Sheels and ships

Local History for Tyne & Wear
malaymac
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: sometimes Sheels, sometimes Singapore, or maybe Malaysia

Sheels and ships

Post by malaymac »

For those with an interest for shipping nostalgia, I highly recommend a vist to the appropriately named

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com

Although some may not be aware of the towns strong links to the ships, those who built and repaired them or those who sailed on them, there will be many who have strong links to ships past and present all over the world who may still have an interest in what went on there.

Apart from the shipyards on the Tyne such as Swans, Hawthorn Leslie, Readheads etc. there are many shiprepair yards like Brigham & Cowan, Tyne Dock Engineering, Middle Docks, Mercantile, Palmers, Smiths etc, who will remember their time spent there.

Can anyone remember living near the river and hearing the hooter early in the morning (signaling that the days work was about to start) and wondering if you could make it to work on time ? and if running late, how much you would be docked ?

At the end of the shift, and the stampede out of the dock gates (and nearly killed in the rush to get out).

How many worked on these ships and never realised that soon, they would be sailing on them ?

Where did they go and what did they see ?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Sheels and ships

Post by Pilot »

I'm banned from that site :( :( :(
I voted leave

johnc10
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by johnc10 »

Pilot wrote:I'm banned from that site :( :( :(

Why? What ye done? :D
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

Its a long story, but its a strange site and doesnt like people to have strong opinions....you toe the line or your out. I was an early member of the site and had a run in with a guy who seemed to know the site owner and the rest is history. :? :?
I voted leave

bamboo
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by bamboo »

always had you down for a wrongen. :D
back by popular demand
cushy butterfield
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by cushy butterfield »

Pilot my hubby asks if you know of a ship called the Tynebridge, Derwentfield, Tweedbridge, Fairfiled, Forthfield, Dalhana, the Avonfield. He used to work for Hunting and Son. Hope you can come to the pub for a night out that Jarrow Pete is arranging. Would be good to talk to you.
life is not how many breathes you take its how much life takes your breath away
cushy butterfield
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Malymac, my hubby used to work at Swan Hunters dry dock in Wallsend. married a real canny Geordie Lass who sailed with him many times, becoming one of the youngest Chief Engineers in the country. We then had 1 son, then emigrated to Canada and then had a daughter. He still sails, working month on month off and never ever thought he would be back on the Tyne with a ship opposite the dry dock he served his apprentiship in. So there is one story for you.
Hope you can meet at the pub too.
:D
malaymac
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by malaymac »

cushy butterfield wrote:Malymac, my hubby used to work at Swan Hunters dry dock in Wallsend. married a real canny Geordie Lass who sailed with him many times, becoming one of the youngest Chief Engineers in the country. We then had 1 son, then emigrated to Canada and then had a daughter. He still sails, working month on month off and never ever thought he would be back on the Tyne with a ship opposite the dry dock he served his apprentiship in. So there is one story for you.

Great story Cushy,

I served an apprenticeship at Brigham & Cowans and later joined The Bank Line. Then sailed on the last ship to be built at the covered in Pallion yard and due to unforeseen circumstances, the ship had to brought into the Tyne as the weather was not good enough for returning to the River Wear. We ended up alongside the same quay at Brighams where I used to work several years earlier.

The funny thing is, knowing that I lived in Sheels the Chief Engineer allowed me to commute each day from home to the shipyard and thinking the ship would be returning to Pallion, I then had to go all the way back to Pallion to get my car and drive it right back to my house near the town hall and almost very nearly back to ship (again).
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

Bloody hell i think I was the Pilot out on those sea trials i will look at the name and date in a min....we couldnt get back into the wear so we berthed at brigams
I voted leave

malaymac
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by malaymac »

cushy butterfield wrote:Malymac, my hubby used to work at Swan Hunters dry dock in Wallsend. married a real canny Geordie Lass who sailed with him many times, becoming one of the youngest Chief Engineers in the country. We then had 1 son, then emigrated to Canada and then had a daughter. He still sails, working month on month off and never ever thought he would be back on the Tyne with a ship opposite the dry dock he served his apprentiship in. So there is one story for you.

Hi Cushy,

The idea of you all getting together for a drink or three sounds great.

Unfortunately, for me, I've already overspent on more visits back than usual in the last couple of years (about 600 quid for each of us every time) and it's a full 24 hour door to door journey. However, if anyone is heading out towards Singapore or South Malaysia, then please PM me and let's all pop in to my local.

Hope you and hubby really enjoy your time back in Sheels and everyone has a good night out together. :D
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

No I'm wrong, the ship I was talking about was the Roachbank we sailed from TCB on the Tyne and we did get back into the Wear after trials...it was touch and go though.
I voted leave

malaymac
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by malaymac »

Pilot wrote:No I'm wrong, the ship I was talking about was the Roachbank we sailed from TCB on the Tyne and we did get back into the Wear after trials...it was touch and go though.
Hi Pilot,

I also served on the Roachbank, Pikebank and Tenchbank. All 3 were of the last series of ships to be built at Pallion.

What a terrible waste of a great shipyard and (for it's time) very advanced facilities.

Bank Line had such strong connections with the yard, they even had a very nice garden within the yard premises.

I'll never forget the last one out though and seeing grown men with tears in their eyes, knowing it was the end of an era.
cushy butterfield
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

OMG Malymac I wish I had known you were in Singapore I was there last January. My Dad used to work for a Singapore shipping company, the ship was called the Glory. He died at sea and was buried off the coast of Western Australia, funny thats where I visit often as my sister and brother both live in Perth
malaymac
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by malaymac »

cushy butterfield wrote:OMG Malymac I wish I had known you were in Singapore I was there last January. My Dad used to work for a Singapore shipping company, the ship was called the Glory. He died at sea and was buried off the coast of Western Australia, funny thats where I visit often as my sister and brother both live in Perth

Cushy, I'm sorry to hear about your losing your father.

I went through the same experience about 18 months ago and no matter how well you plan for the day, it's still tough to go through when it happens.

I've been over here over 10 years now (well here and south Malaysia - hence, the malaymac nickname and sometimes ridiculous love for SAFC).

Perth is a place I like very much and we had a fantastic Christmas down there 3 years ago. Their close neighbour Fremantle is also worthy of a visit.

If you're coming back out this way, then PM me. It's good to talk.
cushy butterfield
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Yeah Freemantle is one of my favourite places. My Dads name is in the rememberance book at the Mission to Seamans in Freemantle. It was really good last time I was over there, just a year ago, to go see it.
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

Cushy, the only one I'm not sure about is the Dalhana, as for the meeting, I doubt I can come, so much is going on just now, you wouldn't believe it, some very good and some horrendous. I cant go into details.
I voted leave

cushy butterfield
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Oh thats a shame Pilot but understand. Hope whatevers going on turns out OK :)