Pub Crawl

Local History for Tyne & Wear
malaymac
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: sometimes Sheels, sometimes Singapore, or maybe Malaysia

Pub Crawl

Post by malaymac »

It's quite a few years ago, but it often started in the County (unique place and people, even better before renovation mid/late 80's), then downtown to the (ex-Ripons sports shop, whatever the name was), along Beach Road to the Bowler Hat (loud music would always kill any conversation), then the Voyager, then Porters (some great music nights when live bands played there), Stags Head (usually squashed in like sardines downstairs and upstairs), Albermarle (not really sure why), and usually the Criterion (try to avoid a fight or spily beer).

Depending upon ability to stand up straight and the finances, we would then stagger along to Ruperts (wait in line for up to an hour and try not to fall down the stairs) and drink at ridiculously cheap prices until the money ran out or the brain cells stopped working !!!
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Pub Crawl

Post by anna »

sweet memories .. :D :wink:
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

Anna started of at theChi, Adam & Eve, Lord Clyde, Railway, Locomotive,Brig, Commando,Ferry, Tail and Durham then the Lambton, then other nights went to Havelock, scotia,Beehive, Ship & Royal,Criterion, Stags, Brittania, Albemarle then onto a night club Tavern, Ruperts best pub of all the Ferry :lol: :lol:
andysfootball

Post by andysfootball »

bloody hell malaymac

you got the pub crawl right to a tee

sometimes did the cat on the same night
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

i would rather sit in a nice pub,all night , than go round all of them ,plus its too bloody cold ,but saying that ,you didnt feel the cold when you were younger ,going out with a coat on ,wasnt heard of ,,now i wouldnt go out the door without my coat ,,,
:shock: is that a sign im getting old ,,,,,,,,,,nooooooooo its coz its winter .. :roll: :D
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Brings back memories mentioning the County, used to go there have 4 pints of Watneys Red Barrel then on to the dance at Daniels when I was about 16.After 4 pints was ready to fight any one in them days. Good job you get wiser as you get older.
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

some of us do Pete .. :wink:
champion.
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by champion. »

Aye, some of us :lol: :lol: :wink:
My mate reckons he's going to a convention for retired shoe repairers today.
Load of old cobblers if you ask me.
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

While everyone was at the County or Westoe when I was at college a few of us either went to the Fountains or if we had time the Bamburgh. :lol: :lol:
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

I hear the fountain is closeing down ..??
Champ ..your not included.. :D :wink:
johnc10
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by johnc10 »

anna wrote:I hear the fountain is closeing down ..??
Champ ..your not included.. :D :wink:

My dad goes there and apparently it's under new management and for legal reasons they had
to close down for a certain length of time and then re-open 8)
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

When on pub crwl we would end up in the City of Durham back in 72 it was expensive for a pint of Stella at least 60 pence I think, then the Ship & Royal always went downstairs dingy cellar bar fab tunes plastic glasses and funny smelling smoke happy days. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
comeonthen
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by comeonthen »

My pub crawl was only a short one. I would start in the 'Smugglers' then to the 'Mechanics' then back to the 'Smugglers' then onto the 'Mermaid Tale' And it was always back to the 'Smugglers' for the last one. the reason for this was that the 'Smugglers' would nearly always have a lock in. This was the late 60s and early 70s. They would close the Smugglers and reopen it but the same clientle would eventually return and things would go back to normal. I remeber that the toilets had a broken roof and you could see the dead pigeons rotting away. The floor had to be waded through, and there was only room for two people standing very close to eachother and one place to sit down if you dared as there was no door and the bowl was always overflowing. Beautiful pub, haven't been in years as I am now a non-drinker.
comeonthen
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

We started in the Pier, Grapes, Criterion, Northeastern, Station, Scotia, Bridge, Garricks Head, Golden Lion, Eagle Vaults, Mermaids Tail, Railway and Locomotive. Then the No 11 bus home :D :D :D
I voted leave

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

The Pickled eggs in the Northeastern kept us going till we had a jar of muscles in the locomotive. Then I would get off the bus at Laygate and get fish and chips and eat them on my way up to the chi. All on ten bob as well. :D :D :D
I voted leave

brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c »

Ten bob :shock: : .....you musta been a rich bugga :roll:

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

I never crawled into a pub, but I've crawled out of lots. :D

8)
malaymac
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: sometimes Sheels, sometimes Singapore, or maybe Malaysia

Post by malaymac »

Pilot wrote:The Pickled eggs in the Northeastern kept us going till we had a jar of muscles in the locomotive. Then I would get off the bus at Laygate and get fish and chips and eat them on my way up to the chi. All on ten bob as well. :D :D :D
Pilot, that takes me back, ten bob, indeed.

I don't know if we are from the same age group (but I guess somewhere very close) and I can remember early seventies as an underage drinker still at school (I'm embaressed to say), spending over a pound on a Friday night and wondering how I can last out for the rest of the week.

And I remember the stupid juvenile laughter when the guy selling seafood stuff from his basket would come into the County and shout 'anyone fancy crabs'
comeonthen
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by comeonthen »

Pilot wrote:The Pickled eggs in the Northeastern kept us going till we had a jar of muscles in the locomotive. Then I would get off the bus at Laygate and get fish and chips and eat them on my way up to the chi. All on ten bob as well. :D :D :D
Was it that long ago when you could actually have a good night out for just over ten bob. I think a pint would have cost about 11old pence. When I first started work I earned £3.10s and my mother took £3.00 board off me and I actually made that 10s last all week and still had a good time.
Where were you living at the time Pilot?
comeonthen
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

Well after you stole my house :D I lived in Bradwell for 4 years 1960 to 64 then I left home and lived in digs in Stanhope Road for 4 years before going deep sea.
I voted leave