Pip has died.

Local History for Tyne & Wear
nesr012

Pip has died.

Post by nesr012 »

HE WAS believed to be Britain’s last surviving pit pony, but the death of Pip has severed a link with the region’s mining heritage.

Pip, who lived to the ripe old age of 35, but passed away at Beamish Open Air Museum, near Stanley, County Durham, where he had lived happily for the past 23 years.

He began at Blackburn Drift, Marley Hill Colliery, near Sunniside, Gateshead, working the narrow seams 150 feet underground until it closed 30 years ago, when he was aged five.

He then moved to Sacriston Colliery, near Durham. He worked there until it ceased production in 1985. Pip was kept on for another year to help with salvage work before being given to Beamish.

“He had a long and happy retirement at Beamish and he trained his successor, Flash, to wear his harness to show visitors the type he wore down the mine.”
silver fox
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Pip has died.

Post by silver fox »

Very sad day for all..Its just like an animal becoming extinct...once its gone you cannot get it back... :(
Does anyone know if there is any surviving soldiers from the first world war left ..Cant be many i suppose .. :?:
Last edited by silver fox on Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

fox i think you mean the first world war :lol:
silver fox
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by silver fox »

Thats what i said... :!: :wink: :lol:
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

silver fox wrote: Does anyone know if there is any surviving soldiers from the first world war left ..Cant be many i suppose .. :?:

There were four, but one died recently, those remaining are all over 100 years old.

8)
nesr012

Post by nesr012 »

Baldy you are right, what a debt we owe these men and their like.
Not having been from a generation where war was a part of their life commitment, I have nothing but respect for their sacrifices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=ES&hl=e ... re=related

The clip says it all.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

My grandfather served with the DLI and was killed April 19th 1918 at Ypres Salient, having survived
the second Paschendale battle, he was 32 years old, his wife had died in 1917 so their five children
were orphaned, my father being three years old at the time. My father and his younger sister were
placed in an orphanage, the other three children were raised by other family members. Such was the
sacrifice my grandfather made.

My father served with the DLI in India and Burma, he was discharged in 1945 due to severe war wounds.
He died just before his 81st birthday.

8)
nesr012

Post by nesr012 »

I can relate to your story as my mothers side of the family suffered in the same way with children having to be adopted (or moved to live with relations or neighbours as adoption did not happen at that time) due to the Great War and her father also served in India and Burma during WW2 in the Royal Artilery and died aged only 55 years in the mid sixties. I have restored and coloured the few photographs that survived of him which gave me a great deal of pride and sence of achievement.
brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c »

My Grandfather was in the Northumberland Fusilers in WW1 but survived so our family was very lucky.

We owe these men a debt that can never be repaid.

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

My uncle died aged 15 in April 1918 when his ship was torpedoed off Fair Isle. His mam, my grandmother, died aged 88. When she died we found in her handbag the telegram notifying her of the loss of her son. She'd carried it with her for over 55 years.
No grief counsellors in those days
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

:( sad story Deli....respect to each and every one of them .. :rose:
and Pip..
silver fox
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by silver fox »

anna wrote: :( sad story Deli....respect to each and every one of them .. :rose:
and Pip..
HERE HERE..
denis
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by denis »

how did we get to the 1st world war.from PIP?
Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths »

A loss yes but his memory will live on by all of those who have an interest in such things. Like wise when I joined the New Zealand Army 51 years ago at Waiouru Military camp they had there the last surviving horse that had served in a theatre of war. I saw him a couple of times in his paddock but I never remembered his name.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't