Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Where are the comments

Post by ralph » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:40 pm

sherri wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:24 am
about the Royals?
Yoo Hoo, anyone home? :lol:
The 20th century started with Queen Victoria still on the throne, the press in The UK was largely owned by the Aristocracy and kept its nose out of private royal family business and their rows and disagreements largely went unreported. Even by the time of the Abdication crisis, though the 'lead-up' was reported in the world's press, newspapers kept quiet until the abdication. You may remember that when covering the present Queen's Coronation on TV was discussed, The Archbishop of Canterbury was against it, as 'people in pubs' might be watching it.

How the second half of the century changed all that! The press and TV became more intrusive and finally, the Internet and social media allowed anyone to make comments on just about any subject and the mystery and magic that had surrounded the royal family largely disintegrated. When some members of the family tried to use the press and Internet to make their own points, it often turned out to be a disaster.

I remember watching the interview Princess Diana gave to Martin Bashir, to put her side of her troubled marriage. As she sat there, tears welling in her eyes and talking about her 'crowded marriage', she gained a lot of sympathy from the public at large, but it set her on course for the final disastrous chapter of her life. I watched that interview again a couple of night ago, and along with several of the correspondents involved with the programme, I thought she looked more of a scheming woman who was manipulating the media and really 'milking it'. It didn't end well for her, and as I watched the Duke and Duchess of Sussex business developing, It felt as though history was repeating itself.

I like Price Harry and I have always admired the way both as a soldier and afterwards, just like his brother William, he has an easy and winning way with ordinary people, which is a great strength, but he seems to have a great deal of his mother in him, and seemed to find rules the royal family operate under to be suffocating and too restrictive - trouble was sure to await him. The Queen, with her enormous experience of how the system works, generally followed the cardinal guideline: Don't complain. don't explain, and most problems will go away eventually. Harry's decision to live by his own rules must have caused The Queen, his loving grandmother, many sleepless nights. Mixing royal duties with the world of commerce and show business celebrity was absolutely fraught and she would know that every move they made would be used by press reporters and photographers to make a fast buck, and the more salacious the better. Just as The Queen effectively called time on the marriage of Charles and Diana, she has decided that the course Harry and Meghan were taking was sure damage the Institution of the Monarchy, which is more important than herself and the family, she decided that subject to a review in a years time, they should stop using their HRH Titles and stop performing official royal duties. That also means living on their own money with a little help from Dad (Charles) which is not from the tax-payer.

I watched another documentary a couple of nights ago in which Meghan's father put his side to the publicity that has surrounded the relationship with his daughter and Harry. He agreed that on occasions he had not been truthful in some of the things he had said and also that as with the documentary, he had received payments for some of the photos and stories he had given to the press. I wish Harry and Meghan a happy future together, but they and the rest of the family will be very well aware, testing times lie ahead and the press will follow them every inch of the way in the knowledge that bad news is the best news.
Last edited by ralph on Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rosie
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Rosie » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:25 am

I do enjoy reading what you have to say about the Royal Family Ralph.

Prince Harry did two tours of Afganistan (I think that was where it was) and many men have come back from this sort of thing very much changed and they find it hard to fit back into society. I'm afraid no matter how hard he tries he isn't going to have the quiet life that maybe he wants.

As for Megans father, well I think he is only interested in the dollars he can get in his own pocket.

I have just finished watching The Crown on Netflix, something I wasn't going to do but in the end I did. It's not a bad account of things that have happened over the years as long as you take a lot of the actual dialogue with a pinch of salt. The most moving part of the show was the Aberfan mine disaster in Whales.
Life doesn't have an undo button

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:16 am

Rosie wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:25 am
I do enjoy reading what you have to say about the Royal Family Ralph.

Prince Harry did two tours of Afganistan (I think that was where it was) and many men have come back from this sort of thing very much changed and they find it hard to fit back into society. I'm afraid no matter how hard he tries he isn't going to have the quiet life that maybe he wants.

As for Megans father, well I think he is only interested in the dollars he can get in his own pocket.

I have just finished watching The Crown on Netflix, something I wasn't going to do but in the end I did. It's not a bad account of things that have happened over the years as long as you take a lot of the actual dialogue with a pinch of salt. The most moving part of the show was the Aberfan mine disaster in Whales.
Thank you Rosie. You are right about taking some of what is reported with a pinch of salt. A story, any story will do and the headlines need to boost the sales. :)

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:40 am

Enjoy reading your posts, Ralph.
I think you're right in that Harry has a lot of his mother in him, including some mental health issues.
Whether taking off to Canada is the answer I have no idea.

By the way, different topic, what has happened to andy? Has he given up the ghost?

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:37 am

sherri wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:40 am
Enjoy reading your posts, Ralph.
I think you're right in that Harry has a lot of his mother in him, including some mental health issues.
Whether taking off to Canada is the answer I have no idea.

By the way, different topic, what has happened to andy? Has he given up the ghost?
Sherri, forgive me if I make any mistakes, I had a cataract operation yesterday and my left eye isn't back to normal yet. Re Andy, his is a very difficult position, he chose to befriend a man whose wealth and lifestyle seemed to make him irresistible to many people and then as another famous man is now finding, when the edifice comes crashing down, everyone abandons you. Jeffrey Epstein paid with his life and now there is a feeding frenzy to get a share of his financial carcase. If there is one thing that the public and the media love, it is a s*x scandal. It gives many people a chance to cluck with indignation and tear down the great from their pedestals.

Great wealth and exotic lifestyles, throughout history, have attracted people like moths to a candle and in the end, wings get burned. Prince Andrew has stated that whenever he stayed with Epstein, he never saw anything untoward happening. There is no coming back from that statement. People with or without evidence will either accept what he says or as is more usual in such cases choose to believe what others have said. We have seen a photograph in which the prince is portrayed with his arm around the waist of a broadly smiling young lady who now says she was forced into having s*x with him. He denies that. She looks to the observer as though on this occasion at least, she is very pleased to be in his company, though I believe that the prince may not accept the photo as entirely genuine.

As Andrew has publicly stated that he saw nothing untoward, you can be sure that even if he gave an interview to American police or lawyers, he will not change his position and so these accusations will never see the inside of a courtroom other than to gild the cases of people seeking damages from Einstein's Estate. Where does that leave Andrew? Exactly where he is now I would think, leading a very low profile existence, being seen very occasionally alongside members of his family. The Court of public opinion usually convicts on the salaciousness of the accusations rather than on the weight of evidence and there is no Court of Appeal to reverse their decision.

andysfootball

Post by andysfootball » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:43 pm

andysfootball comment

" I know nothing"
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:33 pm

andysfootball wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:43 pm
andysfootball comment

" I know nothing"
Andy, you missed off : Mr Fawlty. :lol:

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:27 am

I agree with you Ralph about Prince Andrew. I think he's done his dash, it's unrecoverable (for the next few years) even if he's innocent, so he'll have to take a very low profile.

:lol: Glad to see the board's andy hasn't carked it.

PS Hope you're recovering well after the cataract op, Ralph.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:56 am

sherri wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:27 am
I agree with you Ralph about Prince Andrew. I think he's done his dash, it's unrecoverable (for the next few years) even if he's innocent, so he'll have to take a very low profile.

:lol: Glad to see the board's andy hasn't carked it.

PS Hope you're recovering well after the cataract op, Ralph.
Re Prince Andrew: You will see that this week, those who control public buildings have been told they don't have have to fly the Union Flag on his birthday and he has asked that the traditional promotion to Admiral on his 60th birthday (at his own request), has been deferred until he returns to public life. The humiliations keep piling up...

Re the cataract, thank you and yes it is beginning to recover, sight is improving and hopefully in another couple of weeks it will all be just a memory. :D

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:41 pm

Yes, all very humiliating for him if he is innocent.
I don't actually suspect him of being a p********e as some tabloids have suggested but I do think he may have had some illicit s*x with that woman he was pictured with. May not even have known her exact age. From what I have read, the Beatles did pretty much the same thing with some of their followers. I guess they all expected that none of it would see the light of day & it was just one of the perks of being someone important. In fact I suspect Prince Charles had a few affairs too but probably with girls over 18.
But in any case, now wasn't the time to accept a promotion to Admiral, he got that part right.

Glad your sight is improving.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:46 pm

sherri wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:41 pm
Yes, all very humiliating for him if he is innocent.
I don't actually suspect him of being a p********e as some tabloids have suggested but I do think he may have had some illicit s*x with that woman he was pictured with. May not even have known her exact age. From what I have read, the Beatles did pretty much the same thing with some of their followers. I guess they all expected that none of it would see the light of day & it was just one of the perks of being someone important. In fact I suspect Prince Charles had a few affairs too but probably with girls over 18.
But in any case, now wasn't the time to accept a promotion to Admiral, he got that part right.

Glad your sight is improving.
Thanks Sherri.

Return to “The Corner Shop”