Tynesiders with Irish Roots

Local History for Tyne & Wear
rainbow
Head Doer
Head Doer

Tynesiders with Irish Roots

Post by rainbow »

:) I have just posted a thread under 'Entertainment' Places to Go, talking about my holiday in Cobh Ireland last year, as a newbie on this site I hope you enjoy my posting..I gave details also of a few sites you may enjoy, if you like me have Irish roots.......cheers, 8) Rainbow
mr-angry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by mr-angry »

:lol: Rainbow you would be better off looking at Jarrow, they have a lot of Irish roots.
South Shields, I was born here, and I'll d*e here
rainbow
Head Doer
Head Doer

Tyneside Irish roots

Post by rainbow »

:) Hi Mr Angry... :) We have been to lots of Irish events throughout South Tyneside over the years, including Jarrow the people and music are always great .
Only one problem if you want a true glass of the Irish Amber Necta, you can only get the best in Ireland. :D Rainbow
mr-angry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by mr-angry »

Rainbow I have worked in both North and South Ireland.
The beer I drank was " miller genuine draught " on draught.
You can only get it in bottles here, it was superb :wink:
South Shields, I was born here, and I'll d*e here
rainbow
Head Doer
Head Doer

post subject

Post by rainbow »

:) Message for Mr Angry 8) You said you had worked in Ireland..did you get a chance to visit any touristy places at all ...or was it all work and no time off?........... :) Rainbow
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Rainbow, I work at all the major airports and army bases in the North of Ireland. Am away midnight tonight for 5am ferry to Belfast to do a repair at Aldergrove Airport and hopefully back on 11.50am one so should make the Quiz in Crown and Anchor Sat. night. Will be over for a week in August staying at Dungannon to do inspections at helicopter bases at Omagh, Newry,Enniskillin, Bessinbrook and Limavady. Send me a private email if you ever fancy a trip across,am over at least once a month.
rainbow
Head Doer
Head Doer

Post subject

Post by rainbow »

Hi Pete (Jarrow) sounds like you travel alot with your work..

.We are back over in Cobh Co-Cork at the end of July..and I am truly counting the days.
Looking forward to taking more photos and meeting up with friends in Cobh....with any luck this heatwave may last a few more weeks......... What do you think? cheers Rainbow
robpapE2
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by robpapE2 »

dont forget the Doonan family of musicians and entertainment at the Catholic Club in Westoe Road South Shields
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

i go to ireland at least 3 times ayear
i love the place
the fishing is great and the drinking isnt bad either
lots of guinness
then b,m,w's
mmmmm
i will be over in may for my 1st trip
this is the house i stop in
bushmills

portbraddon where i go fishing
the carrick-a-rede rope bridge
service with a smile

sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

paying hommage to the main man

sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

my 1st pint of guinness in september

feeding the birds

some nice irish pollack

marrasis

Post by marrasis »

mr-angry wrote::lol: Rainbow you would be better off looking at Jarrow, they have a lot of Irish roots.
your right mr-a, my mate lives in perth ave and she has reletives in Hoath.
para-wings
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by para-wings »

Great pics, Sless. Especially the one of the pint of Guinness :D I was never really a Guiness drinker until I went to Dublin with someone who was - and I got hooked! It's all I drink now. Apart from 'working' in Belfast, I've only been to Dublin and am looking at visiting Cork next.
rainbow
Head Doer
Head Doer

Re: Ireland Holidays

Post by rainbow »

para-wings wrote:Great pics, Sless. Especially the one of the pint of Guinness :D I was never really a Guiness drinker until I went to Dublin with someone who was - and I got hooked! It's all I drink now. Apart from 'working' in Belfast, I've only been to Dublin and am looking at visiting Cork next.

I was just reading through some old threads and came across this post...And cant help wondering if para-wings ever did get to Cork?. Ireland has some brilliant places to visit...Kinsale, Clonakilty, Blarney, Cobh, Killarney, Tralee...If your ever over in Ireland take one of the City Bus Tours, around the area...it gives you the chance to find out the historic buildings and if your handy with your camera....get on the open top bus, for some great photos.
Last year we went on the Gap of Dunloe Tour...it was brilliant and the views of the Mountains and Lakes...breathtaking...on one part of the tour we were in a jaunting cart and wound our way through the mountain paths, I will sort some pics out and post in my album on site....If you found any special places while on holiday in Ireland, please do pass on the info...
What with ongoing health problems, I may not get over this year. aaahh!! ..cheers Rainbow :)
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Tynesiders with Irish Roots

Post by sless »

im going to courtmacsherry in september fishing for a week
looking forward to it
i love ireland
the scenery is second to none
i love the craic in the bars on the night aswell
the fishing is a lot better over there as it is over here
eddieg
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by eddieg »

para-wings
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Ireland Holidays

Post by para-wings »

rainbow wrote:
para-wings wrote:Great pics, Sless. Especially the one of the pint of Guinness :D I was never really a Guiness drinker until I went to Dublin with someone who was - and I got hooked! It's all I drink now. Apart from 'working' in Belfast, I've only been to Dublin and am looking at visiting Cork next.

I was just reading through some old threads and came across this post...And cant help wondering if para-wings ever did get to Cork?. Ireland has some brilliant places to visit...Kinsale, Clonakilty, Blarney, Cobh, Killarney, Tralee...If your ever over in Ireland take one of the City Bus Tours, around the area...it gives you the chance to find out the historic buildings and if your handy with your camera....get on the open top bus, for some great photos.
Last year we went on the Gap of Dunloe Tour...it was brilliant and the views of the Mountains and Lakes...breathtaking...on one part of the tour we were in a jaunting cart and wound our way through the mountain paths, I will sort some pics out and post in my album on site....If you found any special places while on holiday in Ireland, please do pass on the info...
What with ongoing health problems, I may not get over this year. aaahh!! ..cheers Rainbow :)
Gotta say, it's been some time since I was last on here! To answer your question Rainbow - no, I never did get to Cork. We gave in to the charm of Dublin again....and again...and again.....well, the pubs anyway, lol.
comeonthen
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by comeonthen »

Hello para-wings, I like Ireland also and would love to hear what you say about it, are you allowed to talk to me?
comeonthen