Chaucer Avenue, Biddick Hall Estate.

Track down any of your lost pals or family on our Genealogy section
Strike
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Chaucer Avenue, Biddick Hall Estate.

Post by Strike »

Anyone out there in Cyberland who used to live in Chauce Avenue? We used to live at no88, and names I remember are;Sigsworth,Spottiswood,Winter, Gardner, Lilley, Clark, Magrys, Yorston.
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

The Lilley family were my relatives. Sadly Nancy and Jim the parents have passed on but Jim, Kevin and Denise are still around. My daughter used to go out with the grandson of Mr and Mrs Magrs.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

How long ago was that?

I only know of one family in the area called Yorston. An old mate of mine is called Derek Yorston. Yorston is a rare name around here.

8)
Strike
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

chaucer ave/biddick hall

Post by Strike »

Billy Yorston is one of the family but I moved out around 1970. I would expect most of the parents have either passed away or are in their 80's.I'm now 56. I remember Jimmy Lilley used to whistle as he approached home from the pit and the door would be opened for him.Thanks for the feedback.
jimo
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by jimo »

Hi , I lived at number 54,. Have a brother Mick and sister Kath. Which one are you, I think I can rember a Norma

Regards Jim.
Strike
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by Strike »

I'm Norman, just turned 56, then there's Graham and Christine, the twins, both still in Shields, and Gillian, the bairn, over in Keswick. I can't remember which way the numbers went so what is your surname?
jimo
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Chaucer Ave.

Post by jimo »

Hi Norman,
If my memories still ok I think you hung around with my younger brother, Mick Mouat. We both went to Brinky. We lived next door to the "Clarks",my sister Kathleen married the eldest Archie (still married).
Mick Wild was next door to you?, and then the Winters.
Im now living at Mortimer Rd and Micks at Oxford Ave. Good to hear from you, Ill have to let the family know. Keep in touch,

Regards Jim. :D
Strike
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by Strike »

Aye, I seem to remember Mickey having skin tight trousers cos that was the fashion. Me dad wouldn't let me have any. Jean Clark is married to my mate Dave Farham and they live down by the ferry landing. We lived next door to the Spottiswoods, the Wilds were a bit down, next to the Winters.Nice to hear from you and all the best to everyone.
Sigsy
Big Gob
Big Gob

Re: Chaucer Avenue, Biddick Hall Estate.

Post by Sigsy »

Strike wrote:Anyone out there in Cyberland who used to live in Chauce Avenue? We used to live at no88, and names I remember are;Sigsworth,Spottiswood,Winter, Gardner, Lilley, Clark, Magrys, Yorston.
Hi Nornan John Sigsworth here how you doin i lived at 84 next to the Spottiswoods the wilds lived at 78 the Winters at 76. I'm sure Billy Yorston Jnr died before i moved i remember Jimo vaguely i think he used to hang around with John Clark and George Spottiswood being a couple of years older
if you don't ask you don't get. ( i don't get when i do ask usually)
Sigsy
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by Sigsy »

jimo wrote:Hi , I lived at number 54,. Have a brother Mick and sister Kath. Which one are you, I think I can rember a Norma

Regards Jim.
Hi Jim Tell Mick John Sigsworth was asking after him ta
if you don't ask you don't get. ( i don't get when i do ask usually)
Strike
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by Strike »

Hi John,
I'm doing fine here in Harlow and am about to take early retirement from vainly trying to educate the towns youth. I will then 'manage' my wife who is a member of the GB wheelchair racing squad,see 'Charity Race' on main noticeboard. hope you are doing well for yourself.
Ronniesbairn
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Ronniesbairn »

Hi there,a bit of news about the Clarks.Archie snr and Nina live in Elizabeth Diamond Court now.They celebrated their Diamond Wedding a couple of years ago.I lived with John after his marriage to Mary ended in divorce.They remained great friends until John died suddenly on May 18th 2000.John left his family with lots of lovely memories and is a great miss to all.Chaucer Ave was always a great topic of conversation to John as he loved his days there.Just in case people can`t remember all the Clarks....Archie and Nina and kids..Archie,John,Ken,Ron,Marion,Jean and Angela(the surprise baby !)Best wishes to everyone who remembers John.....Christine x
jimo
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by jimo »

Hi Christine, passed on your message to our Kathleen and she was thrilled to hear that you had been in contact, she thinks about you all the time and would love to hear from you!
Regards jim
jimlillie
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by jimlillie »

Hello "Chaucer" from Jim Lillie,
At this moment I am working on a ship off the coast of Brasil and one night found this site by pure chance.
I have lots of great memories of growing up in Chaucer Ave, we arrived when the houses had just been built and I was a small child around 55 years ago,the next part of the estate was not built then and there were farmers fields all around us, right over to the burn. Over the next 8 years or so I played in those fields building camps and bonfires with my friends Jimmy Gardner,Davie Collins, Micky Hasler and Geordie Spotiswood.
I remember our neighbours at the "top end" of chaucer, the Gardner,Collins,Clark,Strike,Spotiswood and Sigsworth families and better neighbours you could'nt have found anywhere, every backdoor was always open for a cup of tea and a chat and as kids we were in and out of every house.
Later came the Magrs,Cochrane,Curl,Hasler,Hills and Mackie families, all lovely people.

I will mention the site to our Denise and Kevin and I have no doubt that they will add their little bit.
Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Axeman »

Hi Jim and welcome to Sanddancers.

I lived in Marsden so didn't get over your way, but maybe a good idea for you to go onto Friends Reunited.

You can do a search on streets and some people add their name there for contact.

Just had a quick look and there is a Gladys Magrs which I think is one one the names you mentioned.

WWW.NEWHARTLEYSERVICES.CO.UK. SAVE SAVE SAVE. Swap to a cheaper, better service.
Play in an on-line lottery syndicate...WWW.BETLOTT.COM
Strike
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by Strike »

Hi Jim, nice to hear you are still alive and well and in work. Mind you, Brazil's a bit far from Shields. Like you I remember playing in the fields, and when they were about to demolish the farmhouse i recall falling from a roofbeam into a barn and getting knocked out. I blame that for being so daft later in life. We used to buy eggs from there, and milk, before the new houses came, and those deadly pylons at either end of the street. I can remember your dad whistling to let your mam know he was home from the pit. I saw Mickey Spottiswood at a funeral at the weekend, and John Sigsworth is still around, as is Les Winter. I can remember when Kevin was into the Monkees and tried to dress like them. With me it was the Beatles. Happy daze.
jimo
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by jimo »

Hi Jim, Norman, Jim Mouat here nice to see your still around. Next time your back in Shields get in touch and maybe we could sink a few beers, Im sure our Mick would like to meet up after all these years. Cheer's for now Jim.
jimlillie
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by jimlillie »

Hello Lads,
Nice to get a reply from you's, Jim I'm not too sure when I'll be home probably sometime at the end of the month and I'll keep in touch.I'm normally busier ay home than away as I bought a farm in East Boldon about 10 years ago and my youngest daughter has just started a riding school there and as usual I'm the labourer, and it's very busy.
Norman I rang our Kevin and told him you said he dressed like the Monkeys and he was shocked because he said he always dressed like that.......hee hee hee!!!!!!!!!!

Jim
Strike
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by Strike »

Hi Jim, I meant Monkees as in the 60's pop group! Nice to hear you are doing so well.
jimlillie
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by jimlillie »

Hello Norman pal,
Yes I knew what you meant, I had a chat with Kev and we had a good laugh about it. Anyway he mentioned that when you's used to play football on either your front lawn or ours, you were a cracking goalkeeper????????