Shields isn't very 'canny' now...

Local History for Tyne & Wear
shadypete
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Shields isn't very 'canny' now...

Post by shadypete »

Hi - this is a first post after reading it for quite a while now.

Sorry to make my first message such a negative one, but I really could weep for what my town has become.

I was born here in the early Fifties and lived here until the Eighties. I come back quite often to visit friends, and simply because I still feel it's far more my home than anywhere else I've lived. But every time I visit, there are changes, and they're nearly always changes for the worse.

So much of what made Shields a nice place to be are gone. Every time they knock a building down it's replaced by something really crappy - and boy, have they knocked a few buildings down in the last twenty years!

But worst of all is how tatty and disreputable the town centre is now. I remember when people used to wander down Fowler Street on fine evenings just looking at the window displays. Now nearly every shop has great metal shutters, graffiti'd to hell, and Fowler Street looks like something you'd see in Moss Side. Remember when Frederick Street was a really nice shopping area? It was always a bit down-market compared to King Street, but that was part of its charm. Now it's a rat-hole.

A lot of the blame I'd put squarely onto vandals, and onto the police for failing to catch the buggers. Every time I visit, there's a fresh crop of 'tags' from the same people - you'd think the cops could catch criminals who actually SIGN THEIR NAMES, albeit nicknames, but no. There are even tags on ROOFS in King Street. If I ever caught one of these graffiti 'artists', I'd be sorely tempted to shove his spray-can up his bottom.

Sorry for the rant. It's not a dig at Shields - quite the opposite, in fact.

I loved my town, and I mourn for it.
Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Shields isn't very 'canny' now...

Post by Axeman »

I agree mate.....but I don't think it's just Shields.

WWW.NEWHARTLEYSERVICES.CO.UK. SAVE SAVE SAVE. Swap to a cheaper, better service.
Play in an on-line lottery syndicate...WWW.BETLOTT.COM
drwho
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by drwho »

To Shadypete rant on as much as you like i dont know how many times
they have tried to improve King Street with block paving and paving slabs
with no joy.
tardis taxi's
mikerobertson_uk
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by mikerobertson_uk »

the thing is there "tags" & aliases also there "street" names and the like are a held on computer the first time they are caught.So why the police cant go straight round & nick them after that is beyond me. #-o
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

hi pete welcome to ouur boards
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

Axeman wrote:I agree mate.....but I don't think it's just Shields.

I agree Axeman...

.Hi Shady, welcome :hello:
we already have a Pete,so i,ll call you shady.. :wink:
Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths »

Its a world wide problem. One of the ways that Auckland is trying to curb the problem is to get the owners of the premises tagged .To buy a cheap large tin of paint, and then re-paint the wall door etc. Which drives the taggers nuts as their handiwork can no longer be seen by his-her peers, and the public can not see it either and the taggers efforts have all been in vain.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't
denis
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by denis »

it is about time the police did the job they get well paid for,and the judges delt out the proper punishments ,[a big fine or if he is under age fine the parents]
westhartonlass
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by westhartonlass »

the good years were in the 60s,the town was very clean with lots of work,new housing,good bus service,good hosptials,librarys.the town is not what it was.it not fair that people have to move to find work .who cares?.. no one at the top? the town will go down hill .ex shields lass
shadypete
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by shadypete »

I feel a bit cheered up by these understanding replies. I'm glad I'm not the only one who cares that this has happened to Sh ields (it's easy to get the impression that people have ceased bothing about the way the town looks, even if this isn't the case).

All the best

Pete
Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths »

We should never give up for the welfare of our cities. fatalism needs to be shaken out of many who just sit back and think what we can do and don't bother to try. So Pete I applaud you in your desires for a better Shields.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't
drwho
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by drwho »

Just been down town today i see they have finised part of
King Street well ? i think they have their are some mighty big spacers
between some of stone blocks so ladies becarefull with them there stilleto heels.
tardis taxi's
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

pete people do care but they have never had a place to write about it, they can now on here :wink: the council do read these boards and you never know some points may be picked up on, me like most people are sick of the scum roaming the streets but lets hope some of these new drinking laws the jocks are bringing in will come down to here too
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

=D> ..lets hope.
rainbow
Head Doer
Head Doer

Post by rainbow »

:) I love Shields, the shops, market the walk down to the parks or the beach, and my only wish is that folk, would not throw rubbish in streets....How many on site, can like me, remember a time when folk/shop-keepers kept their part of the area clean.
Shields with its history, heritage....brilliant Musuem and Roman Fort, have a lot to offer to visitors, but what must they think when the town centre is in need of a good sweep.
This is a great thread, and like jimmywizz said, its a chance for the people who live/work in South Shields to post views.
We truly have alot to be proud of......cheers Rainbow

:) think I need another cup of tea..... :)
cushy butterfield
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by cushy butterfield »

OK after reading this post and knowing I will be over to South Shields for the first time in 24 years, I plan to do a lot of looking around old haunts etc travelling by bus etc. is there any places I should avoid going too. I know the place must have changed a great deal an am looking forwrd to seeing how much, but am now a bit apprehensive about places I should or should not go to. any suggestions :-k :-k
life is not how many breathes you take its how much life takes your breath away
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Don't be apprehensive. Shields isn't really a dangerous place. I happily travel on public transport at night, go in pubs and wait for taxis in the town centre and never see anything that bothers me. There are a couple of pubs that are maybe a bit rough but Shields is no different to anywhere else..
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

keep away from the Colliery pub in Boldon Lane.
johnc10
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by johnc10 »

It's called Last Orders now Pete
northern

Post by northern »

Whilst i was in South shields i found what ever pub/club i went into i never felt threatend.
It took a while for you Geordies to accept me in your pub/s.. Once accepeted you have to go a long
way to match the hospitality of The Geordies... Bury being in first position of course :wink: :lol:
i guess i went into every pub in shields and more. i used to drink in the Pier a lot. funny pub
but good company was held there.
i dont know what Shields was like in the early days, i can only go by what i saw whislt there.
I think the people of South Shields need to get rid of the council and get a more vibrant
positive lot in power.
Whats needed is a big voice taken to Parliment for the right to jobs in Shields. The council
here in Bury voiced there might and in due time a lot of industrial sites was on the cards.
this in turn gave much needed empolyment to people. There is of course high unemployment
in shields. The start of the downfall of a place, no positive vibes.
If it can be done in Bury, get your votes right next time and make change for a better shields .... Your shields :wink: