Meanest Town

Leave your remarks about life in South Shields / South Tyneside

Moderator: andysfootball

captain beefheart
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Meanest Town

Post by captain beefheart »

Did anyone see the report in yesterdays Daily Mirror, it showed the South Shields was the second meanest town in the country in giving to charity, I imagine the replies that will come to this thread but lets be honest it's a title that we should not be happy with.
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

another so called "working mans paper" talking out of its arse, and if you take the fact that more people are out of work in this town than most town in the country then you will find that we give more to charity than other towns
MC_Trilo_G
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by MC_Trilo_G »

and less tax to the government, hurrah!
'Nice one, bruvva!'
average len
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by average len »

Missed that. So what was the no. 1 meanest town?
padlock man
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by padlock man »

Right, jimmywizz. Generosity should be related to general prosperity of the town. It's the old thing about giving a little when you haven't got much being better than giving a lot when you're loaded.
memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Post by memor »

Worst town was Erith in Kent and it was in all papers not just Daily Mirror.
It was worked out by who gave direct debits to charities.
Memor
mick
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by mick »

I wont name names in case I have got to dodge the dummies. Quite a few of you people dont read ANY newspapers judging by the preconcieved Ideas you have. Have any one of you thought about writing science fiction, because you put Orwell to shame.
Use what talents you possess, for the woods would be silent if the only birds that sang, where the birds that sang the sweetest.
mick
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri »

Ah then, I must be an honorary sth shields cit then :o
Do you lot ever get those begging phone calls? The ones right on tea time, that start up with a spiel and then end up with "And what would you like to donate? There is the $30 plan, the $50 plan or the $100 and over plan". Ye gods, those amounts are my retirement plan.
Plus you know the person doing the phoning is earning wages from it all-probably a good half of what you donate.
I don't mind giving to door to door collectors or tin rattlers for Red cross and salvos etc and other well known charities, but what about the $2 plan and the $5 plan for the phone canvassers, don't they count in the scheme of things?
I bet sth shields is as generous as anywhere else, but maybe people are giving smaller amounts anonymously and often without demanding receipts all the time for their tax deductions.
curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly »

Which towns can count individuals like the late Big Hec, and the disgraced Tony Carlisle, who have raised countless thousands of pounds for charity in this town?
memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Post by memor »

Sherri I agree. It gone past time when people rattle tin can in High Street.
Charities are big business. Directors get big salaries for raising money.
Also my big pet hate is BUPA.
Dispite the fact that your payments go up every year and your benefits decrease. I used to know lady was secretary to big wig of BUPA Europe. She tell me that she was asked to arrange Junket for 200 delegates to Singapore. She had to budget for £2,000 per delegate.
Some Junket they not invite me and it was my money
Memor
gazza
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gazza »

orwell..............oh yes.........1984....watta year.............
thatz wen thu croon .........waz chokka evree sat`da neet..............
...........reet roond.....like a rcord baby...........reet roond.....
.......GET-ME-A-RUM-INSTEAD........
o_0
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by o_0 »

I have a comment on this. while working in North Shields, those 'clip board' charity workers we're out almost every day of the week in the town shopping street, and to be honest! I'll listen to what they have to say and at the end, I refuse to pay any charity with direct debits. I requested a means to post a cheque payable to the charity! some seemed ok with that, but some tried their best to get you involved with the direct debit scheme! NO WAY!.. been there ..and got a little messy to end..and junky mail etc etc.. through the post you name it.

charity .. as much as I like to give! some ways of going about it are wrong..and I'll tell them that.
**200 characters limit!! DAMN.**
JonnyRandom

Post by JonnyRandom »

ah yes gazza 1984 was da year i was born :twisted: