My Ant Farm

Leave your remarks about life in South Shields / South Tyneside

Moderator: andysfootball

CJ
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by CJ »

Can't think of anywhere in the world where ants live on blue jelly, I'm sure you could make a human version of blue nutritous jelly WE could all survive on, but who wants to??and it seems the perfect medium to harbour a virus. In captivity you havn't given them the chance to procreate au natural so to speak, with no prince and princess there's no fertilised ant babies so no on-going community consisting of subsequent generations of the tribe. In purchasing this ant cage, you assure them of depression and death.

I once followed a trail of incredibly busy ants, for over a 100 feet, fascinating to the Nth, I watched them for far too long to be sane. But they seemed very productive and purposeful,...and free! Some chewing leaves into smaller pieces, others transporting the pieces, others scouting etc. etc. Trapped in a perspex box of blue jelly, with no where to go, nothing to do and no hope of survival, seems cruel. They're such canny little creatures Pilot, it would be much kinder to let them have a nest in your garden, you could have hours of endless fun, and not have to watch them d*e for it!
duskie
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by duskie »

WOW… very deep CJ…. I'm almost impressed… I said almost ;) …. I'm rather taken with Pilots Blue ant complex with glowing lights… what ant wouldn’t want to live in such a luxurious Penthouse.. ? :D
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri »

When I read CJ's post i found myself agreeing-she made those productive ants sound so... so.. so.. attractive.
But the reality is I am a really heartless person. If i see a little line of ants industriously making their way across my bench or my wall, out comes the insect spray and down goes the ant rid and i think.. d*e, ants, d*e. :twisted:
pilot, if you want to make an ant's day, just toss a few breadcrumbs into the blue jelly, that should keep them occupied a few hours. :wink:
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

Cut me, do I not bleed, OMG CJ I was feeling distraught and now I feel like a murderous hostage taker too. :cry:
There she sits on her blue jelly waiting for the call :cry:
The blue jelly was made by NASA scientists as a nutritional food and living medium combined, when they took ants up in the space shuttle to see how they behaved in zero gravity. 8) But you are right CJ, I have no right to imprison the little beggers for my amusement, as self punishment I will have a cheap Chilean plonk tonight instead of my vintage South Australian Chardonnay. :wink:
I voted leave

Ugly Betty
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Ugly Betty »

Pilot wrote:...as self punishment I will have a cheap Chilean plonk tonight instead of my vintage South Australian Chardonnay. :wink:
As you should, Pilot. And don't even try to enjoy it! :wink:
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

Just a daily report on good old Mr A, she's fit and well, seems to have had a new lease of life since she became queen of the farm. :wink:
I voted leave

Ugly Betty
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Ugly Betty »

For all you know, Pilot, she was responsible for all that carnage.

The Greta Garbo of the ant world?
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

I'm sure I mandible read her saying "my farm not yours" before savaging them all to death. :shock: :wink:
I voted leave

Ugly Betty
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Ugly Betty »

Just goes to show, Pilot, never upset a woman. :wink:
johnc10
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by johnc10 »

How do you know it's a woman Pilot....... although on second thoughts, not sure I wanna know :roll: :oops:
CJ
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by CJ »

pilot, thought you might like to cut out pic and stick to blue jelly prison so Mr./Mrs.A doesn't have to d i e alone.
:cry: :cry:

:lol: :wink: :lol: :wink:
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

Mmmmm, Mr A. A. do you think he would like it down at the farm CJ?
John all ants are female except once a year the queen lays a male egg and another queen egg, these two chosen ones fly off, mate on the wing and the male dies straight after mating, the new queen forms a new nest, all her eggs are female, until she has one male egg the following year and so on. All ants in a nest are sisters. Mr A is a female. :wink:
I voted leave

johnc10
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by johnc10 »

Thanks Pilot, I was waiting in ANTicipation for the answer..... OK..... OK..... I'm sorry, I couldn't resist a Global joke :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

Mr A is still fit and well she seems to have had a new lease of life, its more than a week now since she was left all on her own and she is very active today 8) I was thinking of joining Mr A up as a member of Sanddancers in her own right, after all we shouldn't discriminated on grounds of species. :wink:

My farm not yours. :x
I voted leave

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

Mr A is still fine, she's settled down for the night 8)
I voted leave

Ugly Betty
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Ugly Betty »

At least she's contained, Pilot. Heaven knows what kind of mayhem she might cause if permitted to run loose. I'd hate to learn that you and Mrs. P were found one morning in bits stuck to the walls of your house. :shock: :wink:
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

I'll have to hide that post from Mrs P, she'll have nightmares. :wink:
I voted leave

Ugly Betty
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Ugly Betty »

Hee hee, good call. :lol:
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

Mr A still quite chirpy today.

My farm not yours :evil:
I voted leave

Hugh Jass
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Hugh Jass »

Pilot wrote:Yes very interesting Betty, but I'm puzzled, I don't have a queen ant, but a few days ago a whole bunch of ant eggs appeared, this cannot happen!!!!!!but it most certainly has. :shock:
Truly astonishing Pilot, that's a wildly interesting hobby you have there :shock: :shock: :shock:

WTF :roll:
Howdy I'm Howie