Taylor Street 1920 to 1940

Local History for Tyne & Wear
GeordieRoots
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Taylor Street 1920 to 1940

Post by GeordieRoots »

My elderly mother lived at, or near 83 Taylor Street between 1922 and 1940. I am trying to find any pictures of Taylor Street over the years so that I can show them to her. She would love to see any old pictures or even Taylor Street as it is now.

Does anyone have any photos that they can email me or send me links to or put me in contact with someone in Taylor Street today, who could take some pictures? She hasn't been back to Taylor Street since leaving at the start of WW2 and is now too frail and housebound to be able to see her birthplace one last time.

If anyone wants any info on life in Taylor Street from that period, then I may be able to provide some.

Thank you.
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Taylor Street 1920 to 1940

Post by jimmywizz »

there is one photo on these boards but its of poor quality
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22657
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Most of Taylor Street was demolished in the clearance programme of the late sixties/early seventies. There would not be anything left to see or photograph. The only bit remaining is the South Taylor street block off what was Barnes Road - think it's called Captains Walk now. This is the part shown in the photo Jummy gives the link to. Your mother would have lived down the other end.
Mr Smith lived near Taylor Street in Havelock Street so he might have some photos.
My aunt lived at number 18 which was near the Garden Gate pub and Hanratty's scrap yard.
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

I knew someone who lived in the very low numbers of Taylor
Street, my fathers best friend lodged with the family. I think
the family were called Alexander, they lived only a few doors
down from Havelock Street, the rear of the house faced the
Garden Gate pub. I have no photos of Taylor Street.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.
GeordieRoots
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by GeordieRoots »

Thanks for your inputs. Shame it's all gone, and no photos, but I guess that's progress - it was nearly 100 years ago.
The census info that I've seen shows that they lived at #83. It also shows who the neighbours were and various occupations.
All in all quite fascinating.
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

its a small world, i just noticed today that i pass down that street on my way to work, there is still a handfull of the old houses left, which number did you live at ?
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

oops just re-read your 1st post and i see your house number, i will see if its still standing
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

jimmywizz wrote:oops just re-read your 1st post and i see your house number, i will see if its still standing
It's also in the post above the one you just made. :D

Get a grip man! :lol:
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

if you can get her to a pc you can walk her up the street, there is only a small part of it left now http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&saf ... .46,,0,3.8
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

here is a view looking up the road, thats taylor street on the right and on the left where the road junction is, the eldon pub used to stand, you mother will find it hard to get the location right with all these changes
GeordieRoots
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by GeordieRoots »

WoW jimmywizz , that's fantastic and thank you very much for taking the time to do that. We really appreciate it a lot. She will be made up.

Thanks.
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

no problem, here is the 2nd photo of the street i took, i tried to post it at work today but the boards have been down for a bit, this is looking down taylor street toward tyne dock, the old newcastle to shields railway line ran at the bottom of the street but its now just a grassy bank, the house numbers on the right are all in the 200's the houses on the left are all in the 300's so i guess your mothers house would have run in the other direction and is now buried under the new housing estate

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

jimmywizz wrote: i guess your mothers house would have run in the other direction and is now buried under the new housing estate
It would have been in the stretch from Walpole Street towards
Laygate Lane, behind where the Punjab Kitchen and Anglo Frozen
Food Companies are. Just been looking at the area on Google Earth,
there's nothing left recognizable at that end of what was Taylor St.
homesick
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by homesick »

I lived at no.145 which was right next to Corbridge St, so no. 83 was near to Walpole St and opposite Lambert's general dealers.My mate Stevie Bell lived at no.81 during the 60's
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

its a small world
GeordieRoots
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by GeordieRoots »

Thanks for all this helpful info. I am collecting together the few pics. you have found / suggested / taken.
I hope to record a few memories from that period which I will post here... maybe someone else will be interested or spot a name that they remember.

The family tree suggests that Watsons and Ramseys were living upstairs at #83 over the years. Also, there appears to be a link with Tom Sykes. Rumour has it that he was Mayor of South Shields sometime between 1920 and 1940... but I haven't been able to verify that.

Any other recollections appreciated,

Thanks again everyone.
GeordieRoots
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by GeordieRoots »

Here’s some recollections of 83, Taylor Street from the 1920s…

83 Taylor St. was an upstairs dwelling. It had a coal fire in the kitchen which was used for cooking and baking. The kitchen was also used at bath-time… using a tub in front of the fire. There was a back yard with a toilet, wash-house and coal-house and then there was a back lane.

The downstairs dwelling was occupied by Barbara Heslop
Neighbours called Horsburgh (?)

There were a couple of corner shops…
Redpath
Lamberts

School was in Gilbert Street and the teacher was Mrs.Ward
Another school was in Deans Road and the teacher was Miss.Marshall
These were both girls schools.

Church was at Laygate Lane Baptist Church
Most shopping was done in Fredrick St. at the CoOp
Transport was by tramcars and these were later replaced by trolley buses.

Anyone share any of these memories ?
jlb
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by jlb »

My family lived at 61 Taylor Street from the early 1900’s until the property was demolished in 1960. I have the census record for 1911 showing my grandparents, Joseph and Mary Bedlington, and their children, including my mother aged 7, living at the address. As a child I lived there from 1950 until just before its demolition. Redpath’s shop, mentioned by ‘GeordieRoots’, was only a few doors away from our front door. I was really hoping to find some photographs of the street as I remember it but have so far been disappointed. I do have a rather depressing photograph of the property as it was being demolished, but it’s not how I want to remember it.
jlb
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

the school you mention was dean road school http://www.myhometown-schools.co.uk/sch ... olid=50057 it was burnt down as now has buildings on its grounds
jlb
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by jlb »

Jimmywizz - just a small correction - the school photograph is of a class at Barnes Road Junior School, with Mr Galley the teacher standing to the left. I attended the school when I lived at Taylor Street and have my class photo, also with Mr Galley (c1960).
jlb