Lucy Nurse

Track down any of your lost pals or family on our Genealogy section
jeff
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Lucy Nurse

Post by jeff »

Trying to establish details re Lucy Nurse nee Greaves (Grieves). Born Brancaster , Norfolk c1850. Married Anthony Nurse ,born Weybourne, Norfolk c1847, Married at South Shields register Office April 1869. Two daughters, Pleasance and Georgina.

I can find no trace of her after about 1875 despite exhaustive searches through various local and national BMD databases.

Can anyone please help?
There's nothing wrong with being mediocre........as long as you're good at it!
jeff
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Lucy Nurse

Post by jeff »

A few more details
Anthony lived at Peel Street and Lucy at Campbell Street at the time of their marriage in 1869
The 1881 Census shows Anthony and his daughters(but no Lucy) living with his brother Thomas and his family at Alexander Street Westoe.
Thomas had married Lucy's sister Agnes Isabella in 1871.
jeff
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jeff »

Since the last post above I have tried,without success to follow the disappearance of Lucy and trace her movements.

At this remove in time it is almost nigh on impossible to get a breakthrough but still I try so that I can complete another link in the family history.

After many months of fruitless searching I put in a call to Janis Blowers of the Gazette. This bore fruit almost immediately with two cousins making contact, one of whom suggested that perhaps Lucy had "done a bunk" sometime after 1875 and before 1881, with an unnamed butcher from Jarrow and left her two daughters with her husband Anthony.. A family myth had grown up around the disappearance of Lucy with all sorts of tales abounding, even some members of the family were in the dark.

Anthony is reported at various times in Census returns as widower, lodger and spent his last days with his daughter Pleasance and her husband Edward Smith.

We are therefore no further forward other than a mysterious Butcher from Jarrow. Without a surname name we cannot trace Lucy's final demise as she possibly adopted her new man's name.

There is probably someone out there with a vital piece of information, it's just a matter of finding them.

Any help or information, however irrelevant it may seem, would be appreciated.

radstockjeff
jeff
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jeff »

At long last a breakthrough.
Lucy eventually had four children, all girls. One died in infancy. Lucy then left Anthony and was living with a Robert Sharp (Census 1881) in Jarrow. This appears not to have been his real name as she soon afterwards had another daughter by a Robert Bullen. They were eventually married in Tynemouth (bigamously)then moved over to Winlaton. She had a further five children.
We have now made contact with a granddaughter of Lucy's third child(by Anthony) and so the picture is now much more complete.
Name changes and bigamous marriages do not help in tracking down long lost rellies!
Good result.
jeff
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jeff »

Having resolved the original Lucy mystery there is still one missing link in the chain. Lucy's 5th daughter (the first of the bigamous marriage) was also a Lucy- Lucy Sarah b 1881 in South Shields. She married Joseph Hindmarch in 1900 and they had one daughter Marguerite Ivy Bolam Hindmarch (1901). From that time on I have no trace of Lucy Sarah, other than a number of blind alleys, but out of the blue I had a contact from her gt granddaughter who now lives in Melbourne, (not far from where my son Andrew was living ). She is also on the lookout for the second elusive Lucy, with much the same result as mine.

????? What happened to Lucy Sarah Hindmarch and her husband Joseph?????
Any further leads out there?