Sixties groups

Local History for Tyne & Wear
gag
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Shady Kases.

Post by gag »

Hello again Cisco.
If I can remember rightly, when they first got together the line-up was Bob Gallagher, Alan Patterson, Alan Proctor and John Young. Arthur Ramm joined them later but I cannot recall the time that he joined. After Arthur joined them, I think John Young concentrated on being the singer instead of guitarist/singer. Somebody mentioned in one of the posts that their roadie was Jeff Sharp. Jeff used to get in the Marsden Inn regularly and he appeared in an episode of "Spender" as a card-player !. I understand that he supplied the VW Beetle used by Sammy Johnson in the show. Apparently, Jeff used to run/own a company called "Tyne Beetles" which was based somewhere in Gateshead.

Cheers Mate.
gag :D
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

yes he is with beckett now
i have their albut 3 times and the single twice
picture cover
they often play at the lord clyde and the sleepers bar in boldon

terry slesser is doing his own stuff
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

It was me Gag who mentioned Jeff Sharp was the roadie, he was as daft as a brush but a nice lad.
I heard that he run a company restoring Beetles.
I remember Arthur having his own group in the 70s called Ramm, seen them play at Gypsy's Green Festival, he lives in Whitburn now.

Cisco
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

here is an email i got off terry slesser today

The Free tribute band ‘Freeway’ [formerly Free at Last] are pleased to announce that Terry Wilson- Slesser has agreed to be guest vocalist on their up coming dates with original Free/Bad Company drummer Simon Kirke.

The Astor theatre Kent Feb 23 and Tynemouth Park Hotel Feb 24 are the first dates to be announced.

Terry is one of only two singers to have sung in a band with legendary Free guitarist Paul Kossoff- The other being the great Paul Rodgers.

Terry formed Back Street Crawler with Koss after Rodgers formed Bad Co: with Simon.

This is a must see event for all Free fans/

‘Freeway featuring Terry Wilson- Slesser’ will be available for some dates in 2007.

31 years after the death of Terry’s friend Paul Kossoff/ the music of Free and especially that ‘Koss sound’ still has a huge appeal for connoisseurs of 70’s rock.

John Buckton plays the Les Paul guitar in an uncanny Koss style.

Freeway is one of the UK’s premiere Free trib acts and the addition of Terry Slesser on vocals certainly adds a special Kudos to the occasion/ “this puts them a cut above the look-alike /imitation outfits that are out there”

Paul Rodgers took on the Freddie Mercury role for the band Queen in his own style as Terry intends to do with the Rodgers role’

“A tribute should be a ‘tribute’ in the right sense of the word not just an imitation or look-alike”

Terry will also be singing some of the material he recorded with Kossoff back in the 70’s and it is hoped that Simon will get on the kit to play with Terry and Freeway for a couple of classic Free/Bad Co: songs.

Web sites to check http://www.terryslesser.com / http://www.allrightnow.com / http://www.freeway.webeden.co.uk
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

I always thought Terry Slessor got better as he got older.
He played in a band a few years back, I can't remember their name they did a lot of Free stuff and Led Zeppelin, they had a brilliant guitarist called Willie Newton, does anyone remember him, Alan Craig was on drums.
The last place I seen them play was the Neptune in Commercial Road, long time ago.

He's related to you is'nt he Sless?

Cisco
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

his dad was my grandas cousin
so i dont know what that makes me
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

Got me there Sless.

Cisco
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

he has the voice
i have the looks
ahahaha
memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Post by memor »

Whatever happened to the

"Plutonium Border Collies?"

Brill group of the 60's
I always value Pilots wit and input
robpapE2
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by robpapE2 »

Your humble scribe has responded to the article in last saturdays Gazette on Jimi Hendrix ,playing the Cellar in 1967,.......has any one else contacted Mr Miles- Kelly with their memories ??????? :lol:

ROBPAPE and the PURPLE CANDY STRIPED EMOTICOMS :5propeller: :drunken_smilie: :BangHead: :skip: :smokey: :smokey: :angry4: :evil5: :hat36: :hat16: :headbang: :hat14: :hello2: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello:
robpapE2
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by robpapE2 »

sless wrote:his dad was my grandas cousin
so i dont know what that makes me

close but no cigar !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted:
memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Post by memor »

I not sure either but do you really want to have a post so people will tell you.

Brace yourself for some nasty comments.
I always value Pilots wit and input
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

braced :wink:
Pippa

Post by Pippa »

:lol: :lol: this is a great thread with some very funny arguments/niggles right at the start of it but it's packed full of interesting information
you people on here are really funny y'know :lol: :) :lol:
Babooshka

Post by Babooshka »

It is that, especially Pages 1 and 2, that Memor comes out with some crazy things, the 'Faggot Partners' with support group the 'Cowboy Sausages' :lol: and he's still coming out with funny band names....
I'm almost crying laughing at those posts and Cisco's responses on pages 1+2.. too funny, great stuff lads :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

but I've read through it all and it is a fantastic thread as you say :wink:
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

Memor is funny Babs, that was my first postings and I was'nt understanding where he was coming from being a new boy.

Just had another look at it and had a laugh :D

Cisco
Babooshka

Post by Babooshka »

Cisco wrote:Memor is funny Babs, that was my first postings and I was'nt understanding where he was coming from being a new boy.

Just had another look at it and had a laugh :D

Cisco
you and him both,
didn't realise you were a newbie then..