Anybody remember

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Chloe
Big Gob
Big Gob

Re: Anybody remember

Post by Chloe »

Okay I emailed you too, thought I'd send a pic of his grand-daughters you can see the connection xx
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Got them thanks.

Two very nice looking young ladies, at least they don't look like Peggy. :D

Pity the photo file of you dad wasn't larger, I could have made the photo

look a lot better.

Do you look as good as the girls? :wink:

I'm off to noddy land now, catch up with you tomorrow, maybe you'll
have some more questions to ask. ciao!

8)
Chloe
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by Chloe »

Okay enjoy your sleep, I look like an older version of the dark haired one, I think the blonde one looks like dad a little. Is that how you remember him? Will catch up with you soon take care, if I hear anything I will let you know xxx
Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths »

I think this is the nicest thread I have ever read.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

It is Global ,but also a sad one ...
malaymac
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: sometimes Sheels, sometimes Singapore, or maybe Malaysia

Post by malaymac »

anna wrote:It is Global ,but also a sad one ...
I agree and disagree. It's both heart warming and yet sad as well.
Baldy did a good job helping to bring things things up to date even if some of it might have been painful to read.
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

thats the beauty of these boards ... =D> =D>
Thanks to Jimmy and BigRy.. =D> =D>
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Chloe, I know you haven't visited the boards since January, but I just hope
you get to read this.

Update on Information regarding your father

John Bradley, born 1921 mothers maiden name Seed, birth registered in Chester le Street.

Your dad was the oldest of three brothers, the other two in order of age, Arnold Bradley, William S Bradley.

Your Grandfather had a sister Emily who married your Grandmothers brother.

Your Grandfather John William Bradley, was born in 1899 at Lanchester, County Durham, which is just up
the road from Chester le Street.

Your Grandmother Margaret Ellen Bradley (nee Seed) born 1902, has her birth registered in Chester le Street.

I'll keep digging and may come up with more information later.

8)
denis
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by denis »

I think this is a very nice thred and it just goes to show that there are some very nice people willing to help
Good luck
rusty
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by rusty »

I noticed a few mentions of the Companion Club in the last few pages,my father was a founder member of the club and i believe Sec for a number of years R.B.Atkinson (had a news agents in Westoe rd just before the railway bridge.I think there emblem was a letter c inside a blue diamond.
highshieldsman
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by highshieldsman »

I think you have enough information already to find out what you want on the sixth floor of the new City Library in Newcastle which is the equivalent of what used to be called Somerset House in London.

I was there for different reasons one Sat and discovered my father's date of birth (I vaguely knew it) as I was always curious whether he was younger than my mother (he was, but not by much) and the maiden name of my paternal grandmother so I now know if I come across anyone from SS with the name of ???????? that we are related!
highshieldsman
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by highshieldsman »

PS Sorry I just looked and realised you are in Nottingham not the North East so going to Newcastle library is not an easy option! Perhaps Baldy can do it for you, otherwise if there's no equivalent in Nottingham the Records Office is now somewhere in Islington in London, I forget exactly where, it's a long time about ten years or more since I wentthere to get a relative's birth certificate
highshieldsman
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by highshieldsman »

PPS This thread has got me fascinated because I was born in S Frederick St so I am trying to visualise this shop. Are you sure one of his shops was in south fred, not fred itself?.

I do not remember any shop in the last block of south fred street before it became fred street in those days except a bakers (stotty cake, please!) and a barbers on one side (your right if you are looking towards fred street) and a newsagent on the other side. Can't remember a shop on that corner but there must have been, actually I remember now, a red painted tobacconists, and 'Betty's' round that corner - open on a Sunday. Absolutely no chance of any shop that sold condoms in the other direction, there was a fish and chip shop on the corner further back and a curious shop that sold secondhand tat. Further away the houses got slightly 'posher'.

I am sure the barbers sold condoms - 'something for the weekend, sir?' (tho only to married men!), but judging by the size of families in those days, they must not have been a very profitable line!
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

highshieldsman wrote:I think you have enough information already to find out what you want on the sixth floor of the new City Library in Newcastle which is the equivalent of what used to be called Somerset House in London.
You can find any information regarding births, deaths and marriages in the South Shields/Jarrow/Hebburn area at

http://www.southtyneside.info/community ... fault.aspx

8)
homesick
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by homesick »

If I remember right the barber's was Stuart Renwick's and the bakery Robison's.Also there was a bakers called Hossners who made the most fantastic bread.There was always a fight over the crust between me and my brothers .What wonderful memories.
malaymac
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: sometimes Sheels, sometimes Singapore, or maybe Malaysia

Post by malaymac »

Homesick, just curious. Where are you located these days ?
homesick
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by homesick »

I am living in Hebburn ,hence the screen name.
highshieldsman
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by highshieldsman »

Yes, Robison's sounds right. I don't remember a Hossners though. I remember the butcher on the next block, the one that became Frederick Street, was Joe's.
highshieldsman
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by highshieldsman »

baldy.smith wrote:
highshieldsman wrote:I think you have enough information already to find out what you want on the sixth floor of the new City Library in Newcastle which is the equivalent of what used to be called Somerset House in London.
You can find any information regarding births, deaths and marriages in the South Shields/Jarrow/Hebburn area at

http://www.southtyneside.info/community ... fault.aspx

8)

This only goes into minimal detail. You have to look up the card index and microfiches to get exact dates and other info at the Library. You can order the birth certificate online but not everyone wants to do that.
Pooter
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pooter »

highshieldsman wrote:Yes, Robison's sounds right. I don't remember a Hossners though. I remember the butcher on the next block, the one that became Frederick Street, was Joe's.
I don't remember Hossners either but "Joes" was Joe Coopers, across the road was Quigleys the fruit shop and on the corner Moores. We used to go to Thompsons up South Frederick Street for the "rations". We would ask for a bag of mixed biscuits - no fig rolls. The girl would always put one in though.