Open council tip

Local History for Tyne & Wear
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Open council tip

Post by martymont »

Can anybody confirm if there was a council tip at the bottom of whiteleas were the leisure centre is or was it further beside Georgies School because i playe there when i was little, foungd some great stuff, i knoe they weren't by the Black Paths. :? :?
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Open council tip

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Can remember the council tip on Temple Park. It was next to King George Road and Nevinson Avenue.
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

i can remember the one that used to be in boldon
just up the road from gordon durhams
the gear that was in there
well we had a great time
then gaan over for frogs behind gordon durhams
when i was a lad
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

martymont when i read the title of this post i thought you were talking about the state of shopping left in king street :lol: but to answer you question as a kid the whole length of king george road where the playing fields are today was a council tip, they used to have a wire fence up to stop the rubbish blowing back into the houses
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

When I was a kid and attending Horsley Hill junior school in the early 50s there was a tip where the Army camp was next to the gun emplacements above Frenchmans bay. We used to spend hours scrounging about there.
malaymac
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: sometimes Sheels, sometimes Singapore, or maybe Malaysia

Post by malaymac »

jimmywizz wrote:martymont when i read the title of this post i thought you were talking about the state of shopping left in king street :lol: but to answer you question as a kid the whole length of king george road where the playing fields are today was a council tip, they used to have a wire fence up to stop the rubbish blowing back into the houses
Aye, yer quite right Jimmy. When I was a little lad at Cleadon Park junior school in Park Avenue we sometimes would see all kinds of rubbish blown across King George Road.
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

When I played there as a kid there was no fence as Whiteleas at that time it was all open fields, King Street is immaculate compared to where I live now :lol: :lol: :lol:
Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Axeman »

My mother says that the land that is now Temple Park, used to be a golf course in her younger days..

WWW.NEWHARTLEYSERVICES.CO.UK. SAVE SAVE SAVE. Swap to a cheaper, better service.
Play in an on-line lottery syndicate...WWW.BETLOTT.COM
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

It was not a golf course it was an open tip then levelled to become Temple Park Juniors and the rest to shape the Black Paths.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Temple park was never a golf course in my time, and I go a long way back.
Only know of two golf courses around Shields, Cleadon and then Whitburn.

8)
Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Axeman »

Got to remember than my mothers 90 yrs old Baldy and beats you in that aspect..

. :D
WWW.NEWHARTLEYSERVICES.CO.UK. SAVE SAVE SAVE. Swap to a cheaper, better service.
Play in an on-line lottery syndicate...WWW.BETLOTT.COM
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Axeman wrote:Got to remember than my mothers 90 yrs old Baldy and beats you in that aspect..

. :D
True hatchette man, didn't take note of who had made the post, this calls for further investigation.
On with the deerstalker and cape, and where's me pipe. :D

8)
eddieg
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by eddieg »

In 1965,The council bought a bus from the corporation,to be used as accomodation for the workers at the tip. :oops:
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Can remember when the tram sheds at the Chi were getting renovated and the buses were parked every night the length of the road from White Ensign to the car stop. Used to be warm and comfortable on there if you could persuade any of the girls from Temple park youth club to sneak upstairs on the back seat with you.
gag
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gag »

:D Its all coming out now Pete old son !!!! and I thought you were a quiet lad !!!!! :D :D

cheers.

gag.
You can take the lad out of Shields, but you cannot take Shields out of the lad !!!!!!!!!!!
comeonthen
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by comeonthen »

I used to play on rubbish tips when I was young. If they had them now where you could go on I think I would enjoy it again. There is no safe places for kids to play anymore. The rubbish tip was safe in them days as long as you kept away from the tippers. Broken glass, decay, rotten food, rats and allsorts. Bring back open tips for the kids to play on. they would be safer than palying in the park on their own. Just think, going back home stinking.
comeonthen
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

Comeonthen is right it did seem safer playing on the tips, what I also did was when the council truck used to come round the estate and empty the drains with a hose, any toy or money they used to put on the pavement, rinse it and we would take it away dont do that now probably againdt some European Law against it or risk assessment done. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Barney
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Barney »

All of what is now Temple Park, from the John Reid Road, down to Nevinson Avenue, was, at one time or another, a council dump. The land where the Leisure centre now sits was the first part to be "land filled", and the council gradually worked all the way down King George Road until they got to the spot where they were building Nevinson, which, at that time, stopped just by Soane Gardens.

I remember well the old blue bus they used as an office/crash pad.
It was towed by bulldozer gradually down the site.

We used to play in that tip - if you could call it playing!
It's a wonder we didn't get all kinds of diseases.
We used to find all kinds of stuff from Harton Hospital there - used needles and surgery equipment, rotten beds and bed clothes. Some kids even once found an amputated leg there!!! Right where the Leisure Centre is now!!

The black path from the end of Nevi to the Ridgeway had to be rerouted when they got the dump that far down.
The other black paths across to the Leisure Centre came later.
The original black paths ran between Manet Gardens and the roundabout at Whiteleas Way/Boldon Lane, while the demarcation path for the tip ran up behind Temple Park School straight through to the John Reid Road. The hills to the Whiteleas Way side of these paths are landscaped s**g heaps from Harton Colliery!!

Ah - home again!!! :lol:
The Wild Witch-Wizard of Whiteleas
Was a changeling's son from Mars.
He learnt his songs
From the Cosmic Throngs
And played them on a Fender guitar - Oh yeah.
Barney
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Barney »

Incidentally, in relation to another topic a while back, it was the southern most part of that tip, between the Ridgeway black path and Nevi, that was supposed to be burning for years underground!

That are was also supposed to be "haunted" or "hunted" by a wild, black boar, although I never saw it.

More likely a wild-eyed, blacked-out bore!!!
There was lots of dope and other d r u g usage going on there.

Could ramble on for-ivva!!!

Now who's a bore!!? :oops:
The Wild Witch-Wizard of Whiteleas
Was a changeling's son from Mars.
He learnt his songs
From the Cosmic Throngs
And played them on a Fender guitar - Oh yeah.
comeonthen
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by comeonthen »

martymont wrote:Comeonthen is right it did seem safer playing on the tips, what I also did was when the council truck used to come round the estate and empty the drains with a hose, any toy or money they used to put on the pavement, rinse it and we would take it away dont do that now probably againdt some European Law against it or risk assessment done. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I phoned the council the other week about blocked drains near my house, they said that they would send someone round to clear them. I remember when they used to empty the drains out when I was a kid. It was on a regular basis. When I asked the council if they still do it I was told that they only do it when someone complains about the drain. No wonder there is flooding all about. I have seen weeds growing out of some drains.
comeonthen