* * * THE CLASSIC CHOPPER MAKES A COMEBACK * * *

Leave your remarks about life in South Shields / South Tyneside

Moderator: andysfootball

hotrodngaz
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by hotrodngaz »

Taken from the Chopper Owners Club website.

Every generation has its iconic products and the Chopper was the essential bike of the 70s. When those red lined tyres rolled onto our streets, cycling was never going to be the same again. And for a long time there has been a void in the style bike market... until now that is. Because for a limited time only, the Chopper is back.

A milestone in influence and design, the iconic Raleigh Chopper re-launches in April 2004. The first 2004 bikes all have their own production line number. The Limited Edition Choppers will retail at £249.99, all others will retail at £199.99.

The bike’s original design by Alan Oakley, the then Chief Designer at Raleigh, remains largely unchanged on the new version. Available only in the original Infra Red, the materials in the bike’s production are taken from the original Chopper concept, even using the original tyre mould from the 70s.

Chopper junkies will instantly recognise the legendary 'ape-hanger' handlebars, elongated seat, back rest, chrome seat hoop and mud guards that were instrumental to the bikes radical design. Previously positioned on the cross bar of the bike, the gearshift has been moved to the handlebars to comply with modern safety standards.

Loz Cox, Chopper Product Manager at Raleigh says: "Change in the bike market and demand for retro products like the VW Beetle and Mini Cooper sparked the idea for the introduction of the new Chopper. The new Chopper has been restyled for the new century and a new generation of kids who are looking for a highly stylised bike unlike any other on the market."

"We have taken advantage of new materials, safety feature and production methods whilst retaining all the flair of the original look including chrome sissy bar and springs, arrow wedge frame and easy rider style handlebars. The biggest changes are the move to the lightweight alloy frame (the original was steel) and the position of the gear lever. The gears are still the Sturmey Archer 3 speed but now the shifter is on the handlebar and not on the top tube."

"It’s taken us nine months to redesign the new Chopper in Nottingham with the bike being manufactured in the Far East. Here at Raleigh, we are confident that it’s going to prove as popular today as it did back in the 70s."

Created by Raleigh, the original Chopper (or The Hot One as it is affectionately known) was launched in America in September 1968. The film ‘Easy Rider’ was released here in 1969; Raleigh saw the opportunity and released the Chopper to the discerning UK audience. The Chopper frenzy exploded taking the Hot One to cult status.

As important to cycling as George Best to football, no other bike has ever provoked so many memories, or had such a great influence over one generation as the Chopper, so if you didn’t get to experience it the first time round, now’s your chance.

Chopper (priced at £199.99) is available to pre-book at independent bike retailers and Halfords stores nation wide from March 2004
Gaz......
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

i tell you what i bet they sell loads even if its just for the dads to give to their sons just to re live their heydays
hotrodngaz
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Choppers

Post by hotrodngaz »

Yeah, I bet there'll be plenty sold Jimmy. My kids love em, we have 3 origonal 70's Raleigh Choppers between us. I got mine a while ago as you say to bring back memories. They are quite collectable and demand decent prices for decent bikes, but will these new ones bring the prices down or make them go up? I got mine cheap really. Two were bought for £100 each and one was given free. They are probably worth about £250 - £350 each now (not that I'm selling mind) Not bad for a bike that cost about £40 new 30 years ago.
Gaz......
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

i think that if the sales of the new bikes take off then people will want to collect the old one again and the pice could go up, you could keep an eye on ebay in the future for a guide
gazza
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gazza »

now..............a uzed tuh stik lolly stikz on me bak weel............
klak.....klak.......klak........
tarra.....................
.......GET-ME-A-RUM-INSTEAD........
hotrodngaz
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Choppers

Post by hotrodngaz »

LOL, I think we all did at one time Gazza
Gaz......
gazza
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gazza »

wat.................lolly stikz an`all.............
tarra.......
curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly »

Wor lass had an "unfortunate incident" on a chopper when she was a young teenager, always had my doubts since then! :)
hotrodngaz
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Choppers

Post by hotrodngaz »

Come on then Curly; tell all, I’m intrigued now! :5headache:
Gaz......
curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly »

She fell off and hurt werself astride that crossbar yuknaa, she's never properley understood the mechanics of a gear shift lever ever since!!
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

spodge was that on a cross bar or in a cross bar (youth club) wink wink
curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly »

I've never seen a bar that cross to be honest............ :twisted:
curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly »

Hey Gaz....................when I saw the headline to your post I was half expecting to see a picture of John Holmes, but no doubt some wit will tell us that Jimmy's avotar will have to do. :lol:
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

i wish
gazza
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gazza »

WOW.......................MUZT UV HURT PET....................EH..........