Who filled you with fear at school

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Deka
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Who filled you with fear at school

Post by Deka »

Bandana Dave wrote:Hiya Barney, " Bad Bob Steadman" everyone knew him :lol: The Bus drivers used to call him "Cod Eyes" he was alright if ya knew him but still a bit of a headbanger he done some time in Rampton :lol: Deka might know what happened to him ! i used to live in Romney Ave, remember "Bettys" in Nevinson Ave, we used to nick loads of stuff from her shop when wew decided to camp out on "Spook" :lol:

Remember Pauline Pape, Maureen Purvis (Andy Roaches lass) Diane Sword, Sandra Bartlett, Janice Carr, (Jeff Eliots Lass) and a lass from the nook caled "Pasha" (she was tasty) and "Shep" (Ant Shepherd) Davy Wood, Fat Woody (Fletcher Z Christian now) he plays in a Pink Floyd band called Shine on, There Brilliant, Steady, Bri King, i could go on for ever :lol: A good squad of people at that time, we had some right laughs :lol:
Bob Steadman moved to Morpeth quite a few years ago,i used to live next door to him,his parents were really nice people,and really had to be admired for the way they tried to cope with Bob,they died about 5 years ago within months of each other having moved to Winship Close,i could tell hundreds of stories about him which i will in another post.Dave can you remember Susan Jenkins,Joan Burt,and Karen Haw.I sit near to Bri King at the Stadium of Light.
Look to the future
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

who could forget joan burt , :D
champion.
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by champion. »

anna wrote:who could forget joan burt , :D
joan burt, i'd forgot about her :lol: :lol: :wink:
My mate reckons he's going to a convention for retired shoe repairers today.
Load of old cobblers if you ask me.
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

All these names could go on one of the easiest shops to nick from was moores next to keys biscuits used to be in tins reason no such thing as security shelves stacked high when they built the new houses houses opposite mine there was a watchie who was fast as owt when he chased you.used to have huge bontys (not allowed now) proper fireworks making banger guns happy days used to nick from turner ave. they did the same
nesr012

Post by nesr012 »

I have been trying for days to remember this lads name and its just popped into the one brain cell functioning tonight -

Can anyone remember Anthony Harper, he had a false arm which he would lift with his good arm and let the false one crash down on your head!
It was quite a weight and made you see stars :x
I think he was from the Hill area somewhere and a definately lacked a filling in his sandwich.
Barney
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Barney »

nesr012 wrote:I have been trying for days to remember this lads name and its just popped into the one brain cell functioning tonight -

Can anyone remember Anthony Harper, he had a false arm which he would lift with his good arm and let the false one crash down on your head!
It was quite a weight and made you see stars :x
I think he was from the Hill area somewhere and a definately lacked a filling in his sandwich.
I remember Anthony Harper well.
He was lethal with that arm - used to swing it like a club!! He was a big lad, too.
He was in the same year and class as me and Eddie Brennan when I was at Cuthbert's. We used to nick his arm when he was in the showers, for a lark. He used to go apeshit!! :lol: :lol:
I remember he had the largest shlong I'd ever seen, too, and one time he got it caught on a splinter or nail on the bench in the changing rooms!!
Man - we didn't know whether to laugh or cry!! It was soooo funny, but obviously very painful for him, and the rest of us were glad it wasn't our wee todgers!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
And Mr Todd and Mr Wiblin trying to get it off!!! Jeez, I'm gonna pee mesell!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mind you, once you got to know him, he was a good lad too, who'd do anything for ya!
We always thought he was keeping Mrs Reader happy, and with a shlong like that, he very well could have!!!
The Wild Witch-Wizard of Whiteleas
Was a changeling's son from Mars.
He learnt his songs
From the Cosmic Throngs
And played them on a Fender guitar - Oh yeah.
nesr012

Post by nesr012 »

You trying to say that his arm grew in the wrong place :shock:
Gives new meaning to put your hand up!!
Barney
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Barney »

nesr012 wrote:You trying to say that his arm grew in the wrong place :shock:
Gives new meaning to put your hand up!!
Can't say as i noticed any fingers on it, nesr, but that wouyld have been very useful!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
He learnt his songs
From the Cosmic Throngs
Bandana Dave
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Bandana Dave »

Hiya Barney, ya got it right there mate :lol: The Quantrill's ( i know them well , I am One :lol: :lol: :lol: ) I'm the oldest , then wor Martin,Ian and Steven,) hey ya could have said something s**t but you did'nt, so cheers mate, :lol: havn't seen wor Martin and Steve for about ten years or so, but i keep in touch with wor Ian, It was 1966 when we moved to Whiteleas, from School Loaning, my ma got a brand new house in heaton Gardens but she exchanged it for the one in Romney Ave, cos the new house had central heating and she said "It rotts ya furniture" so she wanted a house with a coal fire, :lol: i started getting in more bother when i moved there man, it was f*cking mad then, i remember susan Jenkins, and Joan Burt (The Glute) :lol: thats what the lads called her, bless her, i used to go out with Pauline Pape for years when i was younger, she was a bang on lass, later i lived with Sandra Bartlett for about ten years (still keep in touch with her) happy days when ya look back eh ! i remember Alfie Kinghorn, Can ya remember Terry who lived in Rubens ave ? or what about Eric who lived near the top shops, i'll tell ya whats just popped in my head, Woodleys mobile shop, ha ha , we used to jump on the back an nick all the sweets and cakes, and he never had a clue, :lol: and what about Broughs Mobile shop, Kinell !! he used to dread comming to Whiteleas, i don't think he made a penny, everyone was on Tick, :lol: my mother used to get a s**t load of stuff off him man, and he never got no money :lol: what about Geordie Steadman ! i always liked george, in his drinking days he was a very funny man, i rember one time he had came out the Fad "Steaming" and was draging himself along the church railings, when Father Connoly stoped him and said " George, your a lonely lonely man, and the house of the lord is always open to you anytime you neede it" Geordie slowley raised his head and looked him straight in the eyes and said "F*ck off" and caried on draging himself home, the priests face was a picture, another time he came to our house and he said to my ma "Ivy, I know what's wrong with me and why i act like i do" and my ma said "What's that then George" and he said "My F*cking Heads the wrong shape" i was buckled me man, Pure class, he went in the Fad one time dressed as a woman, the full lot wig, make up, tights ,skirt, the lot, and no one knew it was him, the lads were chatting him up, I had a lot of time for him, :lol:
"Shy Kids Get no Sweets"
Barney
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Barney »

Ha-ha!! I couldn't say anything bad about the Quantrill's, man! I used to hang around with your Ian and Steve, although hanging about wi' Ian was hazardous to any relationship you might have wanted to have wi' the lasses - they friggin' loved him - so freakin' handsome!!! What wi' him and Jimmy McCullough, us normal-looking buggers didn't stand a chance! :lol: :lol:

Up until I emigrated to Canada 13 years ago, I knew Terry "I knaa the game!" well. He was a good lad, as long as you didn't take the p*ss out of him. Then he could be one mean bug*er!! Heart of gold, though.
And Eric, too. He was harmless, and always full of bright ideas.
I knew Geordie Steadman, too, but was more familiar with Billy and his kids - Melvin and Carol.
I'm not sure what the relationship between Geordie and Billy was - maybe martymont knows, as he lived 2 doors from Billy.

Aye, there was lots of characters about in those days. Remember Ant Clouson? He was a hard nut, used to live on Nevi near the roundabout. Another wierdo was Hanratty, who lived on Rubens.

I knew Pauline Pape well, and Sandra B, too. I worked in the Duster for four years before swanning off to the Smoke, and knew a whole shitload o' folk!!
Good times, man, good times.
Starting to sound like a Bruce Springsteen record now - Glory Days!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Barney on Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He learnt his songs
From the Cosmic Throngs
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

Joan Burt, Pauline Pape used to hang around with our Julie so did Bridget Godwin
Deka
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Deka »

Barney,Terry died last year,as for Eric my eldest daughter looked after him for a few year over at Wenlock Road,were the residents have their own small units.Geordie Steadman i know very well.............i married his sister! Can you remember the late Dave Unitt?
Look to the future
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

I do remember him there is quite few of them who have passed away
nesr012

Post by nesr012 »

Great thread this one..........Bridget Godwin, I have not heard that sir name for a long time, did she have a brother called Franky?
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

I used to work with Peter Hanratty who lived in Rubens. Guess he is the wierdo you mean. He was a good Catholic lad.
Saw him a few months back. He is in a bad way. Think he'd suffered a stroke but he was still puffing away on a tab!
Barney
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Barney »

Aye - Peter Hanratty - that was him. A really bright lad, but loved his smokes!! Had a younger brother, Terry.
Peter had a stroke, eh. Jeez - he's no age!!!

I think you;re thinking of Frankie Goodwin, used to live in Turner Ave.

I remember Dave Unitt, too.
Whiteleas was a veritable fountain of youth in those days - now we're all on the verge of old fartsiness!! :lol:
Still, it's good to stay fit and feel as if you're still a teenager.

And Terry died, too. That's kind of a relief, really. He was never the same after his mother then his aunt died.
He learnt his songs
From the Cosmic Throngs
Fenella
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Fenella »

before my time i know but who was in the hill skins , nook side barmy army ,and who was in the w.e.a.b
Directionless so plain to see a loaded gun won't set you free so you say
Barney
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Barney »

Fenella wrote:before my time i know but who was in the hill skins , nook side barmy army ,and who was in the w.e.a.b
Are you asking for lists, or just for the posters on here to own up to which they were a part of, Fenella?

If the latter, I think I've already admitted, along with Bandana Dave, of being a member of the WEAB.
If you want a list, I can only speak for WEAB members and a few Nookside. Can't say I really knew anyone from the Hill.

There was Biddick Hall - Skin Brown and his fiends - and Brockley Whins - Deka Wade and his friends - too.
There was a Sima gang as well, and, of course, the Deans.
He learnt his songs
From the Cosmic Throngs
Deka
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Deka »

The WEAB,originally,Bill Puttock,Kev Keeler,Dave Quantrill,Me,Shep,Ant,Jeff Elliott,Grampi,Neil,The Mcqueens,Oxo,Bumper,Millett,Meff,Coatsey,Tooty,to name just a few,any other names accepted.
Look to the future
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

these boards are full of bad lads ..... :shock:
:lol: