What was The Winskills called?

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Scribbler
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

What was The Winskills called?

Post by Scribbler »

I'm an ex-pat Sandancer currently back here for Xmas. Driving past along Boldon Lane I saw the Winskills pub. Wasn't it called something else? Who can help settle this family argument?
Tony D (formerly St Peter & Paul School)
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: What was The Winskills called?

Post by Mr Smith »

Scribbler wrote:I'm an ex-pat Sandancer currently back here for Xmas. Driving past along Boldon Lane I saw the Winskills pub. Wasn't it called something else? Who can help settle this family argument?
Tony D (formerly St Peter & Paul School)
It was called the Victoria Hotel.

Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.
passtheball
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by passtheball »

It would be most interesting to be please informed who 'Mr Winskell' was and the period that he was the manager of the pub, he must have been a very popular chap for his name to stick for so many years as an alternative identify for this one time popular venue. I knew it very well indeed pre the 1969 closure of Harton Colliery, being a member of the colliery band for many years and it being the band pub. The large room upstairs incidentaly served another use besides that of a function room venue, the band during WW11 was most successfully auditioned in it by the BBC for radio broadcasts as I was so informed many years ago. It was thereafter for any who may be so interested one of the most prolific broadcasting bands of the war years, the erstwhile famous Harton Colliery Band of one time national repute and its association with 'Winskill's'......
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

John George Winskell was manager of the Victoria Hotel before and during WWI. Born 1877 and he died in 1930
at the age of 53.
passtheball
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by passtheball »

Thanks Mr Smith, and his name is yet so familiar nearly a century after his death, wonder if he died 'in harness' being then only 53 ?
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

He was also Mayor 1924-25
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

Nothing more annoying than someone who becomes a member of the site and makes a post asking
for information. They then return 17 minutes later expecting a reply, and a reply not being there
at the time they don't ever bother to come back again to check later. Makes one feel used :roll:
E.winskell
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by E.winskell »

Cheers! I was snooping for a reason why the pub had my surname on it beyond vague family stories. John George was my great great grandfather but I never managed to find out too much about him before my grandad passed a few years back.

Slim chance of you seeing this since the post is nearly 10 years old but thank you all the same it’s always good to learn about the people you come from!!

🩷