Track down any of your lost pals or family on our Genealogy section
Sanddancer
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

John Allan and The Albert Medal.

Post by Sanddancer »

Can ayone help with this one??

John Allan and The Albert Medal.
On Wednesday 19th of June 1918 on RFA Mixol, an AB fell over the side between the tanker and a battle cruiser as the RFA was going alongside. There was a real danger that he would be crushed between the two ships.

A Donkeyman named John Allan jumped into the sea to save the AB and kept him afloat until a rope could be thrown to him. John Allan ensured the AB was saved first before being pulled from the sea. They both lived and John Allan was later awarded the Albert Medal for his gallantry. Chris White is trying to find the following information: -

(a) The name of the AB?
(b) Where this incident occurred - he suspects at Scapa Flow or Invergordon
(c) Where did John Allan come from?
(d) Does John Allan have any living relatives whom Chris might be put in contact with?

Chris has traced him to living with his wife and family in South Shields in 1918. His father, a Master Mariner, also lived in the same town and it would appear that both died in 1919/1920. Due to John’s age – around 30 – Chris suspects that he fell foul of the Spanish flu which was rampant at that time.

Chris is still working on trying to trace his relatives – If you can help please contact me and we will pass the information on.

Best Regards

Sanddancer
Growing old is not so bad when you consider the alternative!
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: John Allan and The Albert Medal.

Post by Pilot »

The London Gazette 20 September 1918 (from the Admiralty, 16th September, 1918)

The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the award of the Albert Medal for gallantry in saving life at sea to John Allan, Donkeyman, M.M.R., No. 942760.

The account of the services, in respect of which this medal has been conferred, is as follows: —

As the R.F.A. Mixol was dropping alongside to fuel one of H.M. Battle Cruisers on the 19th June, 1918, an Able Seaman slipped and fell overboard between Mixol and the Cruiser; Mixol was only about ten feet clear of the Cruiser, and was closing at the time.

Donkeyman John Allan, who was standing on the fore well deck of Mixol, saw the man fall and that he was struggling in the water. Although it was clear that the man in the water was in imminent danger of being crushed between the two ships, Allan at once jumped overboard in the clothes he was wearing to save him. He assisted the Able Seaman to keep afloat until a rope was thrown, which he gave to him, the Able Seaman being hauled on board before Allan took the rope himself.

The ship was in an open anchorage, and the temperature of the water was 50°.

baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Saw this same enquiry on another website.

The answer given was the same as that given by Pilot.

Chris, who is making the enquiry was aware last November,of what Pilot has posted today

There is also a book out "Heroes Of The Albert Medal" which may have more info.

No further infromation seems to be available at the moment.

8)
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

Oh!!!!!!!!!!
I voted leave

Sanddancer
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Sanddancer »

baldy.smith wrote:Saw this same enquiry on another website.

The answer given was the same as that given by Pilot.

Chris, who is making the enquiry was aware last November,of what Pilot has posted today

There is also a book out "Heroes Of The Albert Medal" which may have more info.

No further infromation seems to be available at the moment.

8)
Thanks for that guy's.
As you say, I got the original enquiry from a RFA related site, unfortunatly, I have no idea how long the enquiry has been there as I have had no internet access for the past 5 month due to being away at sea myself.

If you say Chris White is already aware, I will leave it at that.

Once again, many thanks.
Growing old is not so bad when you consider the alternative!
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Chris was aware of the reply, because he made a post thanking the person who gave the info.

8)
Stoker
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Stoker »

Hi, Anyone interested in my Grandfather John Allan can contact me and I will tell all I know about his life. Having just joined this forum I'm not yet sure of policy regarding Exchange of emails but if you post in reply I'm sure I can help. STOKER
Chris White
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Chris White »

Stoker,

I run a website which deals with the History of the RFA and am very interested in your Grandfather and his gallantry, You can find the web site at www.historicalrfa.org

Could you contact me please via the above web site - the RFA Historical Society is very keen to learn about it's history and your Grand Father with one other in the early 1950's received, as you know I am certain, today's equivalent of the George Cross

I look forward to hear from you

Chris
Stoker
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Stoker »

Hi Chris, I am sending you via email my Grandfathers history and photograph showing him with the family wearing his medal. Also I will include Census returns
up to 1911. You should have this in the next few days.Stoker