Whaling

Local History for Tyne & Wear
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Whaling

Post by martymont »

Just thought I would mention whaling, which South Shields was an integral part, my dad was on the Ventutrer and they did not like the Harvester crew they tied up at Brighams or Middle Docks for repair before in the late 50s and early 60s they were some of the largest vessels in the river at that time, they could haul a whale up at a rate of 1 an hour and completely slaughter it, I used to wait at the quayside for his return after being away for 1 year plus, they got their supplies in Montevideo, then competed against other vessels in the run, when I tell my grand kids what my father did they reel back in horror you kiled whales, years ago the museum in Ocean Road were holding an exhibition of whaling, we asked if they would like some photos turned to nasty for sensitive persons, but they used all the whale, thats the differnce between then and now.
trebor
Big Gob
Big Gob

Re: Whaling

Post by trebor »

My uncle Joe Davison from Whitleas first trip to sea was on a whaler.

His first trip away from his family as a kid was for 18 months. Can you imagine that?

Probably never been further than cleadon hills before then going away for 18 months on his own, dont suppose he was much older than 16 at the time.

Amazing.
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

18 months was a regular thing up to the 1950s, it would have been longer but most ships came home to dry dock every 18 months, my first trip was just over 12 months September 1968 to September 1969 it was on three different ships but the time between each was just travelling from Newport to Rotterdam and Isle of Grain to Edinburgh.
I voted leave

Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Did your uncle Joe Davison live at Tyne Dock ( South Eldon Street) before he moved to Whiteleas. If it is the same one with a brother George and a sister I think called Sylvia I knew the family well.
trebor
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by trebor »

WOW Thats right.

They lived at Tyne Dock with my dads parents and there mother. Slyvia was my aunty.

Joes dad was killed at sea in the war and they all lived together then moved next door to each other at whitleas.
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

My dad was on the Venturer we lived in Laygate then moved to Whiteleas in 1959 Gainsborough is were we lived after the whaling finished he worked on the rigs was on the Ocean Prince when it sank in 68
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

trebor I used to live further along South Eldon Street and knew Joe and George well. Also Bob McDonnell who was related to them. We all used to go to St Mary's church.Small world eh.