Stottie cake

Leave your remarks about life in South Shields / South Tyneside

Moderator: andysfootball

Jane
Big Gob
Big Gob
Location: Now residing back in my home town of South Shields after some 41 years.

Stottie cake

Post by Jane »

My daughter did a flying visit to Newcastle yesterday (returned today) and I asked her to get me a couple of stotties. What she was sold as stotties was just large bread rolls :( cant find a decent recipe on the net (though i did find a picture of a proper one) anyway, does anyone have a recipe??? I understand they are made from self raising flour? I have a real bee in my bonnet now about having proper stottie someone help me please :D
Jane
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Stottie cake

Post by sless »

2 lbs Strong plain flour
3 level tsp Salt
3 oz Margarine
1.5 oz Fresh Yeast OR
3 level tsp Dried Yeast
1 tsp Sugar
½ pint Tepid water
½ pint Milk
MethodThis makes 3 1/4 lbs of risen dough. The preparation time takes into account the time it takes for the dough to rise.

1. Mix the flour and salt together and rub in the margarine.

2. Mix the yeast and sugar into the water, stirring until the yeast dissolves: If you use dry yeast mix the yeast and sugar into the water and leave until the yeast has dissolved and frothing.

3. Make a little hole in the centre of the flour and add the water stirring with your hands working into a firm dough.

4. Knead well until the dough is smooth and shiny. If the dough is a little soft more flour may be added, kneading (up to 2 oz.) but it is difficult to add water if the dough is too firm so just sprinkle the extra flour if needed.

5. Turn dough out onto a floured board and knead until the dough is no longer sticky and is smooth and shiny.

6. Lightly grease a dish and place dough in it, cover with a teatowel and leave to rise in a warm place until it is twice the size, or you could put it in a large plastic bag.

7. When risen turn onto floured board and knead lightly to let out the air and to make the dough pliable again.

8. Cut the sizes of dough to the size of the flatties you want.

9. Put a hole in the middle of the flattie after rolling it out to the size and depth you want and with a fork make a few stabs, (not too many)

10. Place them on a baking sheet and put in oven near the top. Bake at 425 F or gas 220 C. for 12 to 15 minutes.

It may take a little longer but don't leave in too long. Test with a fork - if they come out clean they're done.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Here's one I found on the web

http://www.mydish.co.uk/recipe/295

8)
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Looks like the same recipe on the link I've posted sless

maybe we should send it to Greggs, their stottie cakes are rubbish these days.

8)
Jane
Big Gob
Big Gob
Location: Now residing back in my home town of South Shields after some 41 years.

Post by Jane »

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Will make some next week end when I havent got to go to the dreaded work. You know this site has never let me down on any requests questions I have asked. :D
Jane
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Jane wrote: You know this site has never let me down on any requests questions I have asked. :D
I hope you notice that it's always the men who come to your aid,
the women on here are hopeless. :wink: :wink:

8)
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

greggs stotties are full of holes
Jane
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by Jane »

Actually thats quite true, wonder why? Im going to have to make a visit up there soon,feel the need to have a Minchellas ice cream too lol.
Jane
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Jane wrote:feel the need to have a Minchellas ice cream too lol.
Sless will have a "99" and mines a "chocolate wafer". :D

8)
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

i want monkeys blood on mine aswell
:lol:
Jane
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by Jane »

I will post when Im there so you can all form an orderly queue :lol:
Jane
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

sless wrote:i want monkeys blood on mine aswell
:lol:
Take your pick, there are several on Curly's board. :lol:

8)
brian c