Old South Shields

Local History for Tyne & Wear
jimpintin
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Old South Shields

Post by jimpintin »

Does anyone know if Lower Thames Street Westoe still exists? My great grand father lived there at the time of the 1901 Census but I have not been able to locate it on any online maps etc. Maybe the area was redeveloped? I can't come and look for my self as I'm in Australia!

Appreciate any information. Thanks
comeonthen
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Old South Shields

Post by comeonthen »

sorry to say mate but it was pulled down and redeveloped a lot of years ago. The local library have maps dating from the 1800s. If these are available on line you will be able to see where your ancestors lived and get a feeling for the area. Good luck.I am new to the internet so maybe someone knows if the maps are on line. If I have any photos of the area I will send them to you.
comeonthen
jimpintin
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by jimpintin »

Thank you comeonthen. I suspected as much. I might follow up with the library as you suggest -or come over sometime for a look around! I was there briefly in 1970 but knew nothing of the ancestors then. Pity. My great-grandparents lived and died there and my grandfather came out here around 1900. Any photos of the area would be great to have. Thanks again
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Look at this site and you'll find what you want.

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

8)
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

hi jimpintin welcome to sunny south shields
jimpintin
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by jimpintin »

Thanks to baldy.smith for the maps link -I found Thames St on an 1862 map of South Shields, north of what was then King Street. This seems to be in Westoe Ward. No Thames St in Westoe (village?) further south.

Thanks also to the welcome from jimmywizz from sunny South Shields. Sunny here in Canberra today as well -about 25C and blue skies but 200km/2hrs drive to the beach!
Barney
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Barney »

jimpintin wrote:Thanks to baldy.smith for the maps link -I found Thames St on an 1862 map of South Shields, north of what was then King Street. This seems to be in Westoe Ward. No Thames St in Westoe (village?) further south.

Thanks also to the welcome from jimmywizz from sunny South Shields. Sunny here in Canberra today as well -about 25C and blue skies but 200km/2hrs drive to the beach!
Welcome aboard jimpintin.

I think there used to be a Thames Street in the Deans Estate - baldy can correct me if i'm wrong.
If so, this has also been redeveloped a couple of decades back.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

"Lower Thames Street" was what has become to be known as "River Drive".

"Thames Street"
ran from "Lower Thames Street" towards the Railway Stationon Mile End Road,
passing the top of "North Street"and ending at the top of "Salem Street". Both North Street
and Salem Street are still there I believe.

So summing it up, both Lower Thames Street and Thames Street were swallowed up by River Drive.

8)
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

jimpintin wrote:Thanks to baldy.smith for the maps link -I found Thames St on an 1862 map of South Shields, north of what was then King Street. This seems to be in Westoe Ward. No Thames St in Westoe (village?) further south.
There was no Westoe Village as such in those days. The Westoe Ward covered from Ocean Road/King Street
right up to Harton and most of Laygate, Those are the Electoral Wards, the Parish Wards were a bit different
I think.

8)
jimpintin
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by jimpintin »

Thanks for additional info baldy.smith. Much appreciated.