Hope Street

Track down any of your lost pals or family on our Genealogy section
Leicester Lass
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Hope Street

Post by Leicester Lass »

I have some family members who lived on Hope St in the 1950's but the street itself has now gone. There is another Hope Street in Jarrow but that's not the one. The family worked at Harton pit so I would guess that it was in that area somewhere. Can anyone help fine my lost street?
ALSO-D'Arcy Street off Bolden Lane just down from All Saints church - another street that's gone missing, does anyone know when this was demolished?
Many Thanks
LL
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

I have scoured every inch of a South Shields street map dated 1950 and can find no trace of a Hope Street. Sorry

8)
gazza
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gazza »

baldy, i think there iz or used to be a hope st just off green lane......
not a 100 % tho......
.......GET-ME-A-RUM-INSTEAD........
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Actually that was the first thought in my head when I started to search, and around Boldon Lane, but there is no Hope Street there.

The Chuch mentioned in another post on Temple park/King George Road is shown as St. Cuthberts.

Re - DArcy Street, the actual entrance to the Street is Still there but no actual house entrances, not sure if it still has the name plate up. It leads into Afton Court.

8)
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Hope Street was off Green Lane. Now demolished and replaced by streets called Bluebell and Honeysuckle in an attempt to erase memories of what had become a very bad area. Back in the fifties it was nice but it became run down and full of bad characters. It was known as Dope Street for obvious reasons. D'Arcy street is long gone. You have correctly identified its location. I came across it when tracing my family tree. I think it was occupied by people who worked at Harton Colliery. My relatives who lived there were miners.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Well delilah cat, I have the map of 1950 in front on me now and a current street map. Where you say Hope Street was i.e Honeysuckle and Blueball was Ryknield Way and Watling Street. Also in close proximity is School Loaning, Ermyn Way, Akeman Way and Craik Avenue. On the opposite side of Green Lane is Biddick Street and Brockley Street. There is no sign of a Hope Street. This map was printed in 1950 (Ordinance Survey Mao) and is highly detailed. Leicester Lass said her relatives lived in Hope Street in the fifties; so should be covered by this map.

8)
gazza
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gazza »

i new it waz over there, i remember seeing a girl who lived in hope st, wen i looked out her bak window, i cood see thu railway linez az they were at thu back of that street...........mind you, i wazzunt doin much train spottin wen i waz there................choo--choo..............
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Just a follow on for Leicester Lass. Hope Street was off Green Lane. The other streets I remember were Ryknield Way and Watling Street. They were behind the Victoria Bottling factory which was in Green Lane.They were among the first council houses built in Shields and they were very posh back in the late forties early fifties.
I think D'Arcy Street may have been replaced by some other early council flats in Tay Street and Wilkinson Street which in turn were replaced by Wesr Court etc. My aunt moved from D'arcy Street to Tay Street and the luxury of a bath and indoor toilet sometime in the thirties
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Well all I can say is that The Royal Ordinance Survey people must have slipped up. All of the Streets you mention are on the map, it even has the post office marked and all of the schools and Churches named. In the fifties Green Lane was divided into East Green Lane and West Green Lane but I have always known it as just Green Lane. In the early fifties when I worked for the Co-op I was delivering goods all over Shields and at that time I knew every Street in Shields but my memory is not what it was.

8)
gazza
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gazza »

itz true baldy, it waz there, it waz about `84/`85 wen i used to make
my nokturnal vizitz and it waz there then.......... :wink:
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

I can't argue with it gazza because I am only going by the map, which are usually 100% reliable. My own instinct made me think Boldon Lane area as soon as the question of where it was; came up. No doubt some one else will come in on it and enlighten us more.

8)
gazza
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gazza »

well............we live in :lol: hope.......................eh
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

gazza wrote:well............we live in :lol: hope.......................eh
Oh no! not another budding Global please. :roll:

8)
gazza
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gazza »

your safe baldy............there can only be 1 global.................. :lol:
village cat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by village cat »

Baldy is looking at a map from 1850 I reckon :wink:
gtirbri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gtirbri »

I used to live in school loaning and hope street joined on to it at the bottom
gtirbri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gtirbri »

If it helps I lived there from 1964 till 1977
mnealio
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Hope Street

Post by mnealio »

I was brought up in School Loaning at the top end on the corner to Hope Street, they havn't knocked hope street down, all they did was knock a couple down and remodernise them.

I personally left the "Bronx" as it was named when I was at school in 1990 but my father lived there til about 92, I still know everyone round there.

These are some of the names that lived there when i did

Foxy's
Honeymans
Harwoods
Guy's
Lally's

and many many more!
gtirbri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gtirbri »

I lived there from 1965 until 1977 in the cul de sac next door to the heslops
tone
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by tone »

i lived in ermyn way from 77 till 91 some brill times also had flat in hope street