Car Insurance

Leave your remarks about life in South Shields / South Tyneside

Moderator: andysfootball

StottieCake
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Car Insurance

Post by StottieCake »

Does anyone have an opinion on the huge prices charged for insurance. My son is 20 and I requested that he could also drive our old banger of a car worth less that £500.

Quote was £1,630.

I believe he wouldn't be a boy racer (who wouldn't bother with insurance anyway). He can expect these prices for the next three years while at university.

How should it be done? Any advice? :?
Derekftm
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Derekftm »

anybody under 25 can expect those prices, although if he takes his pass plus, it can knock a helluva lot off the price with some companies
Tesco Car Ins gives a big discount on that

:P :P
StottieCake
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by StottieCake »

Thanks Derek I'll check that out for his 21st birthday - meanwhile he's on shankses pony
Alice
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Alice »

My son who is 17 and still learning to drive bought himself a micra, the insurance is in my name and he is down as a named driver we pay just under 600 pound a year. that is with direct line where he can build up his no claims over the next few years.
Life is to short to miss out,just go for it.
g0var
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by g0var »

I found these were the best for younger drivers, both my son who was 19 last year and one of the blokes in the office who's on was 20 a couple of months ago..

http://www.quinn-direct.co.uk/carinsura ... Qgodq1kJHw
When designing something completely foolproof, the designers seldom take account of the inginuity of complete fools !

Cogito Ergo Doleo
Jim_in_France
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jim_in_France »

Car insurance is a rip off. When you do try to claim, they will try their best to get out of paying. No wonder there are so many uninsured drivers around. Only the rich can afford it. When I was young, the cost of insurance was more than the cost of my car! So I quite simply didn't get any, or blagged a cover note for the cops. I often got fined, but the fines are less than the insurance! :twisted:
"The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast."

"We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell."

Oscar Wilde
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

Mmmmmm, drivers with no insurance should have their right foot amputated IMO :shock: The cost of your insurance is no reflection on the cost of your car, your insurance covers you for the £1m claim you may have against you if you kill someone while driving. :shock:
Last edited by Pilot on Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I voted leave

StottieCake
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by StottieCake »

Thanks for the responses so far - its a real minefield and I think intentionally confusing for plebs like me.

I will check out the recommendations and get my son to do some busking to raise the extra money. :D

Hang on a bit, is busking illegal?
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

I pay £400 per year for my car used in my business with a mileage of 40000 a year and that's with 12 years no claims.
I have just bought a new vw van to use instead of the car and was quoted £950 for insurance, I asked about my no claims and was told you cannot have it on two vehicles, I argued that I could only drive them one at a time, but they would not budge. I then spent a couple of hours on the net and found a company that would give me my full no claims on car and van, have ended up paying £490 for van.
So would recommend spending a couple of hours on the net and see what you can find
Alice
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Alice »

Does not make any difference he is a named driver on the insurance he can drive it as much as he wants to s.t.e.f. At the end of the day at least he is insured not like a lot of the younger ones these days.
Jim_in_France
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jim_in_France »

Judging by the prices quoted here, I am feeling a little better about my insurance here in France. I thought I was being ripped off! But it seems not. I pay nearly €900 that's paid over 10 months. I get fully comp for that and Europe wide breakdown cover. So it seems OK. But this year I will reduce it to basic cover, as the cost per year is now approaching the value of my car.
"The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast."

"We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell."

Oscar Wilde
brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c »

At the risk of being shouted at I can reveal that I pay £196.00 per year for fully comp and business use.

I will now run away and hide.

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Brian, car insurance is due May 1st,pm me with the name of your insurance company please.
Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Axeman »

I use Esure and find them quite good.

Do companies do cover notes for short periods still, maybe your son could do some short one month spells and if he has no accidents etc maybe that will help bring the price down.

Don't know just a thought to see if it'll save dosh.
WWW.NEWHARTLEYSERVICES.CO.UK. SAVE SAVE SAVE. Swap to a cheaper, better service.
Play in an on-line lottery syndicate...WWW.BETLOTT.COM
Alice
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Alice »

My other car is an mx5 and the insurance i pay for that a year is 148 pounds and that is fully comp. :)
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

I drive a 2 litre engined car and fully Comp for myself and my wife is £295.31p its due in two weeks time. Thats with maximum no claims. 8)
I voted leave

brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c »

Stotie, try confused.com

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!
captain beefheart
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by captain beefheart »

my wife has a subaru forester and this is £131 fully comp with churchill, i have a landrover discovery , this is £235 fully comp again with churchill, my toyota hilux pick up for the farm is £255 TP&F and the tractor £25 with NFU these are a bit expensive as its commercial vehicle.
Price for my wifes and my disco seems to go down or hold steady each year with Churchill so i cannot complain, commercial insurance is a bit of a problem with pickups etc.
gag
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gag »

Ive had no bother with Churchill either. £311 a year, fully comp for a 2.7 Ford Maverick.

cheers.
gag
StottieCake
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by StottieCake »

Thanks everyone - much appreciated