone"

Cushy, I don't think the tax office is there anymore.

8)
Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

post topic

Post by Globalmyths »

You are like everyone else entitled to your opinion Baldy. And if you did not like my attempt at a bit of humour, sorry but that is me. So why should I change my habit of trying to put a bit of humour in as many posts that I can. Just to please you.

I will frequently when I see a post that has had no replies will deliberately reply to it in the hope others will come and also make a contribution to the discussion as was the case here. And if you note my reply was over a day after it had been posted with no response from anyone else.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Just as you wish Global, but it is your popularity which is at stake, not mine.

8)
MickV
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by MickV »

johnc10 wrote:Just checking Cushy and it doesn't look like it, I think the nearest one is in Sunderland and I echo the sentiments from the gentlemen above

You're right. Gilbridge House in Sunderland City Centre is the nearest, and designated South Tyneside office.

However, even thats about to change. Plans are afoot to close this down too. Leaving a trip to Newcastle or calling a "contact" centre.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

MickV wrote:However, even thats about to change. Plans are afoot to close this down too. Leaving a trip to Newcastle or calling a "contact" centre.
Which will; no doubt be based in India. :roll:

8)
MickV
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by MickV »

baldy.smith wrote: Which will; no doubt be based in India. :roll:

8)
A natural assumption, but things are much worse than that.
Its in..................SUNDERLAND :shock:

So you can talk to someone in Sunderland on the phone, who'll be able to tell you to go to Newcastle cos thats where your tax office will be :roll: :lol:
johnc10
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by johnc10 »

Ok....... now ya got me confuddled....... where am I payin' me taxes..... am I off to India.... Sunderland..... Newcastle......... Oh I got a headache now :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
cushy butterfield
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Wow things certainly have changed since I worked at the Tax Office.
I rember going out on the town one night with my mate. went for a curry at 2am where my mate proceed to chuck up all over the floor in the restaurant. The next day at work, I had an appointment with a guy who wanted to talk about his tax, and I was mortified to see it was the guy who served us at the curry restaurant :oops: I just carried on as if nothing had happened. 8)
gag
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gag »

Cushy, if you need to contact the tax office it would be best if you asked your employer for the address of the one they use. The office that deals with my tax is in Glasgow although I am employed by a Whitley Bay company. I am assuming that you are employed.

cheers.
gag.
cushy butterfield
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Well Gag considering I live and work in Canada I dont think I need to contact them. I was just wondering if it was still there as I used to be a Tax Officer at the South Shields Branch in the Market Place. Many years ago.
gag
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gag »

No problem Cushy !

cheers
gag