The Clouded Yellow

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Jerry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

The Clouded Yellow

Post by Jerry »

I was going to tell people that this film was on C5 today, because part of it is set in Newcastle. However, I could only remember a short sequence on Castle Stairs in the dark and was afraid of disappointing viewers. In any case it might not have been on in the NE.

In fact Trevor Howard and Jean Simmons are on the run and arrive by train in Newcastle, where a very prissy female voice announces the fact. Picture of Tyne Bridge and the Castle. They get a bus and ask for 'two to Jesmond'. The conductor takes the tickets from his little rack.

The bus which looks yellow even in black and white is the No. 12 and has Gosforth on the front. The safe house they go to is on a street I know but can't place.

The police turn up and the couple flee by way of Castle Stairs down to the river and row a boat across to the Gateshead side ('both bridges are closed') and TWOC a car. They're actually on their way to the Lake District. [This sequence is shot in Sour Milk Ghyll]

Someone spots them and in an instant the whole mountain is covered in cops. I've never seen so many bluebottles since I absent-mindedly drove my motor-bike through a road-block on the Bedford Road.

The finale is in Liverpool Docks.

It's quite a nice film, but Hitchcock would have done it better.

There isn't a Geordie voice throughout.
http://www.myersnorth.co.uk

Either everybody matters or nobody matters
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

"The Clouded Yellow" film, was named after the butterfly Clouded Yellow.

I remember seeing it years ago, I remember one part in "The Lakes" where they are at a road junction at the side of Ullswater very near Aera Force. I recognised the spot as soon as I saw it. Shame it was in Black and white

8)
Jerry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jerry »

I've just remembered: someone tells Trevor Howard that a rendezvous is at 'the Surtees House'. Never heard that in a commercial film before or since.
http://www.myersnorth.co.uk

Either everybody matters or nobody matters
brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c »

There isn't a Geordie voice throughout.
If there had been they would have needed subtitles.

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!
Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

POST TOPIC

Post by Globalmyths »

brian c wrote: "If there had been they would have needed subtitles".

You gotta laugh at that :lol: :lol: :lol: