George Turner 1865c South Shields

Track down any of your lost pals or family on our Genealogy section
Agatha
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

George Turner 1865c South Shields

Post by Agatha »

Searching for George Turner born 1865c South Shields. Father John , a Blacksmith deceased at time of George's marriage to Frances Gray, in 1894, in the Parish Church, Hebburn.
George's address at time of marriage was 18 Price St, Hebburn.
Frances's, 11 St Andrews St, also Hebburn. Are these streets still there?
1901 census has the family living at 1 Back, Henzell St, Stockton-on-Tees.
Their first child Lily was born at 76 Dunston St, Hebburn in Nov, 1894.
Next child was George William Turner,b 1895c who died in the First World War.[France] Then my Grandmother Rachel b,1900 in Thornaby, Rose date of birth unknown. William b. 1904.
The family moved to Middlesbrough, as Frances is buried there and 3 children were married there.
Any information would be just wonderful. Have searched and searched for George's birth, but it is such a common name.
Regards
Agatha
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Welcome on board Agatha!

I wish you luck with you search, I'm sure someone on these boards will be able to help you out.

There is only one George Tuner listed as born in South Shields between 1863 to 1867. Details are:-

George Edward Turner born - July/August/September 1864
registry entry - Volume 10a Page 577

Parts of Price Street and St Andrews Street remain and are within yards of each other.

Hope this helps

8)
Agatha
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Agatha »

Thanks for reply concerning George Turner.
I did follow this one through as I thought it was my George, but they are both in the 1901 census married to different woman. Checked it out at G.R. O. and his father is not John. Also another few.
The only one with John as father was in 1861, and he was not a Blacksmith,but he could have had other jobs throughout his life.
George stated he was 28 when he married in 1894. 7 years later in 1901 census he is 37. So , did he knock a couple of years off when he married.!!!
Might have, as his wife Frances was only 20.
I don't know if he had any brother or sisters, then I could check out their dates of birth.
Any Turners still in Gatehead hoping to hear from you.
Regards
Agatha
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

I had a similar problem with my Grandmother. Registered aged 28 years at death but was in fact 32. Still trying to sort that one out. :roll:

8)
Agatha
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Agatha »

Not getting to far with the Turner side of the family, but still hoping some relatives might read this posting.

I received Frances's birth cert yesterday.[George's wife]

In the where and when born column , her date of birth appears,then just below that is written "pie annat". It also appears in the informant column, under wher Frances's mother's X mark.

The cert is an original copy from the G.R.O. and was hand written at that time.

Do you have any idea what this means? I thought it might be Latin for Urban residence, or no fixed abode., or is there a place by that name in Gateshead.
I have not came across these words before on any other certs.

regards Agatha
Agatha
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Agatha »

Hi,
Just to update you on the "pie annat" written on my Gt. Grandmothers birth cert. [ probably written just as it sounded]
I received a reply from Gateshead Council about it.

It seems there was a Pianet Lane in 1858. led from St Cuthberts Church,down to Low Teams, along the line what became Derwentwater Rd, where later was built Redheugh Football Ground.
Also it is an old name for a Magpie
Problem solved

Agatha
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Well I didn't have a clue about that, did a bit of research but found nothing conclusive.

It is shown on the map at this link:-

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/oldmaps/large_ind.jsp

8)