WHATS WRONG WITH LAYGATE..........?

Leave your remarks about life in South Shields / South Tyneside

Moderator: andysfootball

LAYGATE--FLY
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

WHATS WRONG WITH LAYGATE..........?

Post by LAYGATE--FLY »

muhammed ali would`nt of come if it was`nt laygate.
we need another brunny, thats what the problem is. :roll:
GIVE-ME-BACK-MY-LUGGAGE.............
LAYGATE--FLY
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by LAYGATE--FLY »

marra, the plo is working very hard, together with gazza to badger local politcians. frederick street has suffered some of the worst cuts in development grants. gazza has proposed to approach mohammed ali and seek his assistance in highlighting the local plight.
secratary fly.
GIVE-ME-BACK-MY-LUGGAGE.............
german john
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

frederick street

Post by german john »

grew up in frederick street area.It was never anything to look at but grew up with a community spirit that does,nt seem to exist anywhere today.You had to treat adults with respect otherwise your dad would find out belt you across the lughole.Treatment that today would have the social services,civil rights and child abuse lobby,s queing at your door.Fact is it never harmed me or anyone else and is whats sadly missing these days.
GERMAN JOHN
Jim_in_France
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jim_in_France »

Hello John. How you doing? What part of Germany are you in and for how long?
"The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast."

"We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell."

Oscar Wilde
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Sorry to disagree German John but I think the benefits of a clip around the lughole are often exaggerated.
I grew up not far from the Frederick Street area and yes it was a great community. I respected adults but this was the product of a loving family with strong values. Neither myself or my kid brother were belted or hit and we both grew up to be decent people never in any trouble.
One of the worst villains I knew was regularly belted by his dad and it certainly didn't do him any good.
The people to blame for the decline of Frederick Street are the ones who moan about how it should be preserved then head off to the Metro Centre for their shopping.
german john
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by german john »

Hi
Was,nt advocating that kids should face any sort of phisical abuse.The point I,m trying to make is that the level of discipline that existed way back when is,nt there any more.Every shop window in Frederick street and everywhere in Shields is boarded up every night.This does,nt happen anywhere else in mainland Europe.Don,t know the solutions.Maybe there ar,nt any but parents have to bear the brunt of the responsibilty.Their talking about putting metal detectors on school gates to check for knives.How stupids that.What next
GERMAN JOHN
memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Post by memor »

Ah good belt round ear didn't do my kids any harm.

They now all have CAULIFLOWER EARS

and say WHAT when you ask them anything LOL
I always value Pilots wit and input
memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by memor »

edited
Last edited by memor on Sun May 21, 2006 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Point taken John.
The type of community we grew up in has gone never to return. There are many reasons. The close knit communities were broken up when the people were rehoused. More women found it necessary to work. We all started wanting more consumer goods. People retreated behind their garden fences and concentrated on their own problems. Marriage and relationship breakdowns became commonplace. Parents showered their children with possesions as a substitute for time and attention.
All this has contributed to the society we now live in. Maybe it is different in Germany.
gazza
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gazza »

thu decline in laygate and frederick street came about az a rezult of
thu councilz desire to demolish unsavoury localized estatez.....this of
course awarded people with brand new homez [council built].
i think thu vast amount ov thoze fortunate people rehouzed, were not
equipped with personal vehiclez and so, uzed thu facilitiez in their new locationz.........as a matter ov common sense, people will alwayz be drawn to thu eaziest route to having an eazy life...........
thu authauritie`z are thu real culpritz at hand here........their impulsive
destruction of public buildingz including public houzing revoltz many.
this together with thu un-coordinated future planz and lack ov investment
haz set alite thu fuze.............tik-tok..............
.......GET-ME-A-RUM-INSTEAD........
memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by memor »

Laygate was always a sh it hole. Thats where they put all the problem families.

Frederick Street was an awful place. You always felt that you should have a passport as you walked down the road.

Flatten it all and turn it into a car park.
CJ
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by CJ »

I've only lived here 5 mths, so can't tell a decline or much else, but I live 5 mins walk away from Frederick Street and shop there twice a week at least. From an outsider point of view it's character is somewhat striking. some of the shops are a real find bargain wise, even at normal Northern prices. There's a wonderfull jewellry,furniture,art shop called Harvey's Moon that's like an Aladin's cave of good quality treasure, Maxwells Timbers better quality and prices than B&Q, and made to order, 3 old school butchers with great quality meat who chop all the fat off before they weigh for the price, a key maker/cobbler/engraver-a real craftsman, a real wood handmade furniture shop, a picture framer who also sells a local painters wonderfull studies of NUFC or Sunderland players and did my team signed shirt very professionally for knock down price. A tile shop that stocks a huge range of tiles again cheaper than your B&Q's and Homebase. When the sun comes out, 3 old white codgers sit on one bench at the top of the street and chew the cud with 3 old asian codgers sitting on the other bench, and the place is jumping with mum's and kids,workmen buying stotties,OAP's, and most people who live round it I guess. Perhaps for a southerner like me it's diversity is reminiscent of home, so I really like it. It may be declined people but it ain't dead yet.