Abortion: For? Or Against?

Leave your remarks about life in South Shields / South Tyneside

Moderator: andysfootball

DangerXpac
Head Doer
Head Doer

Abortion: For? Or Against?

Post by DangerXpac »

Abortion of birth is a big topic of debate in the US, is abortion legal in Britain? if so is it acceptable over there is it a large debate? What are your points of veiw on the topic.
Infectedmushroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Infectedmushroom »

Its legal.

Im pro.
Today, I changed my signature.
baldy.smith

Abortion

Post by baldy.smith »

Abortion is legal here in the UK. From what I have seen on the news the situation is pretty much the same here as over there. There is a strong anti-abortion lobby and with a General election coming up it is being used as a political football. On a personal level I feel it is morally wrong but on the otherhand there are strong cases for it. I object to it very strongly when an abortion happens purely because the pregnancy was unwanted. In this day and age with all of the contraception avaiable it should not happen but alas it does. I suppose what I am trying to say is that in exceptional circumstances I would support it; but generally NO!
memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Post by memor »

Baldy I agree with everything you say.

There are lots of contraceptives available

I don't believe Abortion should be one of them.
I always value Pilots wit and input
Alice
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Alice »

I agree with you Baldy, unless it is a medical problem for the woman or the baby is so much deformed will have no quality of life then im for it. But as you say there is so many contraceptives available now it should not happen, if they are old enough to have s*x they should also take the responsibility for their actions. In my personal opinion the goverement should not help them by giving them houses and money so they can sit around all day and think that we owe them something.
brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c »

Here Here Alice I quite agree with you but unfortunatly the government are set on paying girls loads of money to have kids and then give them housing that the honest taxpayer has to subsidise :x :x :x

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!
danecook
Big Gob
Big Gob

Abortion

Post by danecook »

I agree with you Baldy. I work in a college and the number of times I have heard young girls say, "I'm going to get pregnant so as to get a house and leave home". Some may be in jest, but not all.

However, I am Pro simply because there are many reasons for it to be legal.

P.S How many postings do you need to get of Geet Quiet?
memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Post by memor »

I agree it is and should be legal because the alternative is back to

"Backstreet Abortionists."

I just wish more emphasis is made to educate everyone of Contraception

and not use Abortion as an alternative
I always value Pilots wit and input
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri »

I am not sure whether the question should be "Should it be legal?' because in certain circumstances it probably needs to be. Maybe the question could be re worded as-in what circumstances and to what stage of pregnancy should it be legal?
For instance, it is perfectly legal here and in fact last year there were a few cases that hit the news. One was reported by a nurse, who was distressed when an aborted foetus was palced in a kidney dish and allowed to d*e. It was a little girl and she cried for 45 minutes before dying. She was about 6 months gestation I think. Had she been born to a mother who wanted her, she would of course have been in NICU.
And THAT is the aspect that stinks. It should not depend on how much your parents/parent wants you, whether you live or d*e. There was nothing wrong medically etc with the foetus.
There was also a case of a woman who aborted at 7 months because she decided a baby would interrupt her career.

You can understand some abortions and the reasons for them, espcially when there are serious health issues, and let's face it, contraception does not work all the time. But there needs to eb a limit on when and for what reasons women can expect an abortion. I don't think society owes a woman who is 6-9 months pregnant an abortion just because she wants one.
DangerXpac
Head Doer
Head Doer

Post by DangerXpac »

is it actually legal to abort 6-9 months? My son was born at 7 1/2 months and is very healthy now. Over here i believe an abortion is only legal up 4 months into a pregnancy. I agree with the general concensus though that abortion should be legal in certain circumstance but abortion should not be viewed as a form of contraception.
brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c »

If you don't want the child why wait 6 months why not as soon as possible or even better don't get pregnant in the first place.

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!
GeoNeil
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by GeoNeil »

I'm also with the contraception over abortion argument. The problem is when people think of contraception they may think of the pill, but more often that not they're thinking of condoms, which are either "too much of a hassle", "get in the way of the experience" (Guilty :oops: ) or "not really needed with my long term significant other" as these are seen as a prevention to STDs rather than pregnancy.

Over here pregnancy is legal up to 24 weeks, which is about 5 and a half months. The anti-abortion lobby are trying to get it lowered to 20 weeks, the Tories are mooting this and the Catholic Church have steamed in "Oh yeah, we're not saying vbote Tory, because that's wrong for us to do and that, but when youdo vote, vote for someone who wants to restrict abortion, because it's worng and ungodly... you know like the T... sorry, sorry, pretend you never heard that... :oops: "
baldy.smith

Abortion

Post by baldy.smith »

This is well worth reading regarding abortions in the UK and the existing rules etc.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4350259.stm
curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly »

I'm for tighter controls on abortion, 20 weeks, and there needs to be a medical danger to the mother or the foetus, also a psychological danger may be considered, especially if the mother is a rape victim.

I am anti "abortion on demand" and agree with previous comments about greater emphasis on contraception, education, and acceptance of personal responsibilities.
laura
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by laura »

im for abortion.even with condom and the pill used u can still becum pregnant.and unfortunaly there are very naive people in the world that lietn to the myths of s*x,and fall pregnant.a womans body,a womans right id say.but then,what about the father..
Sandy
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Sandy »

I think terminations for serious medical reasons for the mother, or extreme poor quality of life for the baby, should be available. But NOT for unwanted pregnancies. As has been said before, we supposedly have contraception for that.

With regard to the purely unwanted pregnancy, when I was very young, in the 60's and 70's, 'abortions as contraception' were near impossible to obtain, which was no bad thing. The mum-to-be had to go through with the pregnancy, occasionally with the baby being accepted as another family member, but usually it was adoption at the end. Either way, this meant that the little human being in question was not just killed off for convenience and its life was protected. These babies can't protect themselves so someone must do it. You or I could have been any one of them.

I wonder if this could still work today. Even with IVF, there are still a lot of infertile couples around, desperate to adopt and give a baby a happy and loving life. And, after some 'inconvenience' (?), the biological mum could pursue the life, or career, she wants......... IF that were finally the case!!

Life is precious and we all fight for it. The same should be said for the unborn child.
Sandy
Elaine H
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Elaine H »

On the whole, I am pro-abortion. Abortion is a personal personal choice and a woman should have the right to choose what happens to her body, a decision which will affect the rest of her life, no matter what she chooses. She will have to live with her decision later. I do, however, believe that any termination should be restricted to the first 3 months of pregnancy, unless medically warranted at a later stage. Abortion most certainly should no longer be an option, once the foetus is viable, which is at 28 weeks, I believe, except in the case of absolute medical necessity.
Let's face it, if a woman wants an abortion, she is going to get one, one way or another, whether legally or illegally. So let's keep it legal and thus keep it safe!
I also look at it from this point of view. What kind of a life is an unwanted and hence unloved child going to have? Unfortunately, not all unwanted children will be adopted or will even be put up for adoption.
I agree too, however, that in this day and age, there shouldn't be a huge need for abortion, considering the contraception available today, not to mention the "morning-after" pill. However, accidents do happen regardless of contraception.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain
Alice
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Alice »

This day and age there is no need for accidents, if you are ill when you are on the pill you should know it is not 100% so use a condom. The amount of young single mothers who drop their kids off at the school i work in is unreal they are hardly out of nappies themselves. No wonder the kids are so naughty now they have not got a good role model, im not condemning them all but there is a lot of them that could not give a s**t.
Sandy
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Sandy »

Do you know? I think it comes down to when you believe human life begins.

1) Conception
2) 6 - 8 weeks
3) 12 weeks
4) 16 weeks
5) 24 weeks
6) 28 weeks

Looking at the above, just when would you be happy to abort?

The idea of a woman's right to deal with their own bodies and get rid of the foetus........yes, that's true, but they are still terminating the life of another human being within them, whatever its gestation.

I respect, very much, others views on this but, for me personally, human life begins at conception.
Sandy
laura
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by laura »

do u luk at a bulb that ur gunna put into ur garden in spring and think what a beautiful rose.or do u think,hmm,a bulb...

i think that a foetus shud b able to b aborted in any of the above...not so much after 28weeks as it is essentially,u live human...and therefore shud have its own rights.

but as me mum used to say to me 'i brought u into this world,i can take u outta it' dont u think that until the baby actually leaves the womb it is still part of the mohter,and therefore shud b completely up to the mother what to do wi it??