Cut Throat Lane

Local History for Tyne & Wear
jeff
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Cut Throat Lane

Post by jeff »

Following up recently on some family history research I came across a reference to Cut Throat Lane. Can anyone locate this. I can find no reference on my old OS copies of Shields.
There's nothing wrong with being mediocre........as long as you're good at it!
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Cut Throat Lane

Post by Pilot »

Google "Cut throat lane south shields" there is a few mentions.
I voted leave

jeff
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jeff »

After much research, I believe I have found an answer. Cut Throat Lane was apparently an early name for Dean Road and shown on a map by Mr Richardson of Darlington in 1768. It started as a farm track, giving access to common pasture land for nine tenant farmers of Westoe village. Starting at its highest point in the east,on the north side of the village, it ran south west at a slight downward gradient until it reached the valley of the Dean Burn, where it dipped sharply and turned west to join the Rekendyke Roman road at the south east corner of Jarrow Slake....................................................
My thanks to Ken Corner for his help in this research.

Jeff
There's nothing wrong with being mediocre........as long as you're good at it!
Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths »

jeff wrote:After much research, I believe I have found an answer. Cut Throat Lane was apparently an early name for Dean Road and shown on a map by Mr Richardson of Darlington in 1768. It started as a farm track, giving access to common pasture land for nine tenant farmers of Westoe village. Starting at its highest point in the east,on the north side of the village, it ran south west at a slight downward gradient until it reached the valley of the Dean Burn, where it dipped sharply and turned west to join the Rekendyke Roman road at the south east corner of Jarrow Slake....................................................
My thanks to Ken Corner for his help in this research.

Jeff
So now you know the answer to Cut Throat Lane everything is all Cut and Dried.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't