remember these sweets when you were a kid?

Local History for Tyne & Wear
padlock man
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by padlock man »

Anyone remember those horrible things called Parma Violets?
memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Post by memor »

They odd sweety but if you ate them with stick of Spanish Licorice........
it was heaven
I always value Pilots wit and input
star
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by star »

Parma Violets?! I love them! Actually... I've got a confession to make about Parma Violets... I bought a big bag of mixed sweets for the 'Sweetie Tin' in my classroom, (the children get a lucky dip as a very special reward - got to watch those teeth!) and I ... err ... took out all the Parma violets and have eaten them myself!!! :oops:

Does anyone remember 'Teacakes'? Not the 'Toasted Teacakes' made all circular out of cocnut, but the harder variety? I love them, but I've always been alone in this!!! :D
padlock man
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by padlock man »

Did you know that jelly babies were originally called victory babies, to celebrate the end of World war One?
memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by memor »

My Brother used to bite al their heads off and put them bag in the bag.

Very odd..my Brother.
star
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by star »

I had a friend that ate the heads first so that she couldn't hear them scream ... what lovely fiends I used to have! :5eek: (I love this little screaming face - he's sooo sweet!!)

Does ANYONE remember Teacakes of the untoasted variety??? I'm too young to be remembering them incorrectly! We used to visit Whitby alot when I was younger, and the sweet shop there used to sell them by the quarter and until three years ago they definately still sold them in the sweet shop in Lincoln too - it's just I only know me wot's eaten 'em! :roll:
memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by memor »

I remember teacakes.

They were brilliant.
star
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by star »

Memor ... I THANKYOU!!

They really were great weren't they?! Much better than the toasted variety I think!
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Teacakes - aren't they the round flat toffees with little bits of coconut stuck on them?

8)
memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by memor »

They were more than that.......they were heaven.
star
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by star »

YES!! :D

And the not so nice toasted ones were just coconut sorted squished up and, well, toasted!

Wow! I'm not going mad afterall!!

The toffe always seemed softer on the outside than the inside, with a sort of melt in the mouth taste ... :)
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

OK! youve sold me on them, I'll have a two point two four pounds (or a Kilo) of them so that I can give the wife one of them. :lol:

8)
star
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by star »

Hey I posted earlier this month don't you know!!! :wink:

I have a very hazy recollection of kipper flavour crisps ... or could be imagining it, I'm like that with food i'm afraid!

Got a bag of teackes on Saturday from a really sweet weet shop in Masham ... ooh the flavour ... =P~ it's been a long time since my last teacake!!!
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

I think you must have just looked at the first page of this topic Colombo, there are thee pages, so a lot of posts in between.

8)
Jerry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jerry »

Flavoured crisps are supposed to have been invented by James William Hoggett of Whickham. The Ravensworth Cinema in Gateshead was the first to sell crisps (by arrangement with Hoggett).

Jelly babies (a weird sort of sweet when you think about it) were invented by an itinerant Austrian sweet-maker working in Lancashire in 1864. They were known as 'unclaimed babies' at first, then 'bright babies' . They were a northern taste originally and only really took off nationally after WWII after they were plugged on the BBC Radio comedy show ITMA.

Bassett's baby, with the authentic belly-button, has a name - Reg, after Registered Design 885406.

My sister says she bites their heads off 'to put them out of their misery'. The heads must be universally attractive because Roy Fuller.professor of poetry at Oxford wrote:

Some eat the jelly baby whole but most
Dismember it at leisure
For headless, there's no doubt it gives
A reasonable measure
Of unexampled pleasure

Jerry
http://www.myersnorth.co.uk

Either everybody matters or nobody matters
star
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by star »

I like the proff's style! Nice bit of poetry .. unless you're a jelly baby of course!!! :lol: :lol:
star
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by star »

I like the proff's style! Nice bit of poetry .. unless you're a jelly baby of course!!! :lol: :lol:
linda
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by linda »

hi cisco I lived at Horsley hil do you remember the toffee cake woman who lived on the way to Redwell school they used to cost 1 penny or tuppence depeding on the size. It was a treat to get a penny for school for one
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

Hi Linda, I don't remember the toffee cake woman, I belonged Marsden so I probably would not have passed her.

I did have one or two relations who lived on the Hill.

Cisco