Royal Engagement

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

Aud
Big Gob
Big Gob

Re: Royal Engagement

Post by Aud » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:35 am

He should have abdicated,he just wanted his bread butterd on both sides,he is desprate to be king,i think if the royals want to survive he should stand down let William be King,he is allowed to do that surely ? .I think the royal family would not have had much support off the people for mych longer,it was Diana who gave them a much needed make over..I do respect our Queen she has done the job she was born to do shame her kids let her down,im sure she greatful to have such grounded stable grandsons.
it will be a sad day when she passes,she has been a good Queen.
Life is a Beautiful Lie...Death is the Painful Truth! ...

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:00 pm

You won't have Charles for that long, not compared to the Queen's time on the throne, anyway.

It's not like they have that much power these days, they open a few events, represent their country at funerals, that sort of thing.

Kings are always a bit boring to look at compared to the women so the emphasis will still be on photos of the women & their outfits, you'll see.

I wouldn't worry about it because you've got about zilch chance of him abdicating.

William probably doesn't even want to be king yet, he's probably comfortable with the idea of a slightly boring Charles at the helm.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:26 am

Aud wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:35 am
He should have abdicated,he just wanted his bread butterd on both sides,he is desprate to be king,i think if the royals want to survive he should stand down let William be King,he is allowed to do that surely ? .I think the royal family would not have had much support off the people for mych longer,it was Diana who gave them a much needed make over..I do respect our Queen she has done the job she was born to do shame her kids let her down,im sure she greatful to have such grounded stable grandsons.
it will be a sad day when she passes,she has been a good Queen.
The Monarchy has proved remarkably resilient and always adjusts to the changes in Society e.g. the family has a Maori, the descendent of a black slave and the descendent of a Durham miner as members. If anyone 50 years ago had suggested that such things could happen, no one would have believed it. Survival has been their business for centuries and they are remarkably good at it. They cope with the unplanned and unexpected and are able to smooth seamlessly over the cracks. They know where every one of them came from for more than a thousand years, while for most of us, until 'Ancestry' set up in business, might have found difficulty in finding a photo of our great grandparents. Our Monarchy has survived revolution, execution, and murder while most of their people if asked, probably couldn't name the last five Monarchs in the correct order. Don't write them off any time soon, survival is their business and they are very good at it :D

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:15 am

I think Aud's right in that Diana sparked a lot more media interest in the royals, but I think most of that was about glamour.
Not a lot has changed. These are different times, I suppose, where photos flash around the globe and I think the focus these days seems to be on the clothes the women wear and their babies.

I don't think any of that will change much if/when Charles is king. I think he was thought a bit eccentric when he was younger but now, with his interests, he's probably more trendy. :D

As for his line, he may be able to trace his official line back about a 1000 years but I am not convinced it is his genetic line. Researchers found a glitch a while back. Forget who it was with, but they tested some dna from a long gone royal, and his rare whatever it was has not been passed onto any present day royals, which according to the experts suggests they are not related to that king.

I don't know enough about what exact part of the DNA they were testing to say. I know some parts (mitochondrial DNA from the mother) pass on unchanged. You can go back thousands of years from woman to woman (if a woman had daughters, that is).
But I also know that once you go back a few generations, you can be definitely/proven related, yet it can be hit and miss if you have matching dna with descendants. The further away they get, the less you inherit from any particular great great etc

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:05 am

sherri wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:15 am
I think Aud's right in that Diana sparked a lot more media interest in the royals, but I think most of that was about glamour.
Not a lot has changed. These are different times, I suppose, where photos flash around the globe and I think the focus these days seems to be on the clothes the women wear and their babies.

I don't think any of that will change much if/when Charles is king. I think he was thought a bit eccentric when he was younger but now, with his interests, he's probably more trendy. :D

As for his line, he may be able to trace his official line back about a 1000 years but I am not convinced it is his genetic line. Researchers found a glitch a while back. Forget who it was with, but they tested some dna from a long gone royal, and his rare whatever it was has not been passed onto any present day royals, which according to the experts suggests they are not related to that king.

I don't know enough about what exact part of the DNA they were testing to say. I know some parts (mitochondrial DNA from the mother) pass on unchanged. You can go back thousands of years from woman to woman (if a woman had daughters, that is).
But I also know that once you go back a few generations, you can be definitely/proven related, yet it can be hit and miss if you have matching dna with descendants. The further away they get, the less you inherit from any particular great great etc
Sherri, I suspect the DNA glitch you are talking about was found when trying to check the DNA of the bones found in a car park: those of Richard III. We remember the old saying: A man can be sure who his mother is, but not his father, which is why of course Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard, Queen's of Henry VIII were beheaded, However, royals went to great lengths to make sure that the genetic line went unbroken, by marrying cousins. This sometimes had unfortunate consequences as in the haemophilia that affected some of Queen Victoria's family and which was passed on by marriage to the Spanish royal family. Visibly so with the mighty Hapsburg's whose large jutting jaw was their genetic trademark.

There have been times when our monarchs failed to produce a legitimate heir or surviving child (Queen Anne 1702-1714) complicated by the requirement of a Protestant heir, that led to the succession not being of the closest relation, but the most acceptable i.e. George I of Hanover.

The tremendous public outpouring of grief over the death of Diana wasn't a first either. One of our less loved and extravagant kings: George IV, whose womanising when Prince of Wales, was a cause of great concern to his father George III. In order to try and bring him to heel, The King offered to pay his son's considerable debts if he would settle down and marry his cousin Caroline of Brunswick. When he met her, he was repulsed by her and on their wedding night, while she waited for him in bed, he lay drunk in the hearth.

The did consummate the marriage and the result was a daughter: Princess Charlotte. The marriage of George and Caroline was a disaster. When she turned up at Westminster Abbey for his Coronation, he had the doors slammed in her face, she shouting that she was Queen and demanding to be let in - but to no avail. He tried to divorce her, but the evidence was so scandalous and damaging to the monarchy that he had to abandon it half way through. Caroline died soon afterwards, but of course public sympathy was all for her.

Because her father was so disliked, his daughter Charlotte was the great hope for the future and hugely popular. She married Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg Gotha (brother of Queen Victoria's mother) and later to become Leopold I of Belgium. Sadly, when giving birth to her first child (a son), she was in labour for 50 hours. The baby was born dead and Charlotte died hours later. Her death was met as with Diana's, a massive show of public grief. She was buried at Windsor Castle with her baby in her coffin. As I said in my earlier post, the average person really knows very little about the royals and would probably never have heard of any of the above events.

We eat, sleep, find shelter and warmth and reproduce. For many, that's as much as concerns them. :lol:

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:43 am

That's all by the by now Sherri .... the Royals have got with it....

the bloodline now has some tinted infusion

If Archie made the throne it would be - Dis is yo King comin at ya from da Palace wid out Malice ... can ya diggit? :P
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

danet

Post by danet » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:10 pm

gnads wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:43 am
That's all by the by now Sherri .... the Royals have got with it....

the bloodline now has some tinted infusion

If Archie made the throne it would be - Dis is yo King comin at ya from da Palace wid out Malice ... can ya diggit? :P
:lol: I needed that laugh! Thanx :)
You’re such a dag :D

Beachbum
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Beachbum » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:05 am

I think Harry has married his mother as the old saying goes.

She is strong willed and unlikely to be anyone's doormat.

Hope the marriage turns out better than his fathers disaster with his mother.

Return to “The Corner Shop”