Photography

tips on how to improve your photographs

Moderator: danet

markofpity
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob

Photography

Post by markofpity » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:39 pm

I realise it's been some time since anyone posted on this thread but here's hoping someone will offer advice....

For some time I've fancied photography as a hobby but I'm now thinking of taking the step and having a bash. Trouble is, I have no idea what's involved and I'm guessing that simply buying a camera and pointing at things may do little to stimulate my interest and could do more harm than good. Therefore, can anyone answer these questions...

1. Beginners courses are available widely but they do seem a little pricey. Are these worth the money or is it best to learn as you go?

2. As I have no idea what camera would be best for a beginner, can anyone recommend a sensible and affordable option for a novice such as myself. I've read bits and pieces but as is always the case, there's jargon and terminology I simply don't get.

3. I've seen and admired framed pictures in friends houses they've created from their own shots. Is this a difficult and expensive process?
I know there are a few people on this site who enjoy photography so any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

danet

Re: Photography

Post by danet » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:12 pm

Oh my goodness, I did reply, but within your own posting...oops, sorry....might have to fix that.

danet

Post by danet » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:13 pm

markofpity wrote:I realise it's been some time since anyone posted on this thread but here's hoping someone will offer advice....
Hi Mark, will try my best to help as much as I can :D

For some time I've fancied photography as a hobby but I'm now thinking of taking the step and having a bash. Trouble is, I have no idea what's involved and I'm guessing that simply buying a camera and pointing at things may do little to stimulate my interest and could do more harm than good. Therefore, can anyone answer these questions...

1. Beginners courses are available widely but they do seem a little pricey. Are these worth the money or is it best to learn as you go?
I once did an slr course over a few weeks at the local camera house, but not much of it sticks in my memory to remember to do stuff on the camera. I found that going on youtube tutorials (just type in what you want) and it comes up for you to learn and watch over and over again.

2. As I have no idea what camera would be best for a beginner, can anyone recommend a sensible and affordable option for a novice such as myself. I've read bits and pieces but as is always the case, there's jargon and terminology I simply don't get.
I found it takes time to remember new jargon, and as you use it continually, you get to know it better. But I can tell you, if you feel daunted by the technicality of DSRL's for instance, and the manual mode, and the type of lenses, I find my hubby has that problem, and recently, bought him a Canon sx50hs, which is a long zoom camera, up to 50 optical zoom and 200 digital zoom. I had been comparing the cameras for a while, and this one is a good all rounder that takes excellent photos. It has fast start up, and takes photos very quickly, so you don't miss any action. It also takes macro up to 0mm, meaning you can get some amazing close ups with no blur! It also has the option of taking photos in manual mode too.
That's been the problem if I hand over my DSLR to anyone to take a photo, it usually comes out blurry because I may have it in manual mode. So having something like that Canon big zoom camera, takes out all the guesswork. It even has face and smile detection!
One thing you will need to do, is have a nice photo programme to edit your photos, to perhaps zoom and crop them, or experiment with light. Many are free to download from the internet.

3. I've seen and admired framed pictures in friends houses they've created from their own shots. Is this a difficult and expensive process?
Once you take your photos, and do take a lot of them from different angles, and find one you really like, and if you need to edit it, do so. Then you go to a store where they have kiosks to print the photo you want, and the size you want, with varying prices......and get a frame you can afford from any store, to fit the photo, and voila, you have your own creation.

I know there are a few people on this site who enjoy photography so any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks
Good luck, and let us know how you go, maybe even post some photos up for us to give you some constructive criticism. :D

markofpity
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob

Post by markofpity » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:22 pm

That's great Danet, thanks for taking the time to give a comprehensive response to my questions. I have been looking at some of the advice etc on Youtube and I now believe that the beginners courses at hotels etc may not be for me.

You're right about the jargon mind, it seems photography has a language all of its own.

If/when I take the plunge I'll do as you suggest and post some work for you all to see.

Thanks again

Return to “The Photo Shop”