boys brigade 4th thorneholme church

Local History for Tyne & Wear
plewsy
Big Gob
Big Gob

boys brigade 4th thorneholme church

Post by plewsy »

im looking for any photos of the 4th boys brigade from south shields ,they were at thorneholme church
my dad was in there from about 1948 to 1955 and myself and brother were there late 70s till early 80s
any help would be fantastic
thanks
plewsy
gag
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: boys brigade 4th thorneholme church

Post by gag »

My Uncle was in the 4th round about 1956, I will ask if He has any pics Plewsy.

cheers.

gag.
You can take the lad out of Shields, but you cannot take Shields out of the lad !!!!!!!!!!!
plewsy
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by plewsy »

that would be fantastic ,thankyou
heaintheavy
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob

Post by heaintheavy »

I was in the 4th but it was in the late sixties to mid seventies so I would have missed both you and your dad Plewsy.

During my time most of the junior section went to Harton Juniors with a smattering of Horsley Hill kids. In the senior section the majority attended Redwell with some coming from the Boy's Grammar School (it was a fairly local school).

I really enjoyed my time at Thornholme Methodist Church. The summer camps that were open to the senior boys gave kids like me the only chance to enjoy a holiday. If I remember rightly we went to Talkin Tarn (near Brampton) one year and then to Kelso the next (71, 72?).

One regret was that I never said thank you to the people who ran it. They gave their own time (and own holidays up) for us boys.
trebor
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by trebor »

Pardon my ignorance but were was Thorneholme church?

The boys brigade is still going strong in the town and there are still a number of people who still give there time freely.
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Think it was/or still is next to Thorneholme school on Stewart Crescent.I think the Boys Brigade were linked to the free churches like the methodists and Baptists. The Church of England youth clubs usually had cubs and scouts, I was a member of St Hildas cubs in the mid 50s.
heaintheavy
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob

Post by heaintheavy »

trebor wrote:Pardon my ignorance but were was Thorneholme church?

The boys brigade is still going strong in the town and there are still a number of people who still give there time freely.
Thornholme Methodist Church was demolished in circa 1980. It faced Thornholme Avenue on wasteland opposite Steward Crescent. Today there is a block of two private houses on the site. The church was not of a traditional design and it pre dated its near neighbour the Cleadon Club. In it's early days it also shared the site with The Jolly Steward pub and the clinic.
In the mid to late sixties it was joined by new build council houses and flats.
I do believe it was the only church of any denomination that could be classed as belonging to the post war concept of the Marsden Housing Estate. Any thoughts?
plewsy
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by plewsy »

i have just found out that a relative of mine has photos of the church inside .
ill write to him and see if he will copy them to send to me ,ill post them on here when they do
p.s thorneholme church faced tunstall avenue
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

heaintheavy wrote:
trebor wrote:Pardon my ignorance but were was Thorneholme church?

Thornholme Methodist Church was demolished in circa 1980. It faced Thornholme Avenue on wasteland opposite Steward Crescent. Today there is a block of two private houses on the site. The church was not of a traditional design and it pre dated its near neighbour the Cleadon Club. In it's early days it also shared the site with The Jolly Steward pub and the clinic.
In the mid to late sixties it was joined by new build council houses and flats.
I do believe it was the only church of any denomination that could be classed as belonging to the post war concept of the Marsden Housing Estate. Any thoughts?

True, cannot think of any other church at Marsden, the nearest Church of England was at St Marks in old Quarry Lane where I was married in 1973,before that was built the parish church was St Peters across the road from the old Ship pub.There is a free chuch on Prince Edward Road St Margarets on the corner of Centenary Avenue, further up Centenery near Hylton Avenue there was St Lawrence church.
windmillbill
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by windmillbill »

I was in the 7Th. B.B. which was in the Baptist Tabernacle at laygate and later went to the new Baptist Tabernacle in Horsley Vale , that was in the late 1950s, we became the 8th.B.B. in the new church, there was a Captain Rigby, I remember a Mr. Smith and his sons, and Eric.
gag
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gag »

I was in the 11th Company, Harton Methodist Church in Sunderland Road, Our Skipper was Mr. Green. Had some great times with the BB.

CHEERS.

GAG.
You can take the lad out of Shields, but you cannot take Shields out of the lad !!!!!!!!!!!
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

I went to St Aidens cubs I cant remember the name of the scout group, the church was off Stanhope Road, I only lasted a few weeks because once they found I wasn't going to attend church parade they asked me to leave.
I voted leave

Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

St Aidans was on the Lawe Top. The church off Stanhope Road was St Oswins.
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

Yes I went to St Aidens on the lawe for cubs then the one off Stanhope Rd for scouts.
I voted leave