1969 - 1974

John T
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

1969 - 1974

Post by John T »

Hi all,

My name is John Taylor and I went to Stanhope from 1969 - 1974 (that was the year we joined with Dean Road School until it got burned down)

Anyone else here who went there during that time? I was in class G2.

John
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

hi john that was also the year i was there to, i always remember the first day we moved over to dean road and thinking what a dump, but at least it burnt well :lol:
John T
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by John T »

Yeah, it was a dump! I remember the day it got burned down. We were at the Stanhope site ready for our CSE exams when we saw a plume of smoke accross the West Park. We had to do all our exams in the gymn at Stanhope. Still, because there was no school to go back to, we had the rest of the year off school after the exams.

John
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

yep one of the best days of my life, the school bus pulled up and the driver said whos for dean road and i said me and he said dont bother son it gone :lol:
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: 1969 - 1974

Post by jimmywizz »

here is a great photo of dean road school after the fire
http://www.myhometown-schools.co.uk/the ... hotoID=228
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

jimmywizz wrote:here is a great photo of dean road school after the fire
http://www.myhometown-schools.co.uk/the ... hotoID=228
You really love that photo jimmy, don't you :lol: :lol: :lol:

8)
MACKEMTREV
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by MACKEMTREV »

Hello

My name is Trevor Colman. I left Stanhope Road School around 1971 as my Mam re-married and we went to live in Gateshead.

I left school in 1974 and joined the Royal Air Force and - well the rest is history.

I stayed in the RAF until 5 years ago and left after 28 years. I am still working for the RAF but as civilian. I live in Lincolnshire as I have for a few years now as I married a Lincolshire lass.

I remember the lads at school - Trevor Cullen and Timothy Codling to name but two who I played football with for the School - they said that I would soon be supporting the black and whites as I was moving to Gateshead - in the heart of their part of the Country. Not a chance I am still a Sunderland supporter and always will be.

Anyway I would be glad to hear from anyone who was at Stanhope Road around the same time.

Regards

Trev
elliedeb1
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by elliedeb1 »

I remember the fire at dean rd, but we never got a year off (how bad was that). my memories are a little vague, so would welcome any amendments/clarrification. I attended stanhope rd school and i believe shortly befor the fire, dean rd merged with stanhope rd. I attended dean rd after the merger and following this was sent to a school somewhere off mortimer rd?
Cairngormer7374
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by Cairngormer7374 »

Hi Trevor, Brian Crammon here, (1969 to 1974: Class Upper 1A: Upper 2A: Upper 3A: Upper4A & Upper 5A)
Just contacted Trevor Cullin yesterday after finding him on here and an associated website (home town Schools). He's down London now. Timothy Codling was in my year and his big brother was a Police Officer who went with the school trips to the Cairngorms Mountain ranges in 1973 and 1974 - believe he was on earlier ones as well. Probably you'll not remember the lads in lower years though: Lot of lads still in the area and this sites threw up a lot of names I'd forgotten. Frank Stiddolph for one, Kieth Pryor? Remember Alan McKieth Jim Bilby, 'Sooty' Sutton, John Mizen, Keith Squeaky Screaton, Neil Patrick to name but a few... I'd mention some of the lasses but the wife will get her jealous head on :lol: Aldso keep seeing Tommy Garthwaite doing the rounds with the council, - hard working lad. Saw another lad Derek Thompson with a chest full of medals other week at the Cenotaph in Shields, looking well given his earlier stomach trouble.

BTW It was my Brother who spotted the school going up in flames and put the report in to the Dean Road bank station as his shift was ending...Mr McDonald (Angus) whom I was friends with for many years -passed away couple of years back but is still working in teaching -donated his body to Science for medical teaching...just the way he'd like to continue, teaching to the end (and beyond), took a group of us in after the fire, to the top science lab to rescue some bits and pieces -what a mess.
Some names just to jog the memory: Killer Crowell (to whom I owe my Maths degree) Angus who taught me everything about Tech Drwaing, plans and Geometry, and a few other McNaughton,(Art) Stan Dale (Science)...Mr Coulthard or Coulson? Who was the Woodwork teacher?
willow
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by willow »

Hi all, pete reed here. I remember most of the names you mention. They were rough schools, but by and large i remember my time there fondly . Made so good mates there and happy times amd à good laugh