Have you ever Wondered??????????

Leave your remarks about life in South Shields / South Tyneside

Moderator: andysfootball

Bushmermaid
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Bushmermaid »

Just thought of a funny real life story about a poo.
My nephew who lives 1.25 hours from his nearest town.......(out in the middle of nowhere)......had to be told on his first day of school that it was NOT acceptable to do a "paddock poo" on the football oval at lunch time. :shock:
He found himself needing to go and there wasn't a toilet in close proximity so he did what he would do when out in the paddock with his father.......drop it wherever you can.
This kid is now 12 and has learn't the finer skills required when attending school but we still can't help giving him heaps over it.
brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c »

This topic is going down the pan :lol: :lol:

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!
Elaine H
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Elaine H »

With regards to the colours we see, based on this explanation, my guess would be that we all see colours somewhat differently.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/ ... olumn9.htm
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri »

Toilet is the official name here. Restrooms are what you get at service stations. Though logically a rest room ought to be a bedroom, when you think about it. :lol:
Loo is the usual 'polite' slang term.

But ohh what a lightbulb moment. Here we are, all having had the same deep thoughts at some time or another "I wonder if we all see the same colours when we say a colour name. I wonder if his yellow is my green etc"

I think the answer is yes, we do, unless we have some underlying problem such as colour blindness. We are (sadly) not really unique physically. Oh we all look a bit different but basically we have all the same parts (ok-well almost) and they all work in much the same way. We all have hearts that beat and ears that hear etc
Our eyes are physically similar so I bet we see the same colours, or close to it. The article described colour perception by the brain and the effects of colour constancy, but the important thing to note is that it affects everyone.
We live in an orderly universe. Well, I suspect so :wink:
little_tata
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by little_tata »

I've always thought that we do see different variants of the same colour, which is why there are so many different shades.

However, the names we give to colours (red,blue,green,ect) are taught to us.

In nursery and pre-school we are taught the basic colours in the spectrum.

We are taught that a fire engine is Red, the sun is yellow, the grass is green and the sky is blue.

However: IF a child was taught that the sun is green, and they grew into adulthood thinking that, would they contradict someone when they said the GRASS is green??????

(i think i've explaned this ok!)

Here's a pondered:

Everything has a beginning and an end.

Where does the universe end?
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri »

If someone was told the sun was green, then heard a person call grass green, maybe they would not contradict it. Because the sun isn't really a yellow ball, like kids usually draw. It doesn't seem to have any exact colour. Which I guess is how we have gotten away with showing it as yellow and calling it yellow.
But if someone called the grass green then pointed to a fire engine (a red one) and called it green, I think people would notice the difference.
It seems to me that it is where things are uncertain and then given a value, that people can accept what might be an error.

And does everything have a beginning and an end? I am not sure we can take that as a given.
Elaine H
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Elaine H »

Yes, I'll second that train of thought.
When I was just under 5 years old and went to school for the very first time, they tried to drill into me that the hand that I write with is my right hand, and the one I have left, is my left hand. Unfortunately for them, I happen to be left-handed (which was considered a cardinal sin back in those days, so they kept trying to force me to switch hands - unsuccessfully I might add). I was pretty confused for a while.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain
andysfootball

Post by andysfootball »

it's

shizenhoozen in german
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON
Bushmermaid
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Bushmermaid »

LOL @ Andy
You have been listening too much to that fisherman that commentates the AFL
brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c »

At the end of the universe there must be something even if there is nothing

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!
Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Axeman »

I've always wondered about the universe end. And this is similar to the 'taught in school' conversation.

We all get taught and learn that everything around us has a limit.

Houses, lamp posts, trees, metal, and especially us..ourselves, we are all waiting for the eventual end.

Thats what expected to happen to everything and so becomes normal.

But I say, what makes you think that the universe does end, why can't it be infinate. It may just go on and on and on with no end.

Yeah everything around us on this planet as an end or at least changes into something else. But that is due to the enviroment/atmosphere we live in.

Up there is different.
WWW.NEWHARTLEYSERVICES.CO.UK. SAVE SAVE SAVE. Swap to a cheaper, better service.
Play in an on-line lottery syndicate...WWW.BETLOTT.COM
Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Axeman »

Elaine H wrote:Yes, I'll second that train of thought.
When I was just under 5 years old and went to school for the very first time, they tried to drill into me that the hand that I write with is my right hand, and the one I have left, is my left hand. Unfortunately for them, I happen to be left-handed (which was considered a cardinal sin back in those days, so they kept trying to force me to switch hands - unsuccessfully I might add). I was pretty confused for a while.
I had an friend who had the same problem. Trouble is he's still confused, especially when he couldn't decide which golf clubs to play with. Left or right handed.

Ended up buying two sets of clubs.

Constantly cursing the teachers for ruining his golf game.
WWW.NEWHARTLEYSERVICES.CO.UK. SAVE SAVE SAVE. Swap to a cheaper, better service.
Play in an on-line lottery syndicate...WWW.BETLOTT.COM