MEMORIES

Local History for Tyne & Wear
comeonthen
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

MEMORIES

Post by comeonthen »

Grandad far left and great grandad with large moustache, all looking grim.
dad's first school photo.
Mother when little.
Me when little
My junior school photo
Me and a couple of my mates
Me and my dog on cleadon hills overlooking Lake Ave
I thought I looked the business in this suit
comeonthen
Bandana Dave
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: MEMORIES

Post by Bandana Dave »

Brilliant Photos, myself i would lose the one in the Blue suit with the Aeroplane lapels and the Flares :roll: would ya were it now ?
"Shy Kids Get no Sweets"
malaymac
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: sometimes Sheels, sometimes Singapore, or maybe Malaysia

Post by malaymac »

Comeonthen, cracking photo's mate, thanks for sharing them with us.
Late 80's, did you live near Morpeth Avenue between The County and Mortimer Road ?
comeonthen
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by comeonthen »

Bandana Dave wrote:Brilliant Photos, myself i would lose the one in the Blue suit with the Aeroplane lapels and the Flares :roll: would ya were it now ?
I would give anything to fit into it now. It won't fit, I aint got it. For some obscure reason I thought I was the bees knees in it. Has anybody else got any embarrassing photos showing their dress sense from the younger days? Be brave and post them.
comeonthen
malaymac wrote:Comeonthen, cracking photo's mate, thanks for sharing them with us.
Late 80's, did you live near Morpeth Avenue between The County and Mortimer Road ?
No, never lived near the place. I was brought up in Stoke on Trent and moved up here for a few years before moving to London for another few years and like an idiot I came back to Shields and been stuck here ever since.
comeonthen
nesr012

Post by nesr012 »

malaymac wrote:Late 80's, did you live near Morpeth Avenue between The County and Mortimer Road ?
Malamac, I think you may be referring to pic 181 above with the blue Beau Brummel suite.

There is an uncanny resemblance to Lawrence Thompson who lived in Warwick Road between Mortimer and the County who attended Mortimer Road School and later worked as a gardener for the Council.

Killer lapels, I bet it was hard to keep your feet on the ground in windy conditions. :lol:
comeonthen
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by comeonthen »

nesr012 wrote:
malaymac wrote:Late 80's, did you live near Morpeth Avenue between The County and Mortimer Road ?
Malamac, I think you may be referring to pic 181 above with the blue Beau Brummel suite.

There is an uncanny resemblance to Lawrence Thompson who lived in Warwick Road between Mortimer and the County who attended Mortimer Road School and later worked as a gardener for the Council.

Killer lapels, I bet it was hard to keep your feet on the ground in windy conditions. :lol:
I do not know the person who you are refering to but here is another bit of uncanniness. My name is Laurie, which is normally short for Lawrence but not in my case as I have Laurie as my proper name. what's going on?
comeonthen
malaymac
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by malaymac »

nesr012 wrote:

Nes, so you noticed too. Isn't that amazing ?
All we need now is for Lawrence Thompson to sign in and say he used to live in Sheels, but now lives in Stoke .... :lol:
nesr012

Post by nesr012 »

Last I heard Tomma was living somewhere in the Hexham area of Northumberland.
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

your mam is a little cutie,lovley thick dark hair ,love that photo...... =D>
num 133.......lovin the sicadelick [carnt spell it] shirt ..and i can remeber the Velvet Jackets,my brothers had them... :D .
Nes love your signiture pic...wicked. =D>
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

I drove down Bradwell Lane passed your old house yesterday :D :D :D
I voted leave

comeonthen
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by comeonthen »

Pilot wrote:I drove down Bradwell Lane passed your old house yesterday :D :D :D
272 Bradwell Lane. I noticed that you told me after you had been. Next time you go down put me in the boot.
anna wrote:your mam is a little cutie,lovley thick dark hair ,love that photo...... =D>
num 133.......lovin the sicadelick [carnt spell it] shirt ..and i can remeber the Velvet Jackets,my brothers had them... :D .
Anna my mam was of Arab origin, hence the dark features, all our family have dark features except me. I am pleased that my dad was a blonde because who knows where I might have come from.
comeonthen
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

Anna my mam was of Arab origin
no s**t sherlock !!! :D
my blonde is out of a bottle you know ....i already guessed that ,my daughter is quater Arab,,she is not as dark as your mam,she is more of an olive skin..
I just love to see old photos like that ,,it deserves to be framed and on show ...its a belta.. :wink:
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

photo 133 is that harold wilson sitting in the yella welly ? :lol:
comeonthen
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by comeonthen »

jimmywizz wrote:photo 133 is that harold wilson sitting in the yella welly ? :lol:
Well spotted jimmy, it is Pilot's mate Harold and his mate Callaghan. This was shortly before the club closed for a while owing to allowing undesirables on the premises.
comeonthen
malaymac
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by malaymac »

Can anyone recall when Alf Joseph got involved in the yella wellie,
seems like he's been there all his life. :)
nesr012

Post by nesr012 »

malaymac wrote:Can anyone recall when Alf Joseph got involved in the yella wellie,
I am not familiar with the "Yella Wellie" but I can remember Alfey Josephs involvement in the Hedworth Hall and the attached Masonic Lodge for some forty years - excellent trumpet player in his day - is he still alive?
malaymac
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by malaymac »

nesr012 wrote:
malaymac wrote:Can anyone recall when Alf Joseph got involved in the yella wellie,
I am not familiar with the "Yella Wellie" but I can remember Alfey Josephs involvement in the Hedworth Hall and the attached Masonic Lodge for some forty years - excellent trumpet player in his day - is he still alive?
Alfie used to play golf with me dad (before he suffered his stroke 10 years ago) and so, I'm not sure if Alfie's still around.
Alfie's son Steve, also helped out a lot down there. I suppose a lot of lads from the Grammar school (mid 70's) would remember Steve.
I sincerely hope they're both fit and well.
comeonthen
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by comeonthen »

I used to go regulary to the Golden Slipper club at Hedworth Hall. I knew that people called it the 'yella welly' but never knew why it was called this. Can someone enlighten an ignorant old timer. Or maybe I was having too good a time to care what the place was called.
comeonthen
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

The Hedworth Hall
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »