1940s cross family scrap yard

Local History for Tyne & Wear
gcross
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

1940s cross family scrap yard

Post by gcross »

Hi
I am tring to find out about my grandfather,his name was Thomas James Cross and he lived at 56 Lawe rd in the 1940s and I can see from google maps that there are some terraced houses on the main sea front rd. His local was/is still there, "The look out" and he ran a scrap yard that was over the rd from St Stephens Gardens on Wapping St. It looks like a car park now.
Now I understand my grandfather didnt own the scrap yard but he was left to run it in his own way, I have heard lots of stuff came through the yard from the ships. I think my grandfather was a bit on the edge when it comes to the law....

If anyone knows anything then it would be great to hear

Regards

G Cross
gcross
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Re: 1940s cross family scrap yard

Post by gcross »

Well, me and the family visited south shields on a foggy day last week... Visited the Roman fort, my dad says he played on that area as a kid before the main dig happened. He said he was at the junior school which looked like its no longer there, just the infants school is still there.
Visited my grandads/dads old house on Lawe rd, a lot bigger than I thought and not bad for a guy who worked in a scrap yard. Re the scrap yard, its now the Marine Saftey / training centre. It was nice to walk around where my grandad worked etc.
Anyway if anyone has any memories of the scrap yard or anyone even remembers my grandad it would be great to hear about it. He was know as Tommy Cross..ran the scrap yard in the 40s 50s.
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

Hi gcross :hello:
try posting this in the -
North East Lost Friends & Relatives Board
you might have more luck .. good luck in your search :wink:
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

gcross it might be helpful if you contact our local paper the Shields Gazette. There is a woman called Janis Blower who writes a sort of All Our Yesterdays column about Shields. She was born in the Lawe Top area and it often features in her articles Her readers tend to come up with the good and photographs if she does a feature on you.