Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: brexit

Post by ralph » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:22 am

Rosie wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:30 pm
ralph wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:05 pm
Rosie, the 73 will be the ones representing us at the Parliament in Brussels and Strasbourg, the rest of them will be MEP's for the other countries in the EU. Of our 73, the UKIP ones know that they will be out of a job if they succeed in their main policy i.e. leaving the EU, the rest of the 73 will be dreading us leaving as they will not only be out of a job, but any hopes of further advancement will have come to a halt.

Opinion polls at the moment suggest that our major Parties are in for a shock at both the Local Elections that will take place in May and of course in EU Parliamentary Elections if we are still members of the EU when they take place.
I worry myself at times, obviously only 72 represent Britian but my little brain didn't comprehend that.

I can understand your politicians will be in for a shock come election time. I don't think politicians have ever given the public credit for being able to think for themselves.
Rosie, I think the way our Party system operates, those in safe seats never felt vulnerable because we tend to be tribal in the way we vote. Most people vote the way their parents did come hell or high water, but this fiasco has galvanised opinions in a way our politicians are not used to and may well leave them shell-shocked next time they run for office. I do hope so.

allan
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by allan » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:09 pm

I watched a video of Germany having their say in the matter and they are truly fed up with the full situation that is going on in Britain, yes the government want us to stay and they will do anything they can to make it this way, too many brown envelopes going about. In the bits I could understand if we do stay in Europe Parliament will desolve as everything in Britain will be ruled by Europe and that means everything: To all the younger members of our country, this means Conscription for you, I think its at 2 years but could be 3...just something for you youngsters to ponder over, There will be no more protests as what Europe says, goes. Oh and we Have to take in all comers and pay them whatever, We won't have any say in this and the £350mil' we pay each week will just increase, There will be only one currency and we will have to use it no calms about that also. Personally I don't want this I am British and want it to stay Britain and don't need any other country telling us what we have to do, I am also totally fed up with immigration and Muslims coming here and making demands and Europe saying they have rights, well I say in my Country they have no rights and if they so much as stick one foot out of place they are out, This is just a little two pennith worth, but before we give into any of this government crap they dishing out We the People should know where we stand or we going down the Swanny...

Rosie
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Rosie » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:14 am

ralph wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:22 am
Rosie, I think the way our Party system operates, those in safe seats never felt vulnerable because we tend to be tribal in the way we vote. Most people vote the way their parents did come hell or high water, but this fiasco has galvanised opinions in a way our politicians are not used to and may well leave them shell-shocked next time they run for office. I do hope so.
I hope so too Ralph. I must admit I have always voted the way my dad told me I had to and because of this I never influenced my own kids, I let them make their own minds up. They would ask how did you vote mum and never would I tell them. One votes labour and one votes conservative, that's their right but these days I tell them what I think.
allan wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:09 pm
I watched a video of Germany having their say in the matter and they are truly fed up with the full situation that is going on in Britain, yes the government want us to stay and they will do anything they can to make it this way, too many brown envelopes going about. In the bits I could understand if we do stay in Europe Parliament will desolve as everything in Britain will be ruled by Europe and that means everything: To all the younger members of our country, this means Conscription for you, I think its at 2 years but could be 3...just something for you youngsters to ponder over, There will be no more protests as what Europe says, goes. Oh and we Have to take in all comers and pay them whatever, We won't have any say in this and the £350mil' we pay each week will just increase, There will be only one currency and we will have to use it no calms about that also. Personally I don't want this I am British and want it to stay Britain and don't need any other country telling us what we have to do, I am also totally fed up with immigration and Muslims coming here and making demands and Europe saying they have rights, well I say in my Country they have no rights and if they so much as stick one foot out of place they are out, This is just a little two pennith worth, but before we give into any of this government crap they dishing out We the People should know where we stand or we going down the Swanny...
Allan, I get the impression you want out :D (that was said tongue in cheek)
Life doesn't have an undo button

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:59 pm

If our politicians are beginning to feel a little nervous about the next elections, The Presidential Election in Ukraine, where a comedian and newcomer to politics has just won by taking 70% of the vote, is the stuff of nightmares. :lol: :lol: :lol:

allan
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by allan » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:40 pm

We have had Comedians running Britain for years.......

jeff
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jeff » Sun May 26, 2019 5:32 pm

Spent last week in Devon and Cornwall.

The coast around Hartland Quay is geologically quite spectacular. I call this little patch The Brexit Rocks. All going in different directions but stuck where they are, unable to make a move!
There's nothing wrong with being mediocre........as long as you're good at it!

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Mon May 27, 2019 7:09 am

Looks like a lovely spot, Jeff.
Even the rocks. They are much more attractive than most of your politicians. :lol:

As for Brexit, I don't believe your politicians really want to exit. It might be complicated but it's not that hard, it could be accomplished if they had the will and put their minds to it.

I wouldn't be surprised if half of them fancy making you go through more referendums until you vote the way they think you should.

andysfootball

Post by andysfootball » Tue May 28, 2019 12:20 pm

doesn't matter what the politicians want

the people have voted

they won't have to vote again

apart from the likes of london and other well heeled places the whole country wants out
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Tue May 28, 2019 10:00 pm

Well, you would hope they won't have to vote again, Andy. It would make a mockery of the process.
I daresay the politicians know that, but I don't think all of them sound convinced it wasn't a mistake, a few stray votes and not really what the people could possibly have wanted.
If they had been properly on board with the process right from the start, they would have made more headway.
I don't believe their hearts were in it at the beginning but maybe now they are coming to terms and will get moving.

It reminds me a bit of something I read online, a report about one of the women who appears on the Project, who commented after our recent election results that it showed Australians were lazy and stupid and didn't care about their country. I took exception to that little temper tantrum she had too, just because others didn't agree with what she personally wanted and thought she would get.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Thu May 30, 2019 11:17 am

It has all become stupefyingly boring, which is probably why the Liberal democrats are yet again experiencing one of their oft repeated brief moments in the sun and no doubt the Green Party will also eventually drop back to being supported only by well meaning fringe groups. Who know what would happen if the huge number of non-voters turned out at the polls or what that would tell us even if they did? One young couple when asked if they had voted: She just looked uncomprehending while he said:"Is it about that Europe thing?" I just despair. :(

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Fri May 31, 2019 8:04 pm

I see Sir Elton John is now preaching from the stage, telling people he is ashamed of the UK and implying the people who voted to leave are stupid.

What is it with the show biz crowd that they think because they get paid big bucks to sing or dance or act, that that makes them some sort of political expert, well above the average person?

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:49 am

sherri wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:04 pm
I see Sir Elton John is now preaching from the stage, telling people he is ashamed of the UK and implying the people who voted to leave are stupid.

What is it with the show biz crowd that they think because they get paid big bucks to sing or dance or act, that that makes them some sort of political expert, well above the average person?
Sherri, Elton in undoubtedly a talented musician and has made a lot of money in his time, but I shouldn't think his opinion on Brexit carries any more weight than the rest of ours does. As they say: opinions? Every one has got one, it's just that reporters
have to write about something - or starve. :lol:

Rosie
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Rosie » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:51 pm

From what I read neither the media nor the present government want out of the EU, they don't care what the people voted for. They both give little credit to the people to be able to think for themselves and both have spent the last three, or is it four, years pushing their own agenda. The people are not stupid they voted out and the government should have accomplished this by now.

If Teresa May is replaced by another "remainer" then there will just be more of the same.
Life doesn't have an undo button

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 pm

Boris has put his hand up .... and he's definitely a "leave" man.

What annoys me watching this saga is the morons who won't accept the umpires decision and the Politicians like Theresa May who keep trying to sell the people a deal(a pup) that is virtually the same as what the situation has always been ....

and came back with the same rubbish 3 times and it was defeated resoundingly each time.

What doesn't/didn't she get the first time it was defeated?

Good riddance to her and I hope you get someone who will honour the peoples choice .... to leave.

Why do so many Brits think they can't survive/manage without being dictated to by countries that they subsidise?

They did for decades prior to getting mixed up this dictatorial EU fiasco.
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:33 am

What really irritates me, is the way reporters keep going onto the streets and picking on bloody idiots to ask their opinions about what is happening. So many, particularly the young, who we are told are all important because 'it is their future we are dealing with' say things like: "I don't really know... we have not been told enough about it." We have heard nothing else for years. I suppose they have never put their bloody phones down long enough to watch or listen.

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:35 pm

about sums it up Ralph.
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

danet

Post by danet » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:35 pm

We just came back from a cruise from Singapore to South East Asia, thinking there may be all Chinese or Singaporean guests on board, to our surprise, 80 % English from England! We always opted for a shared dining table so we didn’t have to wait long for a seating, plus it’s sociable and make new friends, different people every time, and asking which part of England they are from etc. how many cruises they been in and where, and asked about Brexit and all would roll their eyes and wished to have opted out.
Well we thought that was interesting to discover from many people we met on board. I know it’s not a majority, but all different folk around 50 to 62 age group.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:45 pm

danet wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:35 pm
We just came back from a cruise from Singapore to South East Asia, thinking there may be all Chinese or Singaporean guests on board, to our surprise, 80 % English from England! We always opted for a shared dining table so we didn’t have to wait long for a seating, plus it’s sociable and make new friends, different people every time, and asking which part of England they are from etc. how many cruises they been in and where, and asked about Brexit and all would roll their eyes and wished to have opted out.
Well we thought that was interesting to discover from many people we met on board. I know it’s not a majority, but all different folk around 50 to 62 age group.
Danet, whatever our leaders, or would be leaders say, this is a long way from being over. Whoever is elected to become our next Prime Minister, the arithmetic in Parliament has not got any better - indeed it is worse. The State of the two main Parties is in absolute chaos and I'm sure that many MP's who face losing the seats if we have an election, will totally be against having one, but it is a very real possibility that it could happen and soon. Th awful thing is: having one may produce a Parliament in which no Party on its own could command a majority, and none really want to go in coalition with anyone else!

jeff
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jeff » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:15 pm

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre........as long as you're good at it!

andysfootball

Post by andysfootball » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:04 pm

STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

Return to “The Corner Shop”