Changing times

Leave your remarks about life in South Shields / South Tyneside

Moderator: andysfootball

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Changing times

Post by Pilot »

Talking about times gone by in another thread yesterday reminded me of when I was young and playing in the street, us kids would from time to time be called over by an old dear and asked to do a message for them at the shops, they would produce a note with some money, maybe 5 bob wrapped in it and we would go to the shops get whatever was on the note and take the message back to the old dear, plus any change, she would give you 2 pence or 3 pence for going. Now 5 bob in about 1955 must be at least £5 in today's terms, can you imagine an old dear calling a kid over and handing then £5 with a shopping list today? What would the chances be today of the old dear getting her shopping? :shock:
I voted leave

Jim_in_France
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jim_in_France »

Chances of getting her shoppind = 0
Chances of getting told to F off = 10/1
chances of getting Mugged = 50/50

It'zs life Jim, but not as we knew it! :cry:
"The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast."

"We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell."

Oscar Wilde
Jim_in_France
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jim_in_France »

I remember it well, Pilot.

Sometimes we were glad.......if we were skint. Other times we didnt really want to do it, but did anyway, as it was the right thing to do. If they we really! old....Say Ooooh 40 or 50 ish, we would refuse to take the money.
"The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast."

"We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell."

Oscar Wilde
johnc10
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by johnc10 »

You've hit the nail right on the head there Pilot. My paper round used to include The Lonnen and there was 2 or 3 old dears who used to ask me to get a little shopping for them and it was a pleasure doing it and for my trouble i'd get a bag of Maltesers or Wine Gums or just a couple of Black Bullets but I was happy...... like you say that wouldn't and doesn't happen nowadays, i'm only 39 but so much has changed from the early 80's nevermind the 50's and not for the better :cry:
Ugly Betty
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Ugly Betty »

Sadly, Pilot, you're right. Oh how times have changed. When we were kids, we'd help the old folks by clearing the snow or pulling the weeds or taking out the trash. If we got anything for our efforts, we were thrilled and quite proud of ourselves. If we didn't, it mattered not as it was just part of being good neighbors. So many kids today don't see neighbors or old folks who might need a hand. Instead, they see potential targets. :cry:
Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

POST TOPIC

Post by Globalmyths »

If the child was well known to them and they also knew the kids parents I think they would and could trust the kid to do it. I also think that unless the older person was a bit senile they would not be asking kids they didn't know to do some shopping for them.
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

Global, it used to be a regular thing back in the 50s in our street, the street was made up of 3 bedroomed houses for mainly youngish couples with children and 2 bedroomed bungalows for old people. many a time I would be asked to pop to the shops by an old dear I didn't particulaly know. it never crossed our minds to do a runner with the money. :shock:
I voted leave

Derekftm
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Derekftm »

and the kids are gonna get worse
:cry: :cry: :cry:
bluekats

Post by bluekats »

you be lucky to find a kid on the streets of today.. they’re all inside on the damn computer talking to their friends on MSN…. I tell you, a few times last year I just felt like smashing the thing… xmas just gone my daughter had plenty of friends to talk to on the blasted computer but none would get off their buts and come over, go down the street or beach or anything.. not even to the pictures… it’s hopeless… so it was either let my daughter talk to her friends on the net (and damn SMS) or she sit in her bedroom alone.. it’s crazy..
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

Where we lived we were never in the house, only popped back to eat and sleep, Oh yes and when "Journey into space" came on the radio. 8)
I voted leave

chris collins
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by chris collins »

Yes i remember those day's but when you had to go to horsley hill it was a long journey.
We still do the same here now for the neighbours, but we still are 25 years behind. Still saying hello to all the people on the streets as you pass them by and not locking the doors or your car.
Is it the parents in England or the children????????.
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri »

I can't remember as a kid ever having old people ask us to do this-but most of the people in the court were the same age. probably 30's and 40's, though we thought that was pretty ancient, mind you.
I do remember once when we were on holiday interstate, an elderly lady came to her front fence and asked my mother if we could get the milk and bread for her(the shop was just a bit down the road) and we did. Our main worry was for the poor old dear who was obviously on her own and finding it hard.
No way would we have thought of taking off with the money.
Back when i was a child, everyone left their milk money out on top of the front fence, next to the letter box, so the milkman who came early in the morning could collect it and leave the milk.
So you could walk all down the street and most people would have money out there by about 8.30pm-9pm but I don;t recall it ever getting stolen.
Alice
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Alice »

My 2 boys are the same as yours Marrasis they would help anyone if they needed help. I still say it is the way that you bring your children up. Some parents do not give a t....
Life is to short to miss out,just go for it.
gag
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gag »

I remember running the odd errand for the neighbours when I was a kid. Like some have said on this topic, you wouldnt get it nowadays and its nice to hear that some of the board members kids would do it if asked. Good manners and respect for the elderly seem to have gone these days. How many of us has had a trip out to the countryside and noticed fresh eggs, milk etc, etc, for sale with just an honesty box left out for the money ? imagine doing that in some of our towns ! makes you think doesnt it.

cheers.
gag.