Post by jimmywizz »

there are some great old bus photos on here
http://www.nebpgod.fpic.co.uk/
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: old bus photos

Post by martymont »

Jimmywhizz just saw all of the Corporation buses outside places I used to go as a kid fantastic memories on the Whiteleas bus we used to go upstairs and near bonfire night used to throw bangers out the window :lol: :lol:
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

Have been through all the photos and basically if you look at each one it shows the history and development of Shields shops, houses etc. that have been demolished or went out of business fascinating stuff shops like FLEETS furnishings, Fine Fare etc.
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

"throw bangers out the window " shields first hooligan :lol: :lol:
Rocker
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Rocker »

Great pics so many memories, you can see Shields changing in the backgrounds.
Particular interest to me is the no 42 Simonside standing in the market, also bus going up Wenlock Road and Newcastle Road with the Football Stand visible from Sima Hall, also Ferrograph factory where now car garage is.
Excellent site
Larna
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by Larna »

Those old bus photos brought back memories. I have not lived in South Shields for many years, but visit occasionally. I have mentioned before at how surprised I am at the lack of pride & dignity people have these days when you walk around the town centre. The people in these old photographs are all tidily dressed. That was when there was self respect as well as respect for others, and caring about things like not going to town dressed in any old thing, or eating & drinking whilst walking along the street. I am appalled at the examples that a lot of parents set their children, and the behaviour of children & adults alike as you walk around. It is refreshing to see these reminders that it wasn't always like this.
sandysand
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob

Post by sandysand »

Larna wrote:Those old bus photos brought back memories. I have not lived in South Shields for many years, but visit occasionally. I have mentioned before at how surprised I am at the lack of pride & dignity people have these days when you walk around the town centre. The people in these old photographs are all tidily dressed. That was when there was self respect as well as respect for others, and caring about things like not going to town dressed in any old thing, or eating & drinking whilst walking along the street. I am appalled at the examples that a lot of parents set their children, and the behaviour of children & adults alike as you walk around. It is refreshing to see these reminders that it wasn't always like this.
Totally agree with you Larna, this town is a mess.
I think eating on the streets should be banned. Especially with all the seagull incidents lately (snatching sandwiches from people eating).
My absoloute hate is to see a child sitting in it's buggy eating a saveloy or sausage roll at 10.00 in the morn.