Cutting The Cord

Leave your remarks about life in South Shields / South Tyneside

Moderator: andysfootball

busybird
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Cutting The Cord

Post by busybird »

Hello - not sure if this is the right place to get help but here goes.

We are expecting our first baby in November and having a water birth delivery at South Tyneside Hospital in South Shields. However, we've been told that I (the dad) cannot cut the umbilical due to an accident that occured at South Tyneside Foundation Trust about ten years ago. Despite requests from us to have the policy reviewed we are being told that it will NOT be possible for me to do this. This affects EVERY father and birthing partner using the hospital and it is, as far as we can tell, the ONLY hospital in the UK that has this policy.

We believe that the policy needs to be changed and we are asking for your support by signing our online petition. We know that some people won't see it as a big issue or not something to worry about but it is very important to us and to many other dads. Please take a minute if you can to sign our petition and help us to get fathers rights respected!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/father ... h-tyneside

Thanks for your time.

Nick & Julie
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Cutting The Cord

Post by Pilot »

Good luck in your quest, personally I would not like to be or ever was, in the same building as my wife when she gave birth never mind the same room or cutting the cord. :shock: But times change I suppose.
I voted leave

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

I did sign though. =D>
I voted leave

johnc10
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by johnc10 »

Me too and the best of luck to you both 8)
andysfootball

Post by andysfootball »

do the babies have to wear swimming goggles and snorkels ?
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON
busybird
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by busybird »

Thanks for your kind comments and the supporting comments we have received by email. I will pass the swimming goggles comment on with the petition - thanks for giving me and jools a really good belly laugh at an extremely stressfull time :-) Spread the word!
margy
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by margy »

And me, good luck to you both :)
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•
curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly »

What the **** is a "birthing partner"?

Is this the politically correct term for "wor lass"?
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

GOOD LUCK,,HOPE THIS HELPS YOU TO YOUR RIGHTS,AND YOUR WISHES.. :wink:
Scrappy

Post by Scrappy »

LOL @ Andy.. :lol:
Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths »

I can't sign the petition because I live in Australia. But good luck with your petition.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't
johnc10
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by johnc10 »

Global, if you click on the link you will see that people from all over the world can sign in so, off you go and sign :lol:
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

When our first child was born 35 years ago fathers had to wait in the waiting room during delivery. When our daughter was born 30 years ago fathers were encouraged to be present at the birth, so like a good husband I sat and held my wife's hand through the delivery. When it was all over she thanked me for staying with her and she said if she knew I would be there she would go through it again. I told her if I had been present at the first birth she would not have been having anymore. I went and had a vasectomy after that to ensure I did not have to go through it again, unfortunately it did not work and 26 years ago I had to sit with her for the birth of our second Son contacted the Doctor who had done my op and told him it had not worked, he said how do you know, I told him my wife had just given birth. He phoned me back after checking his records and said you never sent any samples in, I said that's right the wife kept missing the test tube. He did the op again and I made sure we used a jam jar to catch the sample in, I finally got my certificate 5 years after first vasectomy.
Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Blue... »

Jarrow Pete wrote:When our first child was born 35 years ago fathers had to wait in the waiting room during delivery. When our daughter was born 30 years ago fathers were encouraged to be present at the birth, so like a good husband I sat and held my wife's hand through the delivery. When it was all over she thanked me for staying with her and she said if she knew I would be there she would go through it again. I told her if I had been present at the first birth she would not have been having anymore. I went and had a vasectomy after that to ensure I did not have to go through it again, unfortunately it did not work and 26 years ago I had to sit with her for the birth of our second Son contacted the Doctor who had done my op and told him it had not worked, he said how do you know, I told him my wife had just given birth. He phoned me back after checking his records and said you never sent any samples in, I said that's right the wife kept missing the test tube. He did the op again and I made sure we used a jam jar to catch the sample in, I finally got my certificate 5 years after first vasectomy.
are you saying that your samples had saliva in them?

it's not rocket surgery... :5dunce:
Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Blue... »

andysfootball wrote:do the babies have to wear swimming goggles and snorkels ?
holey crappers... i nearly spat my coffee out... LOL \Image/

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Blue... »

I went to the birth of both of our girls… and I’ll only say one thing… there’s just some things you can’t unsee Image

why people do all of this under water, back to front and up side down crap is beyound me... the whole family is in there wiht the video camera going ... ffs.. get a grip :roll:

Scrappy

Post by Scrappy »

Blue Wrote
I went to the birth of both of our girls… and I’ll only say one thing… there’s just some things you can’t unsee Image
ROFL @ That...I must admit there is no way I would want to do that either, [-X
They asked me If I wanted a mirror, I said :shock: :shock: NO THANKS, I'm quite fine :lol:
johnc10
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by johnc10 »

Blue... wrote:I went to the birth of both of our girls… and I’ll only say one thing… there’s just some things you can’t unsee Image

why people do all of this under water, back to front and up side down crap is beyound me... the whole family is in there wiht the video camera going ... ffs.. get a grip :roll:
I take it you're gonna sign twice then :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

When our son was born, 34 years ago I was thrown out of the hospital and told to come back when it was all over, he was born at 1700hrs but visiting wasn't till 1930hrs so I had to wait, thank goodness :shock: I had a pint afterwards in the pub on the corner of Harton Lane and Boldon Lane cant remember what its called. By the time my daughter was born, they were encouraging fathers to stay, but after the 2nd bout of sickness (Mrs P not me) I decided to check my turn on the pilots rota, luckily I had the 2nd turn and had to get to work fast :D :D Got a phone call from Mrs P when it was all over and safe to visit. :D :D :D
I voted leave

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Blue... »

Scrappy wrote:They asked me If I wanted a mirror, I said :shock: :shock: NO THANKS, I'm quite fine :lol: [/b][/color]
:shock:

Omg, now see, that’s the sort of thing you should do in the privacy of your own home… lol…. my stupid sister in law had to have the big “HOME” water birth… they used like this little swimming pool thing, then they wanted to show mum and dad the video… ffs….
But anyways… I was at my other second oldest brothers place for one of the kids birthday party and my brother-in-law didn’t have a tape for his video camera.. so he calls my oldest brother (with the stupid sister in law) to borrow a spare tape….
so anyways… the broinlaw is taping all sorts of silly stuff of the day and then later on hooked up the camera to the big wide screen TV for us all to watch… everyone is pulling faces and stuff and the tape is getting near to the end and all of a sudden the tape flickers and you see my sister in law in this blow up tub thing, ass in the air at her “home birth” …

well….

my brother in law is diving from one side of the room to try and turn the video off but he trips and he’s going as fast as he can on his hands and knees.. pmsl… and he’s hitting like every button on the video player.. lol.. .i’ve nearly imploded from trying not to laugh and my oldest brother (with the stupid sis in law) is just sitting there stunned.. just staring trying to take in what tape that he given to tape over…. one of the single most funny things that’s ever happened… every now and again it comes up and we have a laugh again… someone only needs to say “MOON” and we know what they are talking about pmsl….

and then there was the time the baby came out with the umbilical cord was wrapped around the babies neck twice… it was turning blue, they had to put it on oxygen etc… and my bro thought it was going to d*e… there is only a mid wife there… it was down right dangerous to be doing it that way in this day and age !!