The Royal wedding

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4058
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: The Royal wedding

Post by ralph » Wed May 16, 2018 3:29 pm

danet wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 3:14 pm
I have been watching a few documentaries about Harry and Meghan with interest. And I must say, Harry has got ballz, to stand up for his fiancé, when the paparazzi were being quite nasty which brought Meghan to tears....and it worked, Harry told them to stop etc, I don't recall ever knowing or hearing of any other royal male doing that...I could just imagine, Harry thinking of how the paparazzi destroyed his mother, and then it was happening all over again.....he rose to the occasion, and I do like him for that.

They say, that the royals have to subdue their personalities, and not be outspoken, particularly politically etc.
If it is the case of not being able to be bold to speak, then their actions will speak...when they keep reaching out to help others, as Diana did.

I do feel sorry to Meghan, her dad deciding not to walk his daughter down the aisle only a few days before the wedding ......amidst the pleads, he must feel like a fish out of a bowl. Doesn't want to embarrass the Royal Family or something. Well how about not embarrassing the daughter?
It seems her mother may walk her down the aisle?
Lots of different changes with traditions going on in the royal circle, times are changing.
I wish them both a lovely life together, and I think they look very much in love and happy.
Lots of different changes with traditions going on in the royal circle, times are changing.

Danet, I think the first crack in the dam wall occurred when Princess Margaret was allowed to divorce. To survive and stay relevant, The Monarchy has to adapt to changes in society and though Harry is now too far down the line of succession to ever become King, what he does and who he marries is sending very clear signals that the royal family in many respects is just like that of the rest of us

I hope it all works out and that they have a long and happy marriage, but as Judge Judy often says on TV: "52% od marriages in The US are doomed to fail." We have come to accept that break-ups are just a part of life for us all now

User avatar
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 17035
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:50 pm
Location: Saudi Shields

Re: The Royal wedding

Post by Pilot » Wed May 16, 2018 6:59 pm

There is a reason i wont get to watch Ralph but i wont go into that until later, I actually like the two princess and wish them well, its the concept of royalty i have issues with not personalities.
I voted leave

Image

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4058
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: The Royal wedding

Post by ralph » Wed May 16, 2018 10:55 pm

Pilot wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 6:59 pm
There is a reason i wont get to watch Ralph but i wont go into that until later, I actually like the two princess and wish them well, its the concept of royalty i have issues with not personalities.
You have to admit that it is changing Pilot, we have a future Queen who has a Durham coal miner in her family ancestors and a soon to be Princess descended in part from black slaves - and all this has happened in just a few years.

User avatar
gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 11932
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:20 am
Location: Queensland

Re: The Royal wedding

Post by gnads » Wed May 16, 2018 11:22 pm

andysfootball wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:48 am
gnads

you stick with mary poppins

we'll stick with royalty
:lol: Yeah well I have reservations as to the claim the locals have put on P L Travers as a tourist point.

Things are hard here in the employment fields ... so hoovering tourists of whatever money they can is coming to the fore.
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

User avatar
gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 11932
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:20 am
Location: Queensland

Re: The Royal wedding

Post by gnads » Wed May 16, 2018 11:26 pm

whip wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:59 am
Thank heaven Ars* and twine for this.

Whip has now got better thing's to do this Saturday for sure.

No lobster & wine for me watching nampy pampy gits on TV prancing about like demented old Marys.

Rugby outing in Rochdale is our gender.

Ralph can watch the fairies prancing about knowing whip will not be whinging his lot over the circus on Saturday.

:D

You mean "agenda"........... then again with all the rainbow peoples LGBITQ alphabet genders I suppose Rugby could be called one. I'd say it would lean very close to a female type. :lol: :P
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

User avatar
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 25207
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:14 am
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: The Royal wedding

Post by sherri » Wed May 16, 2018 11:49 pm

You don't have to watch it, but I defy anyone to manage to miss the highlights on the news. :D

User avatar
gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 11932
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:20 am
Location: Queensland

Re: The Royal wedding

Post by gnads » Thu May 17, 2018 9:14 am

TV blackout Saturday then ey?
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:23 pm
Location: 3rd Rock From The Sun

Re: The Royal wedding

Post by whip » Thu May 17, 2018 3:08 pm

When I joined up I also wore a uniform.

I operated a Chieftain tank to impress '' if you like ''

I joined up to defend England not to prance about looking like a toy soldier.

No fancy dress prancing about wooing the lass's on my watch.

Royalty pfft.
GB FIRST

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4058
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: The Royal wedding

Post by ralph » Thu May 17, 2018 5:27 pm

whip wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 3:08 pm
When I joined up I also wore a uniform.

I operated a Chieftain tank to impress '' if you like ''

I joined up to defend England not to prance about looking like a toy soldier.

No fancy dress prancing about wooing the lass's on my watch.

Royalty pfft.
No Offence intended Whip. but as I read you post, my mind slipped back to when as a kid I saw the film 'Snow White' and the dwarf 'Grumpy' has taken exception to the adoration being heaped by the other six, on the sleeping Snow White. :lol:

User avatar
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 17035
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:50 pm
Location: Saudi Shields

Re: The Royal wedding

Post by Pilot » Thu May 17, 2018 6:52 pm

I didnt realise Megan was brought up a Catholic then became a Jewess to marry her first husband and has now been baptised into the Church of England to marry Harry. I wonder if she will stick at that or maybe marry a Buddhist next time !
I voted leave

Image

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4058
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: The Royal wedding

Post by ralph » Thu May 17, 2018 10:23 pm

Pilot wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 6:52 pm
I didnt realise Megan was brought up a Catholic then became a Jewess to marry her first husband and has now been baptised into the Church of England to marry Harry. I wonder if she will stick at that or maybe marry a Buddhist next time !
Perhaps she is a seeker after truth or love and as part of her search has decided to experience travelling on the different paths. Although Meghan's first husband was Jewish and they had a 'Jewish' wedding. apparently she did not convert to the religion - as President Trump's daughter did. As for having been brought up a Roman Catholic, with an Irish father, she would have had no say in that.

Sometimes of course people are happy to change religions just to gain some advantage. Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg-Goethe (Queen Victoria's Uncle), a Protestant, when offered the Throne of Belgium, was told that if he accepted, he would have to become a Roman Catholic. He replied: "A throne is worth a Mass." and so became King Leopold I. :wink:

User avatar
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 25207
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:14 am
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: The Royal wedding

Post by sherri » Thu May 17, 2018 11:31 pm

It's not easy to convert to Judaism even if you want to. My cousin became a liberal jew but it took years of study before she was considered for the orthodox jews and even now after almost 30 years, she has to make sure she follows things more than some who are born in the religion.

I'd say Meghan has no strong religion of her own-she doesn't care- so she's happy to go with the flow of whatever needs to be done.

She would be agreeing with Prince Leopold's sentiments-a throne (or being close to it) is worth a C of E service here and there.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4058
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: The Royal wedding

Post by ralph » Thu May 17, 2018 11:53 pm

sherri wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:31 pm
It's not easy to convert to Judaism even if you want to. My cousin became a liberal jew but it took years of study before she was considered for the orthodox jews and even now after almost 30 years, she has to make sure she follows things more than some who are born in the religion.

I'd say Meghan has no strong religion of her own-she doesn't care- so she's happy to go with the flow of whatever needs to be done.

She would be agreeing with Prince Leopold's sentiments-a throne (or being close to it) is worth a C of E service here and there.
I'm sure you are right Sherri about converting to Judaism - they don't really like converts or accept them readily. The exception seems to have been when Trump's daughter married Jared Kushner. They went to Israel and all objections were pushed under the carpet and the edges nailed down. The perceived advantages to Israel, (perhaps the moving of the US Embassy to Jerusalem was one :D ) were just too good to let a 'conversion' cause difficulties. :roll:

User avatar
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 25207
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:14 am
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: The Royal wedding

Post by sherri » Fri May 18, 2018 12:30 am

I'm sure you're right, Ralph. Always exceptions to every rule :wink:

One thing I have noticed with the media is how over the top some of their reporting is. Ridiculous.

I just noticed an article online about how Catherine's sister had been 'snubbed' by the royals as she wasn't invited to the wedding. Likewise, they say Fergie is being 'snubbed' by only being invited to the ceremony, not the private reception.

If you think about this, how often would the siblings of a bride or groom"s sister in law be invited to any wedding if you didn't know them well?
They never were at any of my 3 children's weddings.

And Fergie has been divorced about 15 years. Divorce changes things. I'm sure she wouldn't expect an invite to the inner circle except when it is her own children being married.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4058
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: The Royal wedding

Post by ralph » Fri May 18, 2018 5:17 am

sherri wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:30 am
I'm sure you're right, Ralph. Always exceptions to every rule :wink:

One thing I have noticed with the media is how over the top some of their reporting is. Ridiculous.

I just noticed an article online about how Catherine's sister had been 'snubbed' by the royals as she wasn't invited to the wedding. Likewise, they say Fergie is being 'snubbed' by only being invited to the ceremony, not the private reception.

If you think about this, how often would the siblings of a bride or groom"s sister in law be invited to any wedding if you didn't know them well?
They never were at any of my 3 children's weddings.

And Fergie has been divorced about 15 years. Divorce changes things. I'm sure she wouldn't expect an invite to the inner circle except when it is her own children being married.
Absolutely right Sherri, plus as in any extended family, there are bound to be some relationships that are less cordial than others and for the greater harmony of all, some people are better kept apart. Fergie is a case in point: she blotted her copy-book very badly a long time ago, and while Prince Andrew seemed to get over it very quickly, other members of the family didn't. For the sake of her children, she is usually invited to main events, but not the peripheral activities, and she usually is accomodated away from the main house. It gives journalists something to report when business is slack.

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:23 pm
Location: 3rd Rock From The Sun

Re: The Royal wedding

Post by whip » Fri May 18, 2018 1:47 pm

Never mind those fairies the Royals prancing about like old Marys.

Whips day.

6.30 arise to consume a fortifying breakfast.


8 am rugger pitch to do some training till around about 11am..

Then down to club for a shower beer and lunch. No Lobster #-o

Around about 3pm go to Warrington to fuel up truck for trip on Monday to Exeter.

No frilly dressers, no poncing about for whip Saturday, by far better to have my agenda '' Spelt right this time gnads :roll: .

I can leave looking at the circus and their frilly thing's to ralph :lol:
GB FIRST

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4058
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: The Royal wedding

Post by ralph » Fri May 18, 2018 2:31 pm

whip wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:47 pm
Never mind those fairies the Royals prancing about like old Marys.

Whips day.

6.30 arise to consume a fortifying breakfast.


8 am rugger pitch to do some training till around about 11am..

Then down to club for a shower beer and lunch. No Lobster #-o

Around about 3pm go to Warrington to fuel up truck for trip on Monday to Exeter.

No frilly dressers, no poncing about for whip Saturday, by far better to have my agenda '' Spelt right this time gnads :roll: .

I can leave looking at the circus and their frilly thing's to ralph :lol:
You can avoid 'the circus' on Saturday Whip, but unfortunately, as far as the media (all branches) are concerned, this is a circus that has arrived in town and it will just not be allowed to leave. Under the guise of just 'loving the couple to bits', they will have a hidden agenda and that is to milk this unusal relationship until it sqeals with pain.

Meghan's family will be under the microscope 24/7 to report on any 'disgraceful' behaviour they can uncover - something criminal would be the icing on their cake. Then there will be the intense scrutiny of Meghan herself: 'Is she putting on a little weight'; is she cancelling any engagements... feeling a little morning sickness perhaps...? If at some point there is a 'happy' event and they have a baby, the colour charts will be out: Does it have ginger hair and if so is that because of Harry, or its Irish granddad's celtic forebears. Is it light skinned or does it take after Meghan's mums side of the family? The challenges they will encounter cannot be smoothed away by palace P R departments, police protection or made easier to bear by wealth. Un-named friends and staff will questioned and quoted and if they cannot get exactly what they are after, they will spin what they have until it fits the bill. Remember the phone tapping and secret recording of Diana's phone calls?

I would love to think I'm just being cynical and a life of sweetness and light lay ahead for Harry and Megan, at its best it will be like 'the Curate's egg', good in parts. At its worst? I'd rather not think about that.

User avatar
andysfootball
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 12011
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:29 pm
Location: HMS Bounty
Contact:

Re: The Royal wedding

Post by andysfootball » Fri May 18, 2018 3:31 pm

you would think whip

with your time in the services

and your day trip to London

you would be more patriotic?
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

User avatar
andysfootball
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 12011
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:29 pm
Location: HMS Bounty
Contact:

Re: The Royal wedding

Post by andysfootball » Fri May 18, 2018 3:33 pm

you were obviously a private so every time that you saluted an officer

you were saluting the queen
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:23 pm
Location: 3rd Rock From The Sun

Re: The Royal wedding

Post by whip » Fri May 18, 2018 4:42 pm

andysfootball wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:33 pm
you were obviously a private so every time that you saluted an officer

you were saluting the queen

That is true.

i lost respect for the royals way after my demob.

They are a family i have no time for.

I am patriotic to the UK.

Not so to the firm.
GB FIRST

Post Reply

Return to “The Corner Shop”